What version of SFZ+ is this?

MagBass

On 8/10/2020 at 9:06 AM, Colin Nicholls said:

SFZ is not a soundfont player. It reads and implements the SFZ format. It is very easy to construct your own sample sets using a text editor and a collection of .WAV files.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, MagBass said:

As for the format SFZ uses, my understanding has always been that it's a soundfont player that doesn't read SFZ files. 

SFZ plays both Soundfonts and SFZ files. SFZ+ only plays Soundfonts.  SFZ is a single instrument, while SFZ+ is multitimbral and can thus also load multiple soundfonts at once, but no SFZ files.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:03 PM, MagBass said:

This Juicy SF plug that I just started using doesn't seem to respond to program change commands at all.

You have tried changing the  patch change method? I know BassMIDIVsti uses "Controller 0", while all other VSTis I have use "Normal"

Untitled.png

Edited by John Kalabric
correction SFZ can be multitimbral

3 hours ago, MagBass said:

Turns out SFZ doesn't crash CbB; it just stops working after opening a soundfont file.  The rest of CbB seems fine, but SFZ won't take any more input or do anything.

As for the format SFZ uses, my understanding has always been that it's a soundfont player that doesn't read SFZ files.  Check out this info page from back in the day:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/sfz-by-cakewalk

I don't remember there being a manual for it, so that's the best I could find.  SFZ+ merely is a multi-timbral version of the same basic internal structure.  They use the same format.  A user comment does make mention of the SFZ format, but the page specs never refer to it.

At the risk of beating a dead horse... to my knowledge, SFZ (the VSTi) does not support .sf2/.sf3 soundfont files , which might explain why it stops working when you try to load one.

SFZ (the VSTi) definitely plays .SFZ files. I believe the 64-bit VSTi installed on my system came with an earlier version of SONAR that I installed (either 8 or X2 or maybe Platinum).

I can refer you to @Craig Anderton or Simon Cann, either of which can genuinely be described as having written the book on the subject. (Highly recommend Simon's book, BTW)

2 hours ago, John Kalabric said:

SFZ is a single instrument, while SFZ+ is multitimbral and can thus also load multiple soundfonts at once, but no SFZ files.

I just learnt I was wrong on part of the above statement.:$

SFZ is Multi-timbral, but it appears that it can only load a single sound-font (or SFZ) file at a time. However, each of the 16 parts can  select and play a different patch from the loaded sound-font.

Edited by John Kalabric
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

It would be nice if someone is able to convert and update RGC's synths to work on modern DAWs without problems. So many headaches from using those 32-bit plugins would be gone.

BassMIDIVsti is 64b.