iLok errors - Lexicon PCM Effects ERRORS out again

Max Arwood

PCM Effects opens up in Samplitude just fine but errors out saying iLok software is not running.  Everything on my iLok works except the PCM Effects.  It not iLok because it works on Samplitude. 

Please  help,

Thanks ,

Max Arwood 

Edited by Max Arwood

If everything on your iLok works except PCM effects, have you tried to refresh/activate/deactivate them individually in the ILok License Manager?

Failing that, how about reinstalling PCM Effects?

Also, I don't know what you mean by "It not iLok because it works on Samplitude" when earlier you mention the error message in Samplitude.

• Like 1

I get this occasionally as well. I believe that I've just run the I-lock license manager and it refreshes  the license. I don't know for sure but I think there is a time out on the Lexicon licensing  that requires a refresh. I assume that it's an anti pirating measure from the plug vendor.

Edited by RBH

PCM Effects works in Samplitude. Haven't tried Reaper yet. I think it is a Cakewalk error some how.  Why would it work in Samplitude?  I did reinstall the software.  I will try to activate and deactivate my license to see if that helps.

Edit ->

I tried to opening the iLok software and logging in again.  Then I tried to log in and just leave the ilok software  open. Neither worked.

Edited by Max Arwood
added info

On 8/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, Max Arwood said:

Why would it work in Samplitude?

A related question is  - why do all your other iLok plug-ins work in Cakewalk?

The logic of "something works in one DAW but not another is somehow the DAW's fault" has been demonstrated false too many times to be reliable.

• Like 2

What if I told you it works in Samplitude, Reaper, Vegas video, FL Studio 20.7, Cantabile 3, Blue Cat patchwork’s, Finale25.5, And BIAB 2020 but errors out in BL cakewalk? I could test more but I have always thought it might be in cakewalk. What do you think now?

So figure out what's different with your Cakewalk setup vs those others.  I don't have Lexicon PCM but I do have Lexicon LXP and MPX and both work fine in the current Cakewalk.

Start with what reproduces the error.  If you Start Cakewalk, new empty project, add single audio track, track single Lexicon plugin to the audio track.  Does that generate the error?  What exactly is the error?

Then look at how Cakewalk is configured to load VSTs.  Don't use the plugin manager, instead use the Edit->Preferences then File->VST Settings.  Check the paths that are listed as VST Scan Paths.  What's different about that list vs those other DAWs.  Then look at those different directories and see what's actually in them.  Cakewalk will often load different/wrong DLL's (usually older versions of things) from directories you didn't expect.  Since iLok uses shared DLLs it's very possible it's loading something that's installed to the wrong place.  What is your Windows PATH set to, does it contain any directories that might effect iLok plugins?

The last step (if nothing obvious shows up) is to use a debugger and or process monitor (like SysInternals Procmon) and have it log every file and look and see what exactly it's loading and from where.  Then do the same for Reaper or Samplitude and compare the difference.  That may be harder with Lexicon plugins though since they won't load if they detect a debugger attached.

iLok is always a tricky shared thing and Lexicon hasn't been shipping updates like mad either (do make sure you are as fully updated as you can be though, the last update to PCM effects was May 03, 2019) https://lexiconpro.com/en-US/softwares/pcm-native-effects-plug-in-bundle-aax-vst-rtas-v1-2-6-windows-64-bit

Is it possible Cakewalk is trying to load the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version?  Again check your Cakewalk VST Scan Paths and what is actually in those directories can help work that one out.

Are you running Cakewalk as Admin (never a good idea but a lot of people do it to get things to work).  My Lexicon plugins load lots of resources from various directories.  Access rights to those files may be an issue.  Do you have any compatibility flags set for Cakewalk?  Again not a good idea, but does happen.  You can remove any compatibility flags you have set on Cakewalk (google for how to do it).

Sometimes with iLok issues the best answer is to uninstall the iLok software and then reinstall it.  I think Lexicon only supports hardware authorizations so there could be issues with Cakewalk and your USB ports.  Try moving the key to another USB port maybe?  Do you have any MIDI control surfaces configured in Cakewalk but not those other DAWs?

And yes I realize this is mostly a list of things you might be able to check, not a "press this button and it will fix it" kind of thing.  The problem you are reporting is pretty much going to require some serious detective work on your part.  But there is a reason it's acting the way it is, the trick is figuring out what that reason is.  Good luck.

• Like 1

While working on your list I found the answer. Somewhere in Lexicon PCM Effects. Registry entries are hard coded for "their" default location.  Installing at other locations will some how throw off the code that looks for pace. I have been trying to keep the ectra VST installation folder to a minimum.  Common files -VST32 VST2(for 64 bit) and VST3 . I guess I reinstalled ten in another directory.  BNut still....???.... Why was Cakewalk the only one that triggered that error??

Thanks for all the info. I had already done most of it but just going back through your list of possibilities helped me to figure it out. If the others would have error-ed out I think I would have found it sooner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Why was Cakewalk the only one that triggered that error??

Unlike most of those other DAWs, Cakewalk is based on and uses a bunch of Windows software libraries (MFC, C++ runtime, etc).  Things other DAWs don't (usually because those other DAWs are more cross platform so aren't tied to Windows only things).  Plugins have always used a bizarre mix of system services (and Pace can be seen as a system service too).  When the DAW and the plugin both try and use different versions of the same things, conflicts can happen.  It has sometimes been why Cakewalk is slightly more picky about some plugins than other DAWs.  It's all too easy for some other software to overwrite some shared C++ runtime library with a version it thinks is best and break someone else.  Usually it boils down to broken installers.  It can be due to a broken installer from a completely unrelated app even.

And don't forget the endless Windows updates and driver updates.  Plugins also use a bizarre mix of OpenGL/DirectX/GDI +/GDI for visuals which also has to work inside Cakewalk.

Honestly it's mostly a huge unstable mess.  I'm often amazed it works as well as it does.

I install all VST2 plugins into c:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2 (for 32-bit plugins).  I respect that VST3 plugins must be installed into c:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3 and never alter those.  I let plugins install their resources and other utilities pretty much where they want (I didn't used to, but that always lead to so much pain and suffering I've given up on it).

If they give me options I always move sample libraries/large data directories to other drives.  I've configured every known VST registry path entry to those paths, so good installers can default to the right directories (this only helps/works about 30-40% of the time though).  If given an option to review a plugin's install paths I always take it and fix anything I can.  Never use the quick/normal install.  Lately I've just been skipping the 32-bit plugins, if the installers will let me.  And I always skip the AAX/Protools plugins if I can.

Even with all that it is sometimes way harder to get things to work than it should be.  I know lately I've been avoiding buying some new products just because I don't want to deal with getting it installed and keeping it updated.

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:
10 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Why was Cakewalk the only one that triggered that error??

Unlike most of those other DAWs, Cakewalk is based on and uses a bunch of Windows software libraries (MFC, C++ runtime, etc).  Things other DAWs don't (usually because those other DAWs are more cross platform so aren't tied to Windows only things).  Plugins have always used a bizarre mix of system services (and Pace can be seen as a system service too).  When the DAW and the plugin both try and use different versions of the same things, conflicts can happen.  It has sometimes been why Cakewalk is slightly more picky about some plugins than other DAWs.  It's all too easy for some other software to overwrite some shared C++ runtime library with a version it thinks is best and break someone else.  Usually it boils down to broken installers.  It can be due to a broken installer from a completely unrelated app even.

And don't forget the endless Windows updates and driver updates.  Plugins also use a bizarre mix of OpenGL/DirectX/GDI +/GDI for visuals which also has to work inside Cakewalk.

In the summing up, all this defaults to having more risk for issues with Cakewalk than other DAWs. Deep integrity with Windows is often claimed as an advantage, but I start to see it more and more as a drawback. Other DAWs seem to be more independent from Windows issues. Sorry for the negative attitude here.

Edited by chris.r

49 minutes ago, chris.r said:

In the summing up, all this defaults to having more risk for issues with Cakewalk than other DAWs.

Not really and I should know.  I currently have installed and licensed on this machine more than 6 major DAWs.  Every last one of them has had problems at one time or another over the years.  I've had to jump through as many crazy compatibility hoops with Cubase and Reaper as I have had with Cakewalk.  The types of problems for each are different, but not one of these DAWs has ever been issue free.   And it's not just Windows either.  Macs have had (and will definitely have in the future with a CPU change) just as many crazy system issues.  And lets not even talk about issues with Linux.  The grass is pretty much brown on all sides of the lawn.  That said you need to pick your tools and on that score Cakewalk may not be a good fit for you.  Nothing wrong with deciding it's not worth it for you personally.  But other DAWs all are equally capable of being nightmares.  There are no magic bullets.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I've had to jump through as many crazy compatibility hoops with Cubase and Reaper as I have had with Cakewalk.

It almost asks for a thank you for the 'uplifting' words... yet something feels strange about saying that :D:D

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Not really and I should know.  I currently have installed and licensed on this machine more than 6 major DAWs.  Every last one of them has had problems at one time or another over the years.

I've had the same experience, on both Mac and Windows. I've had to start a project in one DAW but finish it in a different one more than once.

Well  - Getting that same error again.  Don't know what it is.  I still have an unanswered ticket in with Lexicon. I will place on Cakewalk tonight also.

I thought I had it figured out!  Oh well- Any more ideas?

Edit ->

Reinstallled  PCM Effects - Working again.  I guess I have to write a batch file to start Cakewalk which would include reinstalling PCM Effects before starting Cakewalk.

Edited by Max Arwood
Edit ->