MIDI file playback in SI BASS

Gary Shore

Question

Greetings all and much thx to everyone for all their help over here,no doubt many of you reading this are people who I've been in touch with by PM here as well and again,couldn't have gotten here without it...

Want to take a sec to send my sincere wishes to everyone for good health as we all deal with the COVID-19 situation....

Posting as I spent the day trying to figure out how to get a MIDI file to play correctly in SI Bass and wasn't sure about some of the things I came up against...have a bunch of MIDI tutorials to check out as well as sections in the Reference Guide dealing with all the aspects of using MIDI but hoping people here familiar with this stuff might have some info they could post that will point me in the right direction....

What I need to do is have the SI Bass interpret the MIDI file data correctly in terms of Note on/off,velocity etc...

Currently,the file is playing back without the note separations,each note is sustained to the next...

I can see this in the PRV and could take the time to manually edit everything but....even doing that the SI Bass isn't reflecting the note velocity,attack/decay etcetc...

This is a MIDI file made in Melodyne from an audio file which plays back 100% correct in Melodyne in terms of this stuff;according to the Melodyne manual the MIDI file is a completely accurate representation of the data....

Checked the Event List,see everything is checked in the Event Manager dialog...

Completely new to the advanced aspects of working with MIDI files in Cakewalk and just finding out about things like  the "MIDI prepare buffer" settings in Preferences and their effect on things etcetc....

??????

As always,any/all replies greatly appreciated....

2 answers to this question

I have used SI-Bass Guitar a handful of times and I never use Melodyne, but I was curious about this and did a quick test. Using the built-in "Groove It" bass pattern [under "Electronic & Pop"], I played a few different basses.  For all of them, SI-Bass seemed to respect note duration.  If you try that and get he same results I did (midi durations/note lengths work), perhaps that points to an issue with the durations in the midi file?  Just a thought.

ADDENDUM: On a hunch, I played some patterns with the guitar in mono mode and pressed my sustain pedal (CC64) and got what sounds like you described.  Any chance there is a hidden CC64 [sustain] in the file?

HMMMM:

14 hours ago, Gary Shore said:

Checked the Event List,see everything is checked in the Event Manager dialog...

Just to clarify: in the event list, the items checked in the manager just tell the event list what to display; it is not a midi event filter in terms of playing notes. So, if you uncheck everything there, no midi events will be shown, but the track will still play all midi events. 

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add an after thought about the event list; (1) to add an addendum re: CC64
  • Like 1