PC replacement recommendation request

kentgunderson

Question

I've used Cakewalk DAW's since the late 90's and am currently running Cakewalk by BandLab (always the latest updates) on an HP Pavilion p6-2330 desktop PC, with an AMD A6-5400K APU 3.60 GHz x64-based processor, 14 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64-bit v.1903. This PC is nearing a decade in age, but still very reliable although it does have its quirks such as frequent stumbling during playback and crashes.  At any rate, I'm looking to replace it soon in order to hopefully eliminate those quirks.

Question 1:   I need to determine which processor specs will competently handle the type of projects that I do. I primarily record 1-4 tracks of audio via a Tascam US 2x2 interface, one track at a time, supplemented on rare occasions by a MIDI drum track and/or virtual instrument track. Mixes generally employ Pro Channel EQ/Console and Tape Emulators/Compression on each track and master bus, with Vintage Channel V64 in the FX bin of the master bus. 

Question 2:   I had purchased a powerful and costly Dell laptop in 2007 to run Sonar on, which worked fine in my studio with a USB audio interface connected. In order to have more time to work on music, my intention was to take the laptop out of the studio and work on audio editing and preliminary mixing setups in my car on lunch breaks, running on laptop battery power. However, I never learned how to use it that way without access to AC power for the USB interface. At this point, I would still like to have the ability to edit audio tracks remotely without access to AC power. Can this be done with newer laptops? If not, I'll go the desktop route again but would be curious to know if a mini-desktop PC is recommended or not.

Thank you for any tips!

Kent Gunderson

1 answer to this question

The stumbling and crashes may or may not be cured by buying new hardware. At any rate new hardware would have to be set up de novo which might solve your problems by itself. 

Your laptop will likely run without an external audio interface using the built in sound chipset. The simple mixing you describe should run with acceptable latency, but you need to let Cakewalk know that you are using the onboard audio. 

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=AudioPerformance.29.html