Cakewalk by Bandlab 2020.08 is out (Not a Deal or maybe it is!)

ZincT

On 8/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Paul Young said:

Anyone using it on Windows 7?

Currently Yes . When I saw the update I happened to be using my Win 7 machine ..I'm still using that right now or my MacBook ....so far so good ...

I have a lot to learn about some of the new features Cakewalk introduced in the past 2 updates ....Win 7 is fine especially since  I have new things to learn 

As far as putting Cakewalk on my 3 other Win 10 Lap tops I will get around to it when I do the thing is I am currently pissed off at Microsoft ..

The 1903 Win 10 update took all 3 of my Win 10 lap tops and decided to downgrade my DVD drives and turn them into a CD Rom drives ....aaarrrggg

I have not found a fix as of yet

All 3 of my Win 10 lappy's came w Win 10 HE and factory installed DVD drives when I purchased them and up until that 1903 update I had my Drive working as DVD + all the other formats it was so posed to do ..

I do not mean to side track this thread but WTF MAN all 3 of my Win 10 lappy's have Vegas Pro and DVD authoring software on them ....some pricey stuff when you add it all up ...

What this means is I have thousands of dollars worth of software I can not currently use until this gets fixed on my end for 3 Win 10 computers ...so F ...U ...M S .

I am so sick and tired of having stuff forced on me that I do not want ...

I don't care what any one tells me Win 10 does not perform circles around Win 7 in a meaningful way where I am seeing a big difference  in performance  or my workflow  being enhanced over here at my house with what I do ..

Please don't take what I'm saying  personal if you love computers or if you indeed are a computer guru. I look at it this way when  a guitar player sucks playing his 500 dollar guitar they are probably still gonna suck playing a 6 thousand dollar Gibson Historic Les Paul ....LOL

It's a 2 way street man I may be that guy too you ...you may be that guy too me ...who gives a fill in the blank ...still bound by music and the love of making music so it's all good

In other new I have drank all sorts of flavors of The Digital Kool Aid over the years and I decided to go Kool Aid free for a while .It may be time to unclog the digital pipes ...ex,

Last night I sat and listened to 8 mix's I did on my  self contained Boss HD recorder and had an epiphany ....my mix's held up for music I did 15 years ago  and my only beef was  once I had gotten around to using Home  Studio  on a PC   in 2005 I couldn't handle having to squint trying to edit on a small LCD screen .

For me the epiphany part was the sound was there  even by what I consider today's standards  ..

.thankfully I still have my HD recorder in a box in a closet  ...

I do love Cakewalk...Love the software and love where the company is doing ...yeah I'm cool w all that ..I'm not loving MS ...

Kenny

PS sorry about the rant peoples ,

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Anyone using it on Windows 7?

The sad part for me is some developers stop supporting win 8.1, like Celemony for example. Then you're forced to stick with this bizarre thing called Win10 if you want to keep using Melodyne. The problem is that Melodyne probably could still work on 8.1 but the installer doesn't allow to install on it anymore. Here's where my plans to go back to 8.1 fail. Sick ☹️

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, chris.r said:

The sad part for me is some developers stop supporting win 8.1, like Celemony for example. Then you're forced to stick with this bizarre thing called Win10 if you want to keep using Melodyne. The problem is that Melodyne probably could still work on 8.1 but the installer doesn't allow to install on it anymore. Here's where my plans to go back to 8.1 fail. Sick ☹️

Pretty sure 8.1 is the bizarre thing, not Win10.

8.1 was a niche OS only around for a short time.    Though I certianly understand the frustration, imagine being a MAC user and having almost everything break with an OS upgrade.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Pretty sure 8.1 is the bizarre thing, not Win10.

I would love to agree with you but I cant. For me Win10 is a creepy creature that is constantly reshaping itself to something different in front of my eyes and sneaking in new problems every other week. It can't stay the way you set it, it wan't respect your preferred ways of utilizing operating system and if you refuse to creating microsoft ID it will act like an adware throwing a blue screen of 'welcome' in your face. My bad luck is that I'm forced to keep using it. /end of rant

:)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I would love to agree with you but I cant. For me Win10 is a creepy creature that is constantly reshaping itself to something different in front of my eyes and sneaking in new problems every other week. It can't stay the way you set it, it wan't respect your preferred ways of utilizing operating system and if you refuse to creating microsoft ID it will act like an adware throwing a blue screen of 'welcome' in your face. My bad luck is that I'm forced to keep using it. /end of rant

Are you using the home version or something?

While it does have updates, I haven't seen any fundemental changes in the Pro version since the initial release.

The welcome screen only pops up once in a blue moon after an update.  I do not run into it even on a monthly basis.

I have 8.1 on a "tablet" that I couldn't update to 10 due to space reasons.    Win 10 feels more like an upgraded 8.1 to me.

I would prefer the updates to be manageable, but I also work with enough security to know and appreciate (some) of the updates that are happening to keep current with the latest threats.    It is the first Windows OS, I felt generally comfortable with from a security perspective without having a bunch of other "anti" apps running in the background.  

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Are you using the home version or something?

I'm on Pro, I realize there are some possibilities to dive in the policies but I'm not a power user and since the updates are forced anyway I took the approach of doing the least amount of changes and not having to re-set everything over and over again. My typical style of utilizing the OS is set and forget and I'm used to have a session opened for days if not weeks while at home. Also I bought a nice and robust HP mini desktop with an intention to use it as a host for software instruments on stage without having to draw along any monitors or pointer devices, it could work by using Akai VIP and a Vip enabled keyboard but the blue screen quickly blew the whole idea out in the air. What a bummer, very unprofessional as for Windows Pro. Actually with Win10 all of this is not possible anymore. I could keep using win7 or 8.1 but there are some compatibility issues starting now so I'm puzzled. Looks like sticking with the inferior (for me) Win10 is the way to go in a long run. I may separate the on-stage task for another box with Win8.1 on it and stay on 10 at home but that's another money spent unnecessary. Hope you starting see how all of this add up and quickly becomes a pain to deal with in my case if I want a quiet ride and peace of mind.

Never had any security issues on Windows 7, XP etc. Since Win7 I stopped using 3rd party antiviral software, just a scanner on demand once in a while.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

I think of the evolution of win 7/8 to 10 as being like if a still handsome older man got together with a good looking younger woman  but somehow they managed to have this ugly, pale ginger kid who constantly misbehaves and secretly spends most his time being very mean to cats and planning to burn the house down while his parents are asleep.

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Bottom line is that we can't configure and use it the way we liked it anymore. We have to use it the way someone serves it for us. Windows is no more a subject of merchandise, now we became the subject of merchandise.

I have basically nothing on my desktop.

The start button opens a menu of quick access to programs organized and categorized exactly the way I want them.

It is more configured to "me" than any other version I've used, which dates back to Windows 2.0 (maybe even 1.0, I don't recall and I also owned an Apple in the early 80s)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

It is more configured to "me" than any other version I've used...

Honestly I'm glad it works for you. I can't leave the session open for a while because I've already lost some data in an unsaved work-in-a-progress documents or lost previously opened tabs in the browser when Windows decided to reboot after Microsoft pushed new update. It didn't even care to ask for saving any work. Never used to be like that before. They somehow stopped to care for the user as much as for their own product.

Edited by chris.r

28 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Honestly I'm glad it works for you. I can't leave the session open for a while because I've already lost some data in an unsaved work-in-a-progress documents or lost previously opened tabs in the browser when Windows decided to reboot after Microsoft pushed new update. It didn't even care to ask for saving any work. Never used to be like that before. They somehow stopped to care for the user as much as for their own product.

Well I don't think it is wonderful or anything. But I do think it is an improvement over 8.1.

I never leave sessions open without saving work, it is just a good habit to form when working with computers.   And restoring browser tabs are just a few button clicks.

In Chrome:   Vertical 3 dots in the upper right ->  history -> recently closed tabs.  And if you had say 15 tabs open it will open all of them not just make you do it one by one.

Now you might lose forms you filled out or something like that, but I recover 20+ tabs without issue hundreds of times and don't even think about it anymore.

You might want to just start with a basic, scheduling of an update when it prompts.   I've worked with over 100 Win 10 machines and never had one push an update that couldn't have been moved to an "off hour" running Professional.

Edited by Brian Walton

53 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I never leave sessions open without saving work, it is just a good habit to form when working with computers.   And restoring browser tabs are just a few button clicks.

Yes I agree but it can happen if you suddenly end up with an addition of two new sweet little vivid toddlers to your family that constantly suck out over 80% of your life :D you just leave your life as is and come back tomorrow... maybe. The tabs were incognito, I formed a habit to open 'temporary' websites in incognito to keep my little ssd in sanity because I hated how chrome wasted the space with gigabytes of browser data after just a few months. Personal workflow.

Edited by chris.r

My Teenagers are on lock-down and actually looking forward to remote learning.  Both of my girls are taking it in stride. I figure it is a good test for them as in college you are mostly on your own. Thank goodness my girls are good students. I do feel for the kids that need extra help and hands on learning.

Anyway CbB is a deal because we get a free blog I mean Forum to converse on😉

Peace