Mothman

Starise

Here's one I made I thought might go well as the theme to a horror movie so I tied it in with Mothman. Would have liked to sequence a video to it but no time to do that. Comments all welcome. I'll be back around before too long and comment on others work here. Thanks!

• Like 1

Yep, something sinister going on here. I think it works, but maybe too much going on in a couple of spots?
I picked up Spitfire BBC orchestra recently and thinking about doing a project like this. Wondering if you can suggest any resources to get started? Thanks.

Very nice! I was on headphones and so got the separations - I'd vote for pulling the edge elements in a bit more toward center. Personal choice for sure - but strings hard panned are for me offputting because I expect strings to be a bit more blendy. It's hard to pull off soaring string lines if they are heavily panned.

That out of the way, this piece has movement and a bit of creepiness and uncertainty, all useful in a horror or a melodramatic context, so you are definitely well on your way there!

cheers,

-Tom

Douglas- Thanks for listening and comments!

Bjorn- Thanks for comments! In subsequent listens I have come to the same conclusions about it maybe being a little too busy here and there. This is actually the BBC Discovery Orchestra augmented with Amadeus in places. Amadeus is the toms and a few of the brass parts. If you already have templates for the BBCSO that's probably the best. For this I used a patch John Lehmkuhl made for his UNIFY plugin especially for BBCSO Discovery. You could do the same things in the DAW but it was easier to load his patches for this since he has already mapped everything across the keyboard by section using it.  Since BBCSO comes up short in a few places instrumentally here and there I augmented with Amadeus Symphony orchestra. You probably wouldn't need to do that.

Grem- Thanks for listening!

Tom- Thanks for those comments. Next time I probably won't pan as true to an accurate symphony seating arrangement. I think I'm panned maybe 20-25% max according to the standard seating but I hear it as well. I could have used a more accurate reverb arrangement too IOW feed some of the verb back to the other side. which might have taken some of that on the edge feeling away.

Nigel- Many thanks for comments and listening. Nigel isn't such a common name around these parts and so I hope you'll pardon me as I have come across at least three Nigels in the past several weeks which seem highly unusual. Could they all be you? IDK, do you frequent another forum on composition? I came across a Nigel there too, then there's one on the CH thread I think is Wibbles? Could be wrong there.

Wookie- Comments appreciated! Thanks for lending out your furry ears temporarily.  :DThis further confirms the issue.

• Thanks 1