Installing Cakewalk

Jerry Gerber

Sure you can.

Keep in mind how updates work:

• If the machine is current, BandLab Assistant downloads and applies an update installer. This is not the full version of CbB. It is very much like the next release's rollback installer.
  • If the machine is not current or an initial install, BandLab Assistant downloads the full ~500MB installer.

BandLab Assistant deletes the installer after it is run. It is possible to make a copy of the installer after the download is complete and before the install is complete. Running CbB after initiating the download causes BA to issue a message advising the program is running and must be shutdown to continue. This message is displayed after the download is complete. Take as much time as you want to copy the installer, then shutdown CbB and let the update continue.

BA uses %appdata%\bandlab-assistant\Downloads for its temporary installer storage.

3 hours ago, scook said:

Sure you can.

Keep in mind how updates work:

• If the machine is current, BandLab Assistant downloads and applies an update installer. This is not the full version of CbB. It is very much like the next release's rollback installer.
  • If the machine is not current or an initial install, BandLab Assistant downloads the full ~500MB installer.

BandLab Assistant deletes the installer after it is run. It is possible to make a copy of the installer after the download is complete and before the install is complete. Running CbB after initiating the download causes BA to issue a message advising the program is running and must be shutdown to continue. This message is displayed after the download is complete. Take as much time as you want to copy the installer, then shutdown CbB and let the update continue.

BA uses %appdata%\bandlab-assistant\Downloads for its temporary installer storage.

Hey scook,

I don't mean to be trouble, but I'm not sure what you mean.  When I open Cakewalk (the latest version) and then open Bandlab Assistant, BA only gives me the option to open the program (even though it's already open).  BA won't initiate a download because (I think) it detects that I have the latest version installed.   Do I have to uninstall Cakewalk first?  Sorry, I am confused...

1 minute ago, jsg said:

BA won't initiate a download because (I think) it detects that I have the latest version installed.

This is correct.

1 minute ago, jsg said:

Do I have to uninstall Cakewalk first? 

You can if you want to. Doing so causes BA to present the install option as if it is a first time install.

15 minutes ago, scook said:

This is correct.

You can if you want to. Doing so causes BA to present the install option as if it is a first time install.

But if I uninstall  CW then I cannot have it open while downloading it again because I've uninstalled it!I'm not understanding what you mean... Is it possible to download the app and be able to save Cakewalk. exe without uninstalling it?

4 hours ago, jsg said:

But if I uninstall  CW then I cannot have it open while downloading it again because I've uninstalled it!I'm not understanding what you mean... Is it possible to download the app and be able to save Cakewalk. exe without uninstalling it?

BandLab Assistant and Cakewalk are two different apps.

If you uninstall Cakewalk, BandLab assistant is still there.

So:

• Uninstall Cakewalk
  • Open up BandLab Assistant's download folder in Windows Explorer
  • Download via BandLab Assistant
  • Cakewalk.exe should appear in the folder - wait until it's fully downloaded (i.e. when the setup starts)
  • Copy / Paste it to another folder

9 hours ago, jsg said:

Applying the rollback before installing the next update also causes BA to download the full installer. To get the current release, apply the last two rollback installers.

As noted above, even without running CbB to interrupt the installer there is enough time during a full install to grab a copy of installer before it is deleted. I used to do it this way.

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

BandLab Assistant and Cakewalk are two different apps.

If you uninstall Cakewalk, BandLab assistant is still there.

So:

• Uninstall Cakewalk
  • Open up BandLab Assistant's download folder in Windows Explorer
  • Download via BandLab Assistant
  • Cakewalk.exe should appear in the folder - wait until it's fully downloaded (i.e. when the setup starts)
  • Copy / Paste it to another folder

Thank you msmcleod for clarifying how to save a backup of Cakewalk.  That was easy...

Jerry