My Better Days

Grem

Well here is a song I have been working on for a little while!! I wrote it one day at work. The first verse and the last chorus came first with the rest coming as you hear it. I just wanted it to be a simple song. Very minimum instruments. But it turned into a little more than I had started out for. But I'm good with it and really like the way it turned out. 

Any comments and critiques would be welcomed and appreciated.

• Like 3

Absolutely beautiful bro! Loved the lyrics. I can relate to them a lot. Nice harmonies in the chorus. I really liked when the B3 started coming in toward the middle. The slide guitar added so nice colors to the mix too. Really great!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leadfoot said:

Absolutely beautiful bro! Loved the lyrics. I can relate to them a lot. Nice harmonies in the chorus. I really liked when the B3 started coming in toward the middle. The slide guitar added so nice colors to the mix too. Really great!

Thank you very much for the listen! Really means a lot Leadfoot. Really!

• Like 1

Hey Michael, didn't I sell you my rme interface awhile ago?  Loved the tune and your voice.  I can relate to the feelings expressed, at our age the days can seem bittersweet  There's great beauty to the world God created.  You-know-who is bent on destroying it.  We do not inherit the world from our parents, we borrow it from our children.

• Like 4
  • Meh 1

Hey Grem !

Very nice to hear something new from you, HA ! wish I could "write songs at work" then perhaps it would be my job :) . . . it's a slowly unfolding groove, and yes, the way you kept it simple really worked for me, not a lot of rhyming overly poetic lyrics, but very much from the heart. Thanks for posting, going back for another listen . . .

EDIT . . . on my second listen I think I got it more, and found it to be a powerful message for me, personally . . . thank you Grem.

Edited by noynekker
second song listen comment
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, noynekker said:

EDIT . . . on my second listen I think I got it more, and found it to be a powerful message for me, personally . . . thank you Grem.

Thank you. That means a lot to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

didn't I sell you my rme interface awhile ago? 

Yes you did. Best AI I ever had. I really didn't know what I was missing. I recently sold it on ebay. But I would not hesitate to get another RME product.

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

We do not inherit the world from our parents, we borrow it from our children.

And we have to give them something. Good way to look at it. 

Thanks for the listen Dave.

• Like 1

Thanks for listen Douglas. On the mix I did use Izotope Nectar with Mix Assistant. That was the first time I used it from start to finish of the mix. It really helps me a lot. Really like the program.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

Very well done. Sounds professional to me.  I see that you used Izotope Nectar and Mix Assistant which I have but haven't used yet. Sounds like it worked very well here.  Gonna try it out next project.

I like the guitar and organ accompaniment and the emotion behind the words.
The song is kind of laid back until ~4:45 when the intensity notched up. I was expecting that a bit earlier. Just my preference.
I'm a lyrics guy and pay attention to words. Excuse me for asking, but what were the lyrics ~ 0:40?   "<something> much for nothing"

It's so satisfying to create something and love the way it turned out like you've done here. 

• Like 2

@Wookiee Thanks for the listen Wookiee. I was listening to some of your stuff yesterday. can't remember the names, one of them had Time in the title.

@Bapu Thanks for the very kind words. And funny you mention the drums, I was hearing that in several places, and I stated to 'fix' it. But I said to myself I got a real drummer because I wanted his performance. So I talked myself out of altering it.... much!! LOL !

@bjornpdx Thanks for the listen. DeDe did the organ. I sent him a rough demo with drums and guitar and he played to that. I really love what he did. Makes the song for me. My wife asked me.. did you play the organ? When I told her no she said... "I didn't think so!!" She plays piano... she thought I was getting better than her!! LOL

As to the words "Never asked much for nothing"

@garybrun Thank you Gary. Means a lot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

@Bapu Thanks for the very kind words. And funny you mention the drums, I was hearing that in several places, and I stated to 'fix' it. But I said to myself I got a real drummer because I wanted his performance. So I talked myself out of altering it.... much!! LOL !

Understood.

• Like 1

Super laid back and understated, really cool and calming. Kudos on those vocals and the lyrics - very heartfelt, and I like your voice! Kind of a 70's throwback!

For me a mix crit might be the bass guitar, it seems to fill the mix with a bit overmuch low energy. I think it is good in volume, but it's kind of puffy, like the bass guit is allowed too much range. I don't know where your upper EQ rolloff is for the bass, but you might try a bit lower, and maybe a notch cut around 100 or 150 to boot. ?  When the bass and the B3 are going at the same time, I think the b3 suffers 'cause the bass is filling everything up down there.

Anyway just my .02 Zimbabwe dollars - great tune, love the vibe.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Kind of a 70's throwback!

Yep, you got me there!! 70's music influenced me a lot!!

Thanks for the listen Tom. Thanks for the advice on the low end. I knew I was only getting the upper part of the B3 in there, but never thought about the bass drowning it out. Will keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Edited by Grem

Hi Grem

Really liked this - lyrics  and vocals great I thought.

I think I do agree  on the comments re interaction between bass and drums - not sure what it is but perhaps a second look / mix might just help - it is no big issue, but it might just help an other wise stellar track

Great job

Nigel

• Like 1