Hotel California (Eagles cover)

SteenE

I've been doing some covers lately  mostly  for vocal practise, but also to be better at the production part. This is my idea how this song would have sounded if it was released in the 80's. The structure is the way we do it in my choir replacing the guitar solo with another chorus and ending, so that's courtesy my choirleader Lene.
I didn't use Melodyne as it pretty much deafeats the purpose of try to get better at hitting the notes.

Edited by soundregion
New mix and new vocals. Bandlab mastering.

Brave man ! Not to my taste as it's one of my all time greats but I see where your going with it, I just feel doing a cover should either copy the orig' or do it different with your own take on the hook ... Joe's power lead at the end of this song finishes it in spades and perhaps you could incorporate your interpretation.

Spak 

As singing practice, a good choice I reckon. I love this song, but no power on earth would make me touch a cover of it. It's a most excellent song, possibly criminally overplayed in the 1970's . . .  You have talent as many do - I just think there are some songs that probably shouldn't be covered. Right? Wrong? Anyway, kudos on your courage and best of luck with it! Big, big balls! Next up, Stairway to Heaven?  :)

cheers,

-Tom

Edited by emeraldsoul

19 hours ago, SPAK said:

Brave man ! Not to my taste as it's one of my all time greats but I see where your going with it, I just feel doing a cover should either copy the orig' or do it different with your own take on the hook ... Joe's power lead at the end of this song finishes it in spades and perhaps you could incorporate your interpretation.

Spak 

I think that you're covering it like the original, you'd better ad something like better vocal, better guitar etc. and that's not really going to happen. Me trying to battle that guitar solo, would not end well 😁

8 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

As singing practice, a good choice I reckon. I love this song, but no power on earth would make me touch a cover of it. It's a most excellent song, possibly criminally overplayed in the 1970's . . .  You have talent as many do - I just think there are some songs that probably shouldn't be covered. Right? Wrong? Anyway, kudos on your courage and best of luck with it! Big, big balls! Next up, Stairway to Heaven?  :)

cheers,

-Tom

I know how many people feel about covers and I particularly remember the reaction to Madonna's "American pie". I never felt the same way at all. People often cover my favorite song and I don't mind that. I can always turn it off and listen to the original. For me I (almost) always enjoy hearing a song in a different way. 
I did think about a Beatles cover and I have an idea about arranging Iron Maiden as swing. Should I refrain from doing so ? 😂

Anywasy thanks for listining. Any comments on the vocals? I have really no idea how it sounds to other people. I know I don't much care about hearing my own singing, but I hear that's pretty normal even for big stars, so I don't really know.

40 minutes ago, soundregion said:

Any comments on the vocals? I have really no idea how it sounds to other people. 

Vocals are OK, which I know is 'damned with faint praise'. You're a bit shaky here and there but mostly it's on pitch. What occurred to me  is that you might be concentrating too hard on hitting the notes, and forgetting to get some feel or passion in there; it's all a bit one-level. Maybe relax a bit and just go for it. (this coming from someone who can't sing at all, so large pinch of salt required..)

Hi,

Very interesting take on a stylistic cover of a much loved classic.

I definitely get a mid 80's style electronica vibe from using keys and synths instead of the original instrumentation, and the music seems to work well as a scaled down version.

James had some excellent observations and advice about the vocals in the post above.  I think with a little more practice and a bit more confidence and attitude when you record the vocals, you can definitely take this up to another level.👍

Keep up the good work, my friend!
Bob

Man is it tough to cover this song. Possibly because we have all heard it so many times our ears can hear any little imperfection.

And I heard a couple in the vocal track or something like that.

Me personally, I never had that voice to do cover songs like this.. It's also what lead me to sing my own stuff. I just didn't sound like any of those singers, I sounded like me. So I focused more on trying to find me. I did, but It took like 10 years :D

Good job man, experiment with Melodyne. I don't like to use it on everything but when my ear picks out bad notes, I fix them right there and then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Man is it tough to cover this song. Possibly because we have all heard it so many times our ears can hear any little imperfection.

And I heard a couple in the vocal track or something like that.

Me personally, I never had that voice to do cover songs like this.. It's also what lead me to sing my own stuff. I just didn't sound like any of those singers, I sounded like me. So I focused more on trying to find me. I did, but It took like 10 years :D

Good job man, experiment with Melodyne. I don't like to use it on everything but when my ear picks out bad notes, I fix them right there and then.

I know what you mean. It's easier to do your own stuff, because you don't have to compare it

4 hours ago, James G said:

Vocals are OK, which I know is 'damned with faint praise'. You're a bit shaky here and there but mostly it's on pitch. What occurred to me  is that you might be concentrating too hard on hitting the notes, and forgetting to get some feel or passion in there; it's all a bit one-level. Maybe relax a bit and just go for it. (this coming from someone who can't sing at all, so large pinch of salt required..)

I agree completely. I have been practising this song in the original key, but one octave lower, so in this key it's a bit new. I'm going to practise i this key and hope be ok to losen up a bit,

4 hours ago, Bob Oister said:

Hi,

Very interesting take on a stylistic cover of a much loved classic.

I definitely get a mid 80's style electronica vibe from using keys and synths instead of the original instrumentation, and the music seems to work well as a scaled down version.

James had some excellent observations and advice about the vocals in the post above.  I think with a little more practice and a bit more confidence and attitude when you record the vocals, you can definitely take this up to another level.👍

Keep up the good work, my friend!
Bob

Thanks, Bob. My first cover that I used for singing alon in the car was a bit more like the original, but then I thought about doing it in a more contempoary sound.

Thanks for listening, all. I updated the mix. Heard it on the big speakerand was not pleased. Still not intirerly satisfied, but getting closer.

Nice interpretation.

I used cover Hotel California in a duo, and also as a solo act about 15 years ago. My Roland VG88 was invaluable for switching between 12 string and 6 string guitars.

I used it to end the first set - I needed to give my voice a break afterwards as it's just at the edge of my range.

Talking of different versions though, I love this Amplesound demo of the live acoustic version (starts around 0:45):

Takes big huevos to attempt. I'll stick with Randy Meisner's bass line.

Here's another interesting cover of H.C. Two Estonian guitarists cover it, then Barry Kingsbeer added vocals and bass. The Estonians have over 24 million views. Barry? Just over 30 views in 2 years. Shame. I've had the MP3 files for awhile. Here are the 2 YouTube vids.

One day, I'd like to do a cover called Hotel Arizona for No Más Muertes (http://forms.nomoredeaths.org/en/) if they make a second CD with donated songs.

Edited by John Maar

22 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

cheers,

-Tom

Me, I say GO

though there is only one Eagles, there is only one you too

fire away mofo

I'm working on a Stairway to Heaven cover as I think.