FINALLY!

Ken McMullan

I used cakewalk about 20 years ago when it was the defacto standard. I recently reacquired my desire to modify MIDI files.

Now that the additional hurdle of being coerced into installing this Bandlab thing (I've no idea what it is, what it's for and I don't care), and eventually finding my way to the actual cakewalk installer, I'm asked which add-ons I'd like to install.

What's the correct answer?

Now I would never dream of asking "what's the best" or such things on forums as it's a completely subjective question, but how the hell should I know which of these presviously unheard, ***** named, and totally unexplained items I'd like to select?

...and, most importantly, which of them is NOT going to force me to install some social media platform which I'm not in the slightest bit interested in?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Ken McMullan said:

I used cakewalk about 20 years ago when it was the defacto standard. I recently reacquired my desire to modify MIDI files.

Now that the additional hurdle of being coerced into installing this Bandlab thing (I've no idea what it is, what it's for and I don't care), and eventually finding my way to the actual cakewalk installer, I'm asked which add-ons I'd like to install.

What's the correct answer?

Now I would never dream of asking "what's the best" or such things on forums as it's a completely subjective question, but how the hell should I know which of these presviously unheard, ***** named, and totally unexplained items I'd like to select?

...and, most importantly, which of them is NOT going to force me to install some social media platform which I'm not in the slightest bit interested in?

None of the add-on installers in the menu that pops up when clicking "install" for Cakewalk have anything to do with social media. You've got installers for the Studio Instruments VSTs (this installer also includes demo projects), the Drum Replacer plugin, a demo of Melodyne, and the Theme Editor if you want to customize Cakewalk's appearance. None of those are required to install/run Cakewalk, but they're all just additional free tools.

Hi Ken - I understand your suspicions and concerns but don't worry - as far as I know after a couple of years of using CbB all that there is to downloading and installing CbB and it's associate files is a brilliant DAW experience and one that is constantly being updated. Welcome to the club - you'll find lots of people here willing to give advice and help when it's needed - and have the occasional bit of fun along the way! 

• Thanks 1

Ken, I'm a happy Cakewalk by Bandlab user, and don't have any social media accounts.  NONE.

Bandlab products require an installer that downloads/installs the programs.  That's it.  Nothing to do with social media.

Many audio software developers have similar installers/program managers (Steinberg, Native Instruments, Toontrack, XLN Audio, Izotope, Waves,  just to name a few).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

Well you have one...BandLab.

It is the only one I have too but I have not used it much.

Is Bandlab considered social media? Okay, you got me, lol!  But I only use it to install Cakewalk. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ken McMullan said:

All of them wont force you 😛

You all seem great and this is clearly a vibrant, helpful community.

I feel that Cackewalk (or presumably Bandlab are the new owners) have done themselves a disservice. Can I really be blamed for suspecting a piece of software which has such a baffling installation route which obliges me to install and create an account on a social media platform that I don't want?

Knowedgeable and eager a you folk all are, it is encouraging to know that a number among you have quietly forgotten about Bandlab, too!

10 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

None of the add-on installers in the menu that pops up when clicking "install" for Cakewalk have anything to do with social media. You've got installers for the Studio Instruments VSTs (this installer also includes demo projects), the Drum Replacer plugin, a demo of Melodyne, and the Theme Editor if you want to customize Cakewalk's appearance. None of those are required to install/run Cakewalk, but they're all just additional free tools.

I can read. I got the list of titles with the checkboxes. I'm still at a complete loss, though, as to what any of these items are. It's undeniable that theyhave teh odour, like so many other pieces of "free" software, of something which is trying to tag itself into an installer in the full knowledge that nobody ever reads the EULA!

If they're so great, why not just install them anyway as part of the package? As I say, I'm obliged to install Bandlab whether I want to or not.

10 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Also can I ask that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. You have access to an amazing programme,which as i say above is being constantly updated, at no cost - what is not to like?! 🙂

The answer is twofold: The circuituitous route by which I had to obtain the software, and its having invited me to also add some previously unknown, and undescribed add-ins.

9 hours ago, JonD said:

Many audio software developers have similar installers/program managers (Steinberg, Native Instruments, Toontrack, XLN Audio, Izotope, Waves,  just to name a few).

Many freeware authors also have sub installers and some of them are adware. That's not even  my point. These are titles meaningful only to people who have used them; meaningless to someone who's installing the software for the first time.

10 hours ago, Hillmy said:

OH NO! Does this revoke peoples ability to join the Anti-Social Social Club? 😛

I do not have FB and can't imagine I ever will; however. I have used several sites that have open-to-the-public content. On the other hand, I have explored Bandlab (the online app) with the idea of maybe someday using it collaboratively.  I guess you could say I'd be a candidate for the Semi [or Selectively] Anti-Social Social Club--the SASS Club as opposed to the one you named! :P  

• Haha 2

Ultimately NONE of those add-ons are required to run Cakewalk as a professional DAW. They're optional because everyone's needs are different. If I'm not planning to edit themes, why would I bother grabbing the Theme Editor? If I don't plan on doing sample replacement on drums, why waste time and space grabbing Drum Replacer? It's not really that complicated.

The best news is that after you're up to speed with everything, spent time in this forum learning about things or going through the help docs, and you think "hey, you know what? Maybe having X add-on would be a useful thing for me after all" it's just a couple of clicks away.

My advice is just grab the main program and not worry about anything else until you need it. I myself find those add-ons super useful, but as I said, everyone's needs are different.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ken McMullan said:

I can read. I got the list of titles with the checkboxes. I'm still at a complete loss, though, as to what any of these items are. It's undeniable that theyhave teh odour, like so many other pieces of "free" software, of something which is trying to tag itself into an installer in the full knowledge that nobody ever reads the EULA!

I'm not sure how else to explain what's included in the sub installers than saying they're plugins... not without just giving you a bunch of links to docs about all of these plugins which are readily available both in our documentation and many user driven tutorials docs that are out there. It's bonus content that used to be included with the paid versions of SONAR so that way you can use additional features immediately with Cakewalk by BandLab.

They're broken into separate installers because that means you don't have to download and install them every time you do a Cakewalk update. Or maybe you don't like virtual instruments and want to save the hard drive space? Drum Replacer could still be handy there if you want to beef up a part though. Some people like to make custom CbB themes, you'll find a bunch of them on this forum or there's Facebook groups of people who share their own custom themes. Other people don't have an interest to make their own, in which case, you don't need to install it. Melodyne is only a trial, but we leverage features from Melodyne for functions like tempo extraction which will work, even with the demo version. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ken McMullan said:

I can read.

Then google this stuff and read. Newsflash: you are not unique in this world, others have had the same questions, although have expressed them in a polite and respectful manner... and they have been answered. So, go do your homework, instead of coming here complaining about and demanding stuff you ignore because you just don´t want to take the time to research about it. Want some help? start by helping yourself. Don´t like what´s being offered? then don´t install, nobody is forcing you.

• Like 5

It's common practice for many software companies to make add-ons as separate installers. For example one DAW has around 20 GB of content. But maybe you already have Kontakt, SampleTank, and a ton of loops. I think it's considerate that you're not forced to download 20 GB of stuff when all you really want is the 180 MB DAW.

In return for using an installer that checks whether your version is up to date and gives the option to download optional plug-ins,  you get a highly capable DAW for free. I just don't see how anyone can have a problem with that. 

• Like 6