Steinberg Instruments Sale Up to 50% Off

Reid Rosefelt

One thing that pops out for me is that you can get HALion 6 for $125 if you have Kontakt, Falcon, Omnisphere, Machfive, or Komplete. That's a great deal.

I wasn't aware that Soundiron ported Olympus Choir to HALion.

4 Cinematique instruments for HALion.

I love HALion, but they have not been successful getting third party companies to create libraries for that platform.  Not like Kontakt or even UVI.

https://new.steinberg.net/promotion/summer-sale/

• Like 1

The way Steinberg's handles crossgrades is kind of super painful.  Expect a whole lot of suffering to get that extra crossgrade discount.  I did the crossgrade to Nuendo from Abelton Live 10 Suite (so I could keep my Cubase license).  It seemed easy enough at first, the problem was once they approve it, actually finishing the purchase is near impossible with their not running the store.  I finally got it to go through (several emails later), but the experience was so annoying I doubt I'll ever try crossgrading anything with Steinberg ever again.

For those intending to crossgrade: do it early and don't wait until the end of the sale, because the process takes a few days.

I did a crossgrade to HALion 6 during a past sale, on the last day of the sale. I received the approval after the sale was over and the shop was back to the original price. After a few emails back and forth the solution was to purchase the approved crossgrade at full price, email the receipt to the support person and wait for a partial refund. They did honor the deal, but temporarily paying full price wasn't that comfortable.

BTW: Any rumors of a HALion 7? given Steinberg's upgrade policies it may be worth it to wait before activating

11 minutes ago, Dzilizzi said:

Is there a reason to get HALion if you have Kontakt, Omnisphere, and Falcon?  I don't really use it when I use Cubase, so I have no idea if there is anything special about it. 

Quick answer 

no

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well - Halion has MPE capability (as does Falcon), decent note expression integration if you use that, sound creation, flex phrasor which is cool. Library wise though can't hold a candle to Kontakt of course. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dzilizzi said:

Is there a reason to get HALion if you have Kontakt, Omnisphere, and Falcon?  I don't really use it when I use Cubase, so I have no idea if there is anything special about it. 

FWIW.. I am looking at the Halion upgrade. In my workflow I use the Halion SE plugin and it's piano for the chord track in Cubase exclusively. I find it uses less resources and integrates great. I am looking through the YT videos at what the full version can give you compared to the SE.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, simon said:

Quick answer 

no

I couldn't disagree more.  I have Kontakt, Omnisphere, and Falcon, and HALion is awesome. I wouldn't part with it for the world.  It's easily one of the most powerful pieces of music software that I own and it does things that none of the others can do.   It's a beast. 

But it is not easy.  You have to spend time to get the most out of it.   It is not something where you just take the presets and play.  You have to roll your own.  Once you start doing that, it's fun.  I made a video about the flexphraser.

I can understand why somebody wouldn't want to put in the time that HALion requires.  But Falcon is no roll in the hay either.

So I would say... if you already own 100-1000 virtual instruments that you're currently not using, HALion is probably not for you.  😄  I admit that I  use it less since I got Falcon.  But it is still very much in my templates because of its unique flexphraser

• Like 2