Question

I am new to all of this, as my precursor to anything going on. Thus far I have been able to get my Scarlett 2i2 loaded up, recognized, and able to communicate with the Cakewalk DAW. There are some latency issues I am attempting to troubleshoot with this. To be able to record my vocals with no drag, while doing so. Any input there would be helpful. Thus far I have learned something about adjusting the PLAYBACK AND RECORD BUFFER SIZE. Not sure what else to do. And or  how or why that adjustment may change the latency.

Second to that, I have attempted to upload music instrumentals ones I have made and ones I have found elsewhere. When I press play they sound horrible, distorted, unclear, almost as if not all the frequencies are registering on playback. They have all been WAV files too. Not sure what to do here... I am only using headphones too. Don't yet have speakers.

3 answers to this question

Make sure the ASIO drivers are installed and Cakewalk is setup to run in ASIO driver mode.

Latency has two sources a user can affect

• the interface driver buffer setting
  • plug-in delay compensation

To see if plug-ins are part of the problem click the FX button in the Mix Module. If the delay gets significantly less, one or more of the plug-ins in the project are the problem. While reading about the FX button check out the info on the PDC button.

There is no way to completely eliminate the delay when monitoring through the DAW. This is why Focusrite has direct monitoring. This sends the input directly to the interface output eliminating the latency caused by the driver and plug-ins.

Distorted audio may be the result of running too small an interface driver buffer.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Latency has two sources a user can affect

• the interface driver buffer setting
  • plug-in delay compensation

To see if plug-ins are part of the problem click the FX button in the Mix Module. If the delay gets significantly less, one or more of the plug-ins in the project are the problem. While reading about the FX button check out the info on the PDC button.

There is no way to completely eliminate the delay when monitoring through the DAW. This is why Focusrite has direct monitoring. This sends the input directly to the interface output eliminating the latency caused by the driver and plug-ins.

Distorted audio may be the result of running too small an interface driver buffer

This post should be at the very top of the main Forum page and it should also be page one of the user guide PDF.

• Like 1