How do I make these channel strips in the console normal?

Marco Ortega

Question

I'm in the middle of returning to an old project that needs some reworking (since it was my first project and I had no idea what I was doing) and I'm having an issue with making some tracks, that contain step sequencers, show up as channel strips that contain normal volume sliders. Please see attached image.

You will see I had previously had all the drum instruments located on one track but related to two. In other words, track 1 contained all the audio from track 2 which contained all the step sequencer info for the drum instruments. Having all drum instruments on one track is not ideal for mixing and getting the best sound for each one, so now I'm trying to separate the instruments and each have their own track. However, as you can see on tracks 3-8, while they produce the correct sounds, all their respective channel trips on the console have odd sliders that have double and triple digit numbers. Not only do I not know what these mean, they make it difficult for the mixing process. How do I transform these into normal volume sliders or perhaps at least each of the tracks have a partner track that contain their audio info (similar to the relationship between tracks 1 and 2.)

Thank you so much in advance!

cakewalk forum for normal volume controls.png

12 answers to this question

• Select track 2 (Old/Kick1) and the audio track (track 1)
  • run "Bounce to Track(s)" from the Tracks menu in the Track View
  • Select track 3 (Kick 3) and the audio track (track 1)
  • run "Bounce to Track(s)" from the Tracks menu in the Track View
  • Repeat with the rest of the MIDI tracks

Each MIDI track will be rendered using the same audio track into new audio tracks.

The look OK to me.

Tracks 2 through 8 are MIDI tracks.

Here is a description of MIDI track console strips http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.32.html#1257733

I usually leave the MIDI in one track and use separate audio tracks for the drum kit pieces. How the audio is split out to different tracks usually involves some setup in the drum synth then adding audio tracks with their inputs pointing to the synth outputs.

3 hours ago, scook said:

The look OK to me.

Tracks 2 through 8 are MIDI tracks.

Here is a description of MIDI track console strips http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.32.html#1257733

I usually leave the MIDI in one track and use separate audio tracks for the drum kit pieces. How the audio is split out to different tracks usually involves some setup in the drum synth then adding audio tracks with their inputs pointing to the synth outputs.

Thank a lot scook! The info on midi track console strips really helps a lot.

After looking on the interwebs, looks like the drum vst I used for this project (Drum PRO) does not support multi outputs, so your efficient idea of having all the midi on one track with multiple output audio tracks wouldn't work here.

I haven't begun remixing this project yet, but are there any cons to mixing with midi console strips? Initially it just looks like they may be pretty quiet. At 116 the tracks are pretty quiet and bumping them all the way to 127 only does so much. Perhaps just applying compression would help here?

Excuse me if I don't understand correctly. Currently as illustrated in the picture, I have the drum instruments both all on one track with its own twin audio track, then also separated on their own midi tracks. How do I transform the separate midi tracks into their own audio tracks? I can't select the separate audio and midi tracks since there's only midi.