IK VI Group Buy

ensconced

@DeeringAmpsSyntronik isn't really a synth. It just sounds like one. Lots of great synth samples of classic synthesizers, if you want to use them in your arrangements.

But if you are more into guitar music, and the Syntronik demo doesn't inspire you, then you probably have answered your own question. Personally I find a lot of inspiration from classic progressive rock with a heavy use of synthesizers. Never played guitar, though. But the first time I heard Bach played though a Moog, I was sold!

I really think the Hammond sounds great! I am not an organist, but I'm sure I will find a use for those classic Hammond sounds. Plus it is modeled, rather than sampled, so it has a modest footprint and the presets load quickly.

Also I could see the MODO Bass quickly become my go-to bass instrument, simply because I can quickly select from a range of bass models, such as a P-Bass, Jazz Bass, Rick, etc. and start playing. They sound really good as far as basses go without any tweaking.

I'm undecided about MODO Drums. I'm not a drummer, or a drum geek, so infinite possibilities of tweaking my kit looks like it could become a waste of time. I do like how you can quickly select different room spaces. But so far XLN Audio Addictive Drums is my main kit.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

MODO Bass is in my opinion a no brainer, I have had it since release, it immediately pushed Trilian to the sidelines, and to my ears is quite a bit better sounding than EZBass in sound quality terms, of course EZBass does much more, but just in sound, it's MODO all the way, and for me the other features of EZBass are non starters because in the end the bass will be played in via a real bass, so the sound of the place keeper bass is all I'm interested in.

As for MODO Drum, my personal opinion would be if you have another drum vsti like, BFD3, SD3 or even EZDrummer2, I would pass on MODO Drum. I got it as a freebie, and it's even more disappointing in person than it was via the sound demo's on the net, hence the reason I haven't purchased it in the past, the demo's done nothing for me, quite the opposite. BFD3 just blows it away.  I got it because there was nothing else that I didn't already own that I wanted. I'll never use it.

I joined the GB mainly to get get ST4 MAX, I already owned ST3 and everything released for it bar 3 or 4 EDM type things, I already had ST4 SE, and to be honest I was a little disappointed with ST4 MAX, in hindsight already having almost everything prior to ST4, I would have been happy with what I had and ST4 SE. I also got Miroslav 2 and the Hammond as freebies which I may get some use from, but there is nothing left to choose if the next level is reached.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

WTF does one do with it?

I will try to answer your question based on what I do with it. I am a guitarist. Like Larry, I had to work many many hours, day after day, year after year, to be able to play decently. And I have always wanted a synth in my toolbox. Mostly to do stuff like Heart, Head East, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Rush, .... you get the picture.

I have ST2, 2.5, 3, and now 4. Also have Dimension Pro, Rapture Pro, and of Z3TA (That thing sounds great).  I mostly used Dim Pro before I switched to Sample Tank 3, then 4. I have used the bass sounds to compliment/add to the sound on my bass that I played. Same with some of the kicks and toms that come with these programs.

I have used the pianos, horns, world instruments from Dim Pro and ST. I have even tried to use the vocal sounds that came with these programs. I could go on with examples, but I am sure you're getting a picture by now.

Surely the most fun I have with all these synth programs is going through the presets and fiddling around with them and getting something I like and then coming up with a little riff/ progression that I want to use in a song/begin a song. I must have 20 - 30 of these things recorded. Little ditties that I took a fancy to and will one day use.

That's how I use a synth.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 5
  • Great Idea 1

20 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I'm hap, hap, happy with the 3 I wanted, if I use ST4 as much as I use ST3 (wait a minute, when was the last time a
project depended on ST3?)

That's where I am.  The Hammond and MODO Bass were the main two and they are superb.  Syntronic is a nice to have, I have given MODO Drums a good workout yet so I will reserve judgment.  So the next one will be ST4, I rarely use ST3, there is nothing wrong with it but I have so many options for those bread and butter sound,

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

What about Miroslav CE?
I have the original Miroslav (probably courtesy of an ages old group buy, eh?)
Is there anything new in CE? Better interface?
Anyone using it....

t

I have Miro CE because I got a great deal on it a while back. Figured I would find some use for it.  It sounds good enough to me, but I'm not a classic orchestral composer. Thought it might add some flavor to a pop tune or something.

The program is basically the old ST3 interface with a facelift/new skin, so the library is still in ST3 format. The good news is that the sound library can be used directly in ST4, just like ST3 can.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

What about Miroslav CE?
I have the original Miroslav (probably courtesy of an ages old group buy, eh?)
Is there anything new in CE? Better interface?
Anyone using it....

t

If you have ST4 Max (which I seem to remember) then you should already have Miroslav 2 CE.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fleer said:

ST4 Max

No, I have the regular ST4 (the $199 on the G-Buy).

t

WAIT! two random brain cells collided and I have an idea!
Download CE and actually see if I want it instead of Syntronik.
What a concept..................

Edited by DeeringAmps
added comment
  • Haha 2