IK VI Group Buy

ensconced

6 hours ago, Grem said:

Yes I believe so. 

You have the sounds themselves, to use in ST4.

Then you got to bkup all that. We talking almost 500gb!! This last PC I built has a few drives in it just for this reason:

1.5tb M.2 drvs

2.5tb SSDs

5tb hds

And I have externally:

16tb  WD Elements BkUp. (4tb & 12tb)

I've about come to the decision to no longer archive the IK sounds installers. I image my OS and sample drives regularly, so in the rare event that I would ever need to clean install, paying $10 to re-download the installers  is certainly more cost effective than buying another drive to store them on.

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I've about come to the decision to no longer archive the IK sounds installers. I image my OS and sample drives regularly

I have no problem giving them $10 to open the d/l again if I need. But I have all my important stuff on a drive for the sole purpose of BkUp. All my installs that I need in case I would be limited to internet. I would have to get online to authorize, but not to d/l installers. This is bkup to another drive ( on another computer).

I only image my os drive. I have a new bkup made every month with incrementals in between.

You must understand a lot of these drives (for the moment) are no where near full. But when I built this PC, I did a 'little' planning ahead! LOL! : )

4 hours ago, abacab said:

I've about come to the decision to no longer archive the IK sounds installers. I image my OS and sample drives regularly, so in the rare event that I would ever need to clean install, paying $10 to re-download the installers  is certainly more cost effective than buying another drive to store them on.

Someone understands that drive space is not cheap when you have to buy it.  IK's friendly  licensing allows me to have it on 4 machines. If I lost a library  I get it from another system. I always archive my purchases.  I still have quite a few HDDs on a shelf and a drive dock.   

I'm a big fan of Kontakt since NI has a compression that makes file sizes smaller.

The trend in all development these days is they have no regard for file size. Look at the size of some phone apps and games. 

Edited by Paul Young

20 hours ago, abacab said:

I glanced at their requirements and they appear to require minimal space (compared to many of their other instruments). Most likely because the MODOs are mostly modeling based rather than sample based.

As far as I understand, MODO Bass is fully modelled; for MODO Drum, the drums are modelled (or mostly are) but the cymbals are sampled. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, antler said:

As far as I understand, MODO Bass is fully modelled; for MODO Drum, the drums are modelled (or mostly are) but the cymbals are sampled. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong.

I believe that is close, if not completely correct. I recall reading somewhere that the cymbals are sampled. Which is why I said mostly modeled, and since I do not own either couldn't state with certainty.

8 hours ago, Grem said:

I only image my os drive. I have a new bkup made every month with incrementals in between.

You might want to consider imaging for your sample drive, unless it is way too huge. I have all of my samples and content on a 1TB SSD drive, about 60% used space. As long as I keep a current image of that I should never need to reinstall anything on that drive. Just restore the image and go!

12 hours ago, mister_tea said:

in case it influences the backup/redownload decision, IIRC jampoints can be applied to the download re-activator to save a few dollars.

Just 30%, or $3.00 off. So that's $6.99 to re-up.

Fortunately that unlocks the sounds downloads for ALL of your IK products!

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1

37 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

They’ve never had hardware listed as a free option in a group buy - as that would cost shipping, which no matter how it’s handled complicates things; software only freebies cost virtually nothing to deploy.

That could well be . But I would think if the initial purchase is a high retail $299 item like B3 or a Modo, they’d still make a nice profit if they allowed a far lesser retail keyboard to be thrown in as a freebie when they reach a qualifying tier.

29 minutes ago, balinas said:

What time tomorrow, Aug 30, does this group buy end? Specifically US eastern time?

it says it ends it 3 days. so i guess end of day Monday EU time. IKM are Italian based, no?

BTW.. I a pretty sure its going to hit the 1 for 3 tier. IKM will extend it for sure.

If they are smart, they will include some new goodies to trigger more sales. (hint hint.. @Peter - IK Multimedia Some of us don't care much for Syntronick and Sampletank as we are over flowing with synths up the kazoo).

Edited by telecode 101

I have to say that the Custom Shop, and the Online Shop, are kind of "useless", as they 
don't show products that you don't own.  When I click on SampleTank in the custom
shop, and then select "not purchased" the only thing that shows up is "London Grooves",
despite knowing that I haven't purchased products like "LA Confidential, Clavitube, etc..."
which one would think would show up as "not purchased".

Also, it would be nice if the Online shop showed "you own this product" as a helpful way of determining
if you may be buying something that you may already own....just my 2 cents worth...

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

3 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

@cclarry  I was thinking the same thing. It would nice to have some sort of marker that shows you already own this. Also if it is on a promo that you can't sell it too.

Yes IE...the only way to tell that you are able to resell a product is to click on the "Serial #" tab under the product and see 
if there is a "Transfer" button there...it's pretty time consuming when you're going though lot's of products.  Also, be mindful
that whatever Jampoints you received for purchasing said product are taken back when you sell it, regardless of how long ago
the purchase was...

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

whatever Jampoints you received for purchasing said product are taken back when you sell it, regardless of how long ago
the purchase was...

And regardless of how many Jam Points you got!! Yep, you can go into the negative Jam Points!! LOL!

Yep they will take them whether you got 'em or not!! Vicious!!

Ask Larry!!! : )

• Like 1