IK VI Group Buy

ensconced

Well, I weakend and joined the feeding frenzy, just Syntronic expansions.  Blau is nice, sonically different to the usual analog fare as is the Galaxy. I also picked up the V80.  Not sure what others I will choose.

I still find elements of Syntronic frustrating, the load times, particularly when browsing and the limited editing but it does sound good and being able to select filter type is handy.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, InstrEd said:

I have used the CE version and it has been okay for my needs.  Only doing some backup stuff for church with it. So I don't need a great library. Is the full version that bad of Miroslav 2. 

For my needs maybe Garritan Instant Orchestra would be a better option.

It's not bad unless you are one of those who have very high end libraries. It is a 70gb product. 

• Like 1

If find it annoying people asking for something TRacks related as a persuasion.  Like what part of VI Group Buy did anyone not understand?  The other group buys will eventually happen.  This one though I don't think will reach its goal.  These do soak up the drive space.

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

It's not bad unless you are one of those who have very high end libraries. It is a 70gb product. 

Not I don't have any high end libraries.   This is just a hobby for me and helping out my local parish when need be. I'll see next weekend where we stand in the group-buy and hopefully decide which way to go.

4 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I still find elements of Syntronic frustrating, the load times, particularly when browsing and the limited editing but it does sound good and being able to select filter type is handy.

I have the full Syntronik collection, but that is my chief complaint. Click on preset... wait ... load... The loading time for the samples is not the greatest, and I have them all on SSD now.  However the  sound quality is great!

But, I also have the Arturia Analog Lab, and I am finding that auditioning presets in much more enjoyable in that product. Click. Load. Click. Load. I think that is the difference between sampling vs. modeling.

7 hours ago, abacab said:

I have the full Syntronik collection, but that is my chief complaint. Click on preset... wait ... load... The loading time for the samples is not the greatest, and I have them all on SSD now.  However the  sound quality is great!

But, I also have the Arturia Analog Lab, and I am finding that auditioning presets in much more enjoyable in that product. Click. Load. Click. Load. I think that is the difference between sampling vs. modeling.

I have the Arturia V collection. The other BIG difference between sampling and modeling is with modeling you can start anywhere and edit the sound to anything that synth could produce. With a sample you are limited. Of course the Lab is also more restricted.  This of course means you are more dependent on the presets in a sample based system, which makes the load times more annoying. 

What Syntronic needs is a preview system like NI's NKS,  (or better still be NKS compatible) clicking on the sound in the browser plays an example of the preset so you can decide if you want to load it.

Edited by Vernon Barnes
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I have the Arturia V collection. The other BIG difference between sampling and modeling is with modeling you can start anywhere and edit the sound to anything that synth could produce. With a sample you are limited. Of course the Lab is also more restricted.  This of course means you are more dependent on the presets in a sample based system, which makes the load times more annoying.

I like the restriction! It keeps me away from needlessly tweaking knobs all day. Sound designers may disagree of course, but the macro knobs are usually enough to play the instrument expressively.

6 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

What Syntronic needs is a preview system like NI's NKS,  (or better still be NKS compatible) clicking on the sound in the browser plays an example of the preset so you can decide if you want to load it.

Now THAT would be nice!

Sorry but if Miroslav Philharmonik 2 sounds like a GM stock crappy soundset you might be doing something wrong or have an issue with the install or your setup.  It is way more than just even "capable" and I know it is cool to hate on it but it can produce some great work like this:

https://download.ikmultimedia.com/html/miroslavphilharmonik2/audiodemo/Scarlet Fey - Hetoreyn Miro2 Demo.mp3

And a bunch of other great examples at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik2/index.php?p=media

• Like 3

MP2 is a nice value for the money. I believe IK have done some work since the last version. I found the "score writers" patch recently.  Sounds pretty good. Everything is right there for you all mapped. No need to change midi channels, just click on the instrument/section.  If you later on decided to change those  sounds to a different library it can be done using the midi.

The thing that differentiates most of the  high end libraries from the lower range ones is mic position which often equates to dynamics. Close mics are more up front and intimate. Far mics capture more of the hall sound. Some libraries are 16/44.1 and some are recorded at 24/96 or higher. You often can't tell the difference. BBCSO Discovery uses more distant mic positions so even removing all the reverb  you will still hear the verb making that library limited for more up close sound and feel. In order to get a more intimate up close sound you need to buy their higher end libraries since they have more mic positions. MP2 seems a good in the middle library in every sense of the word. Maybe not quite as dynamic as a few other but far better than many more. 

MODO bass is a winner. I have lots of basses and I am now always going for MODO bass. Sits well in the mix sounds like a real bass player played it with little fuss. The reason I didn't look at EZ bass. I don't need it. I prefer to make my own bass parts and don't need pre cut ones. MODO fills the gaps nicely. I Looked at MODO drums and wasn't entirely sold on it. The main thing for me isn't the ability to pick my drum combos, heads tuning etc. For me that's overkill. The main thing is musical loops that fit well. It's a tough sell on me  because I have several other well known drum programs. I mostly end up using a simple kit with a simple rhythm. Not over and above from my perspective but same as. Would probably give a real drummer a johnson though with all those drum selections. Like a kid in a candy shop. In the one video I watched I could hear the excitement in the guys voice. I thought to myself, " yep he's a drummer".

5 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Sorry but if Miroslav Philharmonik 2 sounds like a GM stock crappy soundset you might be doing something wrong or have an issue with the install or your setup.

https://download.ikmultimedia.com/html/miroslavphilharmonik2/audiodemo/Scarlet Fey - Hetoreyn Miro2 Demo.mp3

And a bunch of other great examples at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik2/index.php?p=media

There's nothing wrong with my installation, setup, or technique.

Your own links confirm my assessment.  Cheers...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Sorry but if Miroslav Philharmonik 2 sounds like a GM stock crappy soundset you might be doing something wrong or have an issue with the install or your setup.  It is way more than just even "capable" and I know it is cool to hate on it but it can produce some great work like this:

That's the first time I've ever heard that. Even the first version had some bread and butter sounds.  I think it's like anything else where it's all about the end user.

2 hours ago, Paul Young said:

it's all about the end user.

Yep. 

MS1 & 2 severed my needs very well. To completely dismiss it as a usable product... maybe a stretch. I mean you may not like it or be satisfied with the sounds. But the product you would put out with MS2 would be as good as  a lot of stuff out there even though you would not be completely happy with it.

7 hours ago, Starise said:

MP2 is a nice value for the money.

MS2 is worth the money they asking for it. At a sale price is even better.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grem said:

Little over 350 to go for next freebie!! Eight days left!!

Come on people, I was counting on at least 3 freebies!!

Sadly, there is really nothing in this group buy for me...
Space Delay, Amp Satch, and the new Clavitube, and only
1 or 2 others, are all that I don't already have,
so even with the freebies it doesn't pan out...for me....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Sadly, there is really nothing in this group buy for me...
Space Delay, Amp Satch, and the new Clavitube, and only
1 or 2 others, are all that I don't already have,
so even with the freebies it doesn't pan out...for me....

The only thing that really interests me is the Hammond. But nothing else does as far as the potential freebies. I think I'd like to see IK offer equivalent JamPoints for the Group Buy as an alternative to claiming freebies...

1 minute ago, abacab said:

The only thing that really interests me is the Hammond. But nothing else does as far as the potential freebies. I think I'd like to see IK offer equivalent JamPoints for the Group Buy as an alternative to claiming freebies...

Oh yeah...I forgot about the Hammond...also not high on the priority list for me
(which is probably why I forgot about it O.o )

• Like 2

I would love the Hammond. But I will wait for that one.

Larry I was in the same boat. But I took a look at the hardware and I have been looking/wanting the mini iRig keyboard for a while. So I made the jump and with that purchase I am able to get the Libs I want that I don't have. 

But as far as the major purchases, I already got them except for the Hammond. So nothing to draw me in there. But here again, (we always keep saying this) for the new user of IK stuff, (they one that ain't spent a dime with them) this is a fantastic deal!!

I also want the Joe Sat stuff, the Space Delay... and that Hammond.  I will just have to wait.

11 minutes ago, abacab said:

like to see IK offer equivalent JamPoints for the Group Buy as an alternative to claiming freebies...

But if you can only use them for 30% off, I don't know if we would ever use all of them. (Except Larry, he was in the negative jam points territory at one time!! LOL  : ) And boy was he po'd!!) I still have over $150 worth of JP and almost nothing I want to get, yet. And if you can believe this, I forgot to use JP when I bought the iRig Mini!! Bruned my ***** up! I mena... how stupid was that!! LOL!

• Sad 1