IK VI Group Buy

ensconced

On 8/18/2020 at 7:23 AM, gwen said:

Hi, is it possible to transfert license of a free product of this group to someone else? Thx

As Fleer has already posted, no, it's not possible to transfer a free product to someone else. That free product has a NFR (Not For Resale) license. Which in laymans terms mean you can't do anything with it other than use it yourself.

Workaround, buy the product you want to transfer/give away. Then select as free products the ones you want to keep.  

Edited by Grem
punctuation
  • Great Idea 1

26 minutes ago, Grem said:

As Fleer has already posted, no, it's not possible to transfer a free product to someone else. That free product has a NFR (Not For Resale) license. Which in laymans terms mean you can't do anything with it other than use it yourself.

if it's NFR it's possible that it won't be eligible for upgrades - has anybody checked ?

8 hours ago, simon said:

if it's NFR it's possible that it won't be eligible for upgrades - has anybody checked ?

I think you have a point there Simon. Don't hold me to it as I don't know for sure, but IIRC this is the case also. I believe it was changed recently. Or I heard about it recently.

Edited by Grem

10 hours ago, Grem said:

I think you have a point there Simon. Don't hold me to it as I don't know for sure, but IIRC this is the case also. I believe it was changed recently. Or I heard about it recently.

Another "+1 but don't hold me to it." Peter's the expert of course. A few years ago I was unable to use a group buy product to upgrade to the next version of the product... basically it was down to luck as to which product I'd chosen to buy and which was the freebie, and no way to know the future roadmap, so... coin flip :). It seemed a little weird at the time but no big deal in the grand scheme of things, I caught it later.

Generally it seems that using crossgrade licenses requires you to always have one non-NFR, $99 or above, product in your account, not just at time of upgrade. So especially don't buy something, use that to buy crossgrades, and then accidentally transfer the original. See part (a) here: 

For recent changes -- about a year ago there were threads on a couple forums covering what might have been a policy or website change where transferred licenses became not-for-resale.

The EULA doesn't seem to cover what qualifies as an upgrade unfortunately. Side note - @Peter, I imagine EULA changes are complicated, but something to forward along to your legal team -- since NFR is being applied to group buys and license transfers, the following definition from section 1 might benefit from being evaluated in the context of promotions. Thanks!

“Not For Resale” (hereafter: “NFR”) means a version of the Product, so identified, intended for review and evaluation purposes only.

Edited by mister_tea
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mister_tea said:

Generally it seems that using crossgrade licenses requires you to always have one non-NFR, $99 or above, product in your account, not just at time of upgrade. So especially don't buy something, use that to buy crossgrades, and then accidentally transfer the original. See part (a) here: 

Yes, that's the thread I was thinking of. 

Seems its accelerating to the next level. I have still not jumped into the feeding frenzy.  No denying there is some very nice stuff on offer for what will be a bargain price but I cant get my enthusiasm up. I demoed MODO bass and drums and as excellent as they are I don't think they would a major addition to my already extensive range of bass and drums sounds. The Hammond is the one but again, while it may be the best, a couple of my other options are not that far behind, particularly when put through IK's Leslie.

So I am still thinking going in at the lowest level an getting a few Syntronic expansions.

1 hour ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Seems its accelerating to the next level. I have still not jumped into the feeding frenzy.  No denying there is some very nice stuff on offer for what will be a bargain price but I cant get my enthusiasm up. I demoed MODO bass and drums and as excellent as they are I don't think they would a major addition to my already extensive range of bass and drums sounds. The Hammond is the one but again, while it may be the best, a couple of my other options are not that far behind, particularly when put through IK's Leslie.

So I am still thinking going in at the lowest level an getting a few Syntronic expansions.

I am still sitting back and deciding here. I only demoed MODO Bass and Drums. The Bass sounds really amazing and impressed me a lot. The Drums is very cool but I am not sure I would want to use it instead of the NI Abbey Roads and Drum Labs that I have.

@Peter - IK Multimedia I just feel there isn't enough on a selected. It would be cool if IKM threw something else in for those that don't want big librarires like SamlleTank and Syntronik. It would defiantly make the deal more appealing.

There are a lot of selections, it seems people might still be missing the slew of SampleTank and Syntronik instruments (they are represented by one icon each on the VI Group Buy page) and the fact you'll be able to get 5 major VIs by the end even if you don't choose a single instrument for the free choices.

There will be nothing added to the group buy while it is in flight.  And it is a VI Group Buy so even if we broke that (which we aren't going to) it would have to be a VI and there's only one not included (Syntronik Deluxe Upgrade).

Well, I guess many more would join if freebies would be stacked up to one’s initial expenditure. 
My group buy participation would then be like this:

- Hammond B3 (initial expenditure of $199)

- first freebie: MODO Bass ($199 value)

- second freebie: MODO Drums ($199 value)

- third freebie: four instruments of $49 each (total value $199)

- etcetera

• Great Idea 2

7 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

going in at the lowest level an getting a few Syntronic expansions

This is what I did. 

Having almost all of what is on offer, (except B3) I really wasn't too excited at first. But I took a look at the libraries I don't have and then it hit me, I could get that mini keyboard I been eyeing for a while and pick up most (if not all) the libs I don't have. Win Win for me. :) 

I have used the CE version and it has been okay for my needs.  Only doing some backup stuff for church with it. So I don't need a great library. Is the full version that bad of Miroslav 2. 

For my needs maybe Garritan Instant Orchestra would be a better option.