IK VI Group Buy

ensconced

12 minutes ago, TerraSin said:

Is it just me or is the list of qualifying products much smaller this year than last?

Wasn't last year effects? They have a lot more effects than instruments. Mind you if you include the Syntronic and Sampletank instruments it pushes the numbers up a bit.

• Like 1

I have a solution. Maybe the IK Group Buy should be more intrinsically value related. So, if you start with a $199 item, your next item (freebie) could be $199 each or two $99 items, or four $49 items.  That way you don’t get the feeling of undervalued freebies. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

13 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Wasn't last year effects? They have a lot more effects than instruments. Mind you if you include the Syntronic and Sampletank instruments it pushes the numbers up a bit.

I registered a guitar I had last year and it qualified, I think.

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

I have a solution. Maybe the IK Group Buy should be more intrinsically value related. So, if you start with a $199 item, your next item (freebie) could be $199 each or two $99 items, or four $49 items.  That way you don’t get the feeling of undervalued freebies. 

Love that idea! Plus I don't get it how iRig stuff being a hardware makes it disqualified as a free item. They could keep charging us for shipping at let us have more fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

Love that idea! Plus I don't get it how iRig stuff being a hardware makes it disqualified as a free item. They could keep charging us for shipping at let us have more fun.

That would be nice, but it's possible the math doesn't work out since the marginal cost of software is low (flipping some bits in your account, download bandwidth, customer support for some fraction of users--that can add up quicker than we expect), while the keyboards also have a real cost to produce and ship.  It would probably be a huge loss if resellers could get a 5-for-1 on keyboards :). IK could limit it to one and charge shipping, but it's probably a lot of overhead and an inventory management headache. But never say never? Maybe Peter has insight.

Personally I've been on and off the fence on this deal. Chris, your post upthread mentioned "powerful minds" thinking of the prices here and along those lines, for a while I've felt someone at IK certainly paid attention in their business class on price discrimination. Many businesses do this of course... it's even the "right" thing for a business to do.

But maybe as feedback for IK, after several years of this marketing strategy and given how saturated the plugin market is, I burned out on it a little. There's the full price release, with a time-sensitive intro discount, then eventually a small sale, then deeper sales,  then a group buy, then sometimes product bundles at some point (AT MAX), and eventually inclusion into Total Studio. Then not long after that, a new shiny flagship product is released which isn't part of Total Studio because it missed the train - starting the cycle over. Plus we can't forget upgrades, crossgrades, maxgrades, jampoints, CS gear credits, paid license transfers to recoup a bit, and in the last few years, limiting which promo products allow for upgrade eligibility.

Don't get me wrong, I've saved some money with Jampoints and crossgrades. But I think what's frustrating is there's really no way to plan. Like, will there be a Total Studio 3 Max? It feels like if there is one in the pipeline (recognizing there's been no announcement) there's a chance it's not too many months away since almost everything that might be included is now in the group-buy part of the product cycle (edit: forgot about the new Space Echo!!). There needs to be enough time to pass for the reverb and Satriani plugins to age a little bit, but not enough time to have a new product included--either that or the new product resets the clock. Anyway, on the off chance MAX 3 does exist, it's not clear whether to go ahead with this group buy or just pick everything up together later. Similar to Softube, you only crossgrade from a single product.

At the end of the day I do recognize that the thing I'm not-quite-complaining about allows more price-sensitive consumers to access these tools. It just feels like there's too much to keep track of, given that we all are bombarded with promo mail from dozens of manufacturers and have our own day jobs to keep track of. 

I must note that I do enjoy the products... many hours spent in Amplitube over the years. And every time I use the T-Racks effects I like the results, just need to train myself to pull from that folder more often.

Edited by mister_tea
  • Like 3

If you are lucky this might hit 3 for 1. Looking at MODO series, you are looking at roughly $200 for 4 products -- so $50 each. It adds up to around 75% off sale based on the condition that you buy 4 items.

If I recall, Syntronik and Sampletank were offered on quite steep discounted sales quite   a few times this past year.

42 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

If you are lucky this might hit 3 for 1. Looking at MODO series, you are looking at roughly $200 for 4 products -- so $50 each. It adds up to around 75% off sale based on the condition that you buy 4 items.

If I recall, Syntronik and Sampletank were offered on quite steep discounted sales quite   a few times this past year.

I've never seen an IK Group buy not make it all the way. In the past they have extended the time and added additional levels for more freebies. 

Rocky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluzdog said:

I've never seen an IK Group buy not make it all the way. In the past they have extended the time and added additional levels for more freebies. 

Rocky

The Dog is correct on this. IK has bent over backwards quite a few times to make these BOGx free a success. IK can't be dinged on this one that's for sure!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluzdog said:

Rocky

yeah. you are probably right.

as a IKM customer. I think where this deal gets interesting is for people that don't really want sampletank or syntronik because they know they won't use all of it and have a good idea of what they will need. if it hits a 4 for 1 or 5 for 1, using it for individual items would be a real good thing to look into.

for for example: at the $79 level:

- hugh padhham drums

- clavitube

and then some Syntronik items that you know you will use. 

You don't blow away hard disk space with stuff you may rarely access and you get only what you want.

• Great Idea 1

Note that the list on the page may appear smaller than previous because the SampleTank and Syntronik instruments (of which there are many) are represented as one card/link each.

Also, note that the brand new IK Product Manager may be handy for many who are in or interested in this group buy:  IK Product Manager now available

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

Looking at MODO series, you are looking at roughly $200 for 4 products

Not sure why someone would want MODO Drum, MODO Bass, and their SE versions. Don't get me wrong, MODO Drum/Bass are great, but their SE versions are just cut down versions; it doesn't make sense to me why someone might want both the 'full' and the 'reduced' versions.

11 minutes ago, antler said:

Not sure why someone would want MODO Drum, MODO Bass, and their SE versions. Don't get me wrong, MODO Drum/Bass are great, but their SE versions are just cut down versions; it doesn't make sense to me why someone might want both the 'full' and the 'reduced' versions.

i was thinking more of a case where someone is  getting the full versions. i can't see a good reason to get the SE. its only 25% less but has a lot less instruments in each.

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

the brand new IK Product Manager may be handy for many who are in or interested in this group buy

Yes!! About time!!

Well I see this as win for me for about the umpteenth time!! 

Getting the Mini keyboard for $99 is a good deal. Then all the sound packs!!! I mean I already got Total Studio Max.. so I thought I would be left on the side watching this. But like Peter points out, there a lot of ST and Syntronik sound packs.

Ok, looking past the high ticket items like MODO and the Hammond, what are the best sound sets for ST4? I already have ST4 MAX, and Spaceport from the giveaway a while back.

What are your favorites, if you have any of the others?

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1