Cakewalk Not Recording Audio

ceakay

Question

When I was working on a song, I wanted to record audio. My microphone was working fine, but when I opened Cakewalk a little while later, nothing was happening. No audio was being recorded. However, when I was trying to fix it, I heard that there was slight noise. I tested to see what was happening so I banged my desk really loud and I saw the line move up, but just very little. But, when I played it back, there was no sound, and the audio clip that I record was just a straight line. I also have ASIO set in my settings, if that information helps.

image.png.2df5806827109bde84dc7595de9b5207.png

I also notice this when I was adding a track. If someone can help that would be great cause this is driving me crazy.

Edited by Caleb Kim

8 answers to this question

There are a couple of things that might interfere with Cakewalk accessing the internal sound chip.

Running Windows and Cakewalk at different sample rates is a problem because an interface can only run at one sample rate at a time.

Giving a program other than Cakewalk exclusive control over the interface.

ASIO4All is not an audio driver. Instead it wraps existing Windows audio drivers and presents them to software that can use ASIO. 

The original purpose of ASIO4All was to provide programs that only used ASIO drivers a way to use the internal PC sound chip.

Very few programs use ASIO and even fewer use only ASIO.

Cakewalk can use ASIO but it can also use Windows audio drivers.

I am not sure if there is any advantage to running ASIO4All instead of the WASAPI driver in Win10.

I am sure there is an additional layer of software and config when running a wrapper like ASIO4All.

By setting it to WASAPI Shared and making my input to RealTek Stereo Microphone Array fixed my recording problem. But because of WASAPI I am getting crazy delay in playback (I would start the song and like 10 secs after it would play). Is there a fix?

Edited by Caleb Kim