2020.08 Feedback

16 minutes ago, oldie said:

I just had a thought - I ran the update .exe manually as Administrator.  Bingo! Updated no problem in about 2 minutes. Weird because I thought I had admin rights but maybe something got changed when I upgraded to W10 from 7 earlier this year.

Maybe all these other people have been having a similar issue?

{edit} Just checked I do have admin rights so not sure what is going on here??

It would appear something is intermittently getting hung up with BandLab Assistant between downloading and actually launching the installer. As you saw, it downloads successfully, which means you can manually run the installer fine. This shouldn't have anything to do with admin privileges or not. If you don't want to manually launch the installer, generally if you quit BA and try it again a couple times, it should ultimately go through, but manually launching the installer file would be the workaround. 

Hi, Cakewalk development team! I keep my frustration back and try to be neutral in my problem description and question.

I have several projects with very sloppy multi-track recordings in respect to the rhythmics. Some are very old recordings that can't be redone and yet have tempo variations caused by a tape recorder.
I thought that's all no problem with the brilliant AudioSnap in CbB! I have been working now several weeks on it and my conclusion is that it is simply unusable as it is today. For me it is no problem that I have to adjust a lot of transients manually, on the contrary this is the big advantage of CbB that this is possible! But there are so often artifacts/clicks produced as soon as you bounce the AudioSnap clips! Also some transients are moved seriously by the bouncing compared to the quantized AudioSnap clip (you can see this very well by copying the quantized clip before). I would say that it is minimum each third clip that fails! I tried also to simplify the thing in working with short clips whose contents had been centered first. But I am at my wits end!

By the way I could recognize that sometimes it happens that a part of the clip's wave is being repeated what caused artifacts!

To cut a long story short: Are there any intentions to fix AudioSnap bouncing in the near future? (not AudioSnap itself, it runs perfectly, but the bounce of AudioSnap clips!)

Otherwise I will have to go the troublesome way and align the clips manually (what I already did sometimes), very elaborate work! I tried also with Melodyne, but the blobs do not reveal usable information where the transients are in some cases (synths, overlapping notes, legatos, ...).

Please apologize my critical, frank description and please do not feel offended! I just would be glad to get an answer (positive preferred 😉).

23 minutes ago, oldie said:

Weird because I thought I had admin rights

Being in the Admin Group is not the same as full Admin rights under Win 7 and upwards.  There is a in effect a GOD mode above your rights within the Admin group.  It does give you the ability to run with the right click "Run as Admin" option.

2 minutes ago, marled said:

Hi, Cakewalk development team! I keep my frustration back and try to be neutral in my problem description and question.

I have several projects with very sloppy multi-track recordings in respect to the rhythmics. Some are very old recordings that can't be redone and yet have tempo variations caused by a tape recorder.
I thought that's all no problem with the brilliant AudioSnap in CbB! I have been working now several weeks on it and my conclusion is that it is simply unusable as it is today. For me it is no problem that I have to adjust a lot of transients manually, on the contrary this is the big advantage of CbB that this is possible! But there are so often artifacts/clicks produced as soon as you bounce the AudioSnap clips! Also some transients are moved seriously by the bouncing compared to the quantized AudioSnap clip (you can see this very well by copying the quantized clip before). I would say that it is minimum each third clip that fails! I tried also to simplify the thing in working with short clips whose contents had been centered first. But I am at my wits end!

By the way I could recognize that sometimes it happens that a part of the clip's wave is being repeated what caused artifacts!

To cut a long story short: Are there any intentions to fix AudioSnap bouncing in the near future? (not AudioSnap itself, it runs perfectly, but the bounce of AudioSnap clips!)

Otherwise I will have to go the troublesome way and align the clips manually (what I already did sometimes), very elaborate work! I tried also with Melodyne, but the blobs do not reveal usable information where the transients are in some cases (synths, overlapping notes, legatos, ...).

Please apologize my critical, frank description and please do not feel offended! I just would be glad to get an answer (positive preferred 😉).

What stretching algorithms are you using for the bounce? We added the Elastique options for CbB a couple years ago now, and actively maintain that. If your project can reliably reproduce issues with offline rendering, you can send that to us for analysis. 

1 minute ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

What stretching algorithms are you using for the bounce? We added the Elastique options for CbB a couple years ago now, and actively maintain that. If your project can reliably reproduce issues with offline rendering, you can send that to us for analysis.

I prefer to use the "Radius Solo" (Vocal, Bass) algorithms for offline rendering (best quality!). I had tried to use "Elastique Pro" with a problematic clip, but there the waveform changed in some positions dramatically (visible without zooming in) and did not sound like the original, though the shifts were minor!

I see the problems in a lot of different projects (I always create a new project to fix a single track), so I guess it has nothing to do with the project or the clips! But nevertheless, the next time I have an example I isolate it and send it to you.

1 minute ago, marled said:

I prefer to use the "Radius Solo" (Vocal, Bass) algorithms for offline rendering (best quality!). I had tried to use "Elastique Pro" with a problematic clip, but there the waveform changed in some positions dramatically (visible without zooming in) and did not sound like the original, though the shifts were minor!

I see the problems in a lot of different projects (I always create a new project to fix a single track), so I guess it has nothing to do with the project or the clips! But nevertheless, the next time I have an example I isolate it and send it to you.

The thing with stretching is that it's very material dependent, so it can vary from clip to clip. Please do send us an example next time you notice something as concrete examples are the best way for us to troubleshoot issues.

59 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

The thing with stretching is that it's very material dependent, so it can vary from clip to clip. Please do send us an example next time you notice something as concrete examples are the best way for us to troubleshoot issues.

I just sent you a tiny example of the last painful 😆 AudioSnap clip (vocals). There are many clips that fail. If I'll have the next failing clip where a part of the clip is repeated (duplicated) in the bouncing, I will send it, too, because I think this could be especially helpful.

Thanks, Marc!

This software belongs in the dark ages with no definitive answer to dozens of the same complaints that the installer is not installing and not even a download indicator to see any progress while we are tortured with waiting over and over for hours on end for an installer that doesn't install...!

Just now, Nic Chancellor said:

This software belongs in the dark ages with no definitive answer to dozens of the same complaints that the installer is not installing and not even a download indicator to see any progress while we are tortured with waiting over and over for hours on end for an installer that doesn't install...!

The issue with the install is related to BandLab Assistant, and is new. We're currently investigating why its failing to launch the actual Cakewalk installer, however as mentioned, launching the installer manually from the download folder will work successfully. 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It would appear something is intermittently getting hung up with BandLab Assistant between downloading and actually launching the installer. As you saw, it downloads successfully, which means you can manually run the installer fine. This shouldn't have anything to do with admin privileges or not. If you don't want to manually launch the installer, generally if you quit BA and try it again a couple times, it should ultimately go through, but manually launching the installer file would be the workaround. 

Ah of course - I didn't actually try running the installer without clicking Run as Admin. Thanks.

23 hours ago, Nic Chancellor said:

Dozens? Where? "Dozens" would mean at least 24 people, wouldn´t it? 🙄

Up through ver. 2019.03, I could use Izotope Insight on the buss being rendered to wav in order to visually monitor my integrated LUFS as the export progressed. Then I could quickly make any needed adjustment to my limiter and re-export right away.

Since ver. 2019.03 however, I get no visible response while exporting. The plugin does display correctly with realtime playback, but auditioning the full length is impractical and I'd prefer not to have to analyze loudness with an external application.

I'm hoping this function is not wholly outmoded, but thanks to scook I can be content with using 2019.03 for this workflow if necessary. Thank you.

Expecting plugins to update while rendering is not a common workflow. The app is deliberately using all resources to export the audio not update the UI.
Are you doing a fast bounce when exporting? Plugin views will not update while doing that because the UI thread is blocked while exporting audio. Try disabling fast bounce when exporting.

Hi all, and thanks for this update :)

I also had the install problem some others did, here is 1/ what it was, and 2/ how it got solved with no pain :

1/ Using bandlab assistant to clic on "update" did the download, but then got stuck at the "installing..." step. I tried twice.

2/ After a reboot, I did the clic on the "update" message from Cakewalk (blue message), not from the assistant, and everything went fine.

If this can help.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 11:03 AM, ekamis said:

I cannot write a word about this update because it's not possible to install it. Let me say it: Cakewalk is great, Bandland assistant is @$#&+\@🤬.

I had to delete Cakewalk.  Then I re-installed it.  And it worked great and even kept my settings.  Something was wrong with the assistant - perhaps on summer break?

The Slate plugin "Verbsuite" have a search bar, I cannot type in the search bar, instead when a type, cakewalk apply the keaboard shortcuts. For example, I click the search bar to type and type the "D" letter and open de Multidock of cakewalk, type letter "E" bypass plugin instead write in the search bar. Sorry with my little english.. 

29 minutes ago, Jaime Ramírez said:

The Slate plugin "Verbsuite" have a search bar, I cannot type in the search bar, instead when a type, cakewalk apply the keaboard shortcuts. For example, I click the search bar to type and type the "D" letter and open de Multidock of cakewalk, type letter "E" bypass plugin instead write in the search bar. Sorry with my little english.. 

Tienes un botón con un teclado de PC en la esquina superior derecha  de la ventana de todos los plugins. Sirve para que CbB pase los comandos de teclado al plugin.

Edited by JoseC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1