2020.08 Feedback

17 minutes ago, kurt soderquist said:

It never used to open this way.

Is the issue that you have floating windows? If so, are you using the "Advanced" Workspace intentionally?  Also, starting in the EA and also in 2020.08, there have been some changes to the way Workspaces are loaded or not.  We now have an option to have Workspaces open or not. (Don't ask me for details; see the write-up on 2020.08. See "Workspace enhancements" here.)  

With the changes, the "None" Workspace might provide even more consistency in opening up projects than previously.  As for me, I am still exploring the changes myself--but I am leaning towards applying a custom workspace, saving the project, and then switching to "None."  Just a guess, but I think doing that in essence applies my desired Workspace as the basic default screen set for the project which gets reinstated when I load each project.

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to the write-up and to add a comment about UI consistency.

Hi,

This update  from 05 to 08 removed the following VSTs and made them unavailable.

IK Multimedia`s   Sonik Synth 2,  Sample Moog, and  Sampletank 2.

Hopefully I can reinstall them, Though they still function correctly with Cakewalk X1  X2 and Sonar Platnm. 

The other option would be to go back to 2020.05  but I cannot find anyway of rolling back to the previous version.

"Undo Apply Region Tempo" slips that audio clip out.

1. Open "Basic.cwt" and import an audio file with dragging to Audio track.
  2. Make an arranger section. (e.g. measure 2 to 4)
  3. Select that Section.
  4. Drag and drop the audio clip selected by Section to the timeline ruler.
  5. Press [OK] to apply.
  6. After complete, press Ctrl+Z to undo Apply Region Tempo.
  7. You will see the audio clip is slipped out.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, Harry C. said:

Hi, i have problems with the installation. With the bandlab assistant the percentage display runs up to 100%, then flashes Installing..., but nothing happens. Not even after 10 minutes. Otherwise the installation was finished after one minute. (German version). The old 2020.05 still works.

Same issue here. Also rebooted, same thing.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

check your download folder for the correct file, hold the Windows key and press "r" to bring up the Run prompt. Type: %appdata%\bandlab-assistant\Downloads. If you do not see 26.08.0.100 in the installer file, delete what you currently have here. Then Exit out of BandLab Assistant, reopen/log in, then try the install again.

Try this (worked for me) or try updating your Bandlab installer

I launched bandlab Assistant and went to update CW in the APPS tab. It got stuck on Download, went no further.

However I Solved this by closing the bandlab assistant app by right clicking in the system tray and quit. Relauched it and then selected update and it worked.

My BL assistant 5.2.0 .. does that need updating?

EDIT - Aha, just downloaded BL assistant and my v5.2.0 went to v6. Maybe that was the issue

Edited by aidan o driscoll

11 hours ago, Tony H said:

Hi,

This update  from 05 to 08 removed the following VSTs and made them unavailable.

Hopefully I can reinstall them, Though they still function correctly with Cakewalk X1  X2 and Sonar Platnm. 

The other option would be to go back to 2020.05  but I cannot find anyway of rolling back to the previous version.

Have you tried to see if they are simply marked as excluded for some reason? Just launch 'utilities/Cakewalk Plug-in manager' and  tick 'Show Excluded', then click on the different categories and look for anything that should not be included for you. If you find them, there is a button to enable them.

The other things that could have happened is that the VST Scan paths in preference might have lost a directory where you have those installed or, if you are looking at your plugins sorted by categories, that their categories have changed for some reason, try and sort them by manufacturer you may find them that way.

Since Cakewalk cannot uninstall VSTs and VSTis, they have to still be there somewhere...

9 hours ago, HIBI said:

"Undo Apply Region Tempo" slips that audio clip out.

1. Open "Basic.cwt" and import an audio file with dragging to Audio track.
  2. Make an arranger section. (e.g. measure 2 to 4)
  3. Select that Section.
  4. Drag and drop the audio clip selected by Section to the timeline ruler.
  5. Press [OK] to apply.
  6. After complete, press Ctrl+Z to undo Apply Region Tempo.
  7. You will see the audio clip is slipped out.

I'm not sure I understand exactly where your problem is, in trying your steps, when I go to Undo, I see the clip go back to its original length. Can you provide a screenshot or a gif showing your issue?

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

when I go to Undo, I see the clip go back to its original length.

Original clip size does not change until undoing. The problem is "Undo Apply Region Tempo" will trim the clip out to the beginning of the section. (Even if you redo with Ctrl+Y, it will not be the original clip size back.)

Add: I will try to make a video If I can take the time.

Edited by HIBI
  • Like 1

Thanks Jacques for your ideas  (Re:lost vst plugins ik multimedia)

I checked Show Excluded in Plugin Manager and it showed nothing there...empty.

I reinstalled/repair tested  IK Sonik Synth installation from the original IK Multi installer, Unfortunately that failed as well with Bandlab vst detection.

I tried an earlier version of Bandlab 2020.01  installed and that failed to detect the missing plugins.

So i reinstalled a Windows version backup from March (Bandlab folder is on a different partition from Windows)

And that worked  for now.

I guess something changed from 05 to 08 with the way Bandlab checks for plugins..... registry ??? , Since a few folks have also had problems.

thanks Tony.

1 hour ago, Tony H said:

Thanks Jacques for your ideas  (Re:lost vst plugins ik multimedia)

I checked Show Excluded in Plugin Manager and it showed nothing there...empty.

I reinstalled/repair tested  IK Sonik Synth installation from the original IK Multi installer, Unfortunately that failed as well with Bandlab vst detection.

I tried an earlier version of Bandlab 2020.01  installed and that failed to detect the missing plugins.

So i reinstalled a Windows version backup from March (Bandlab folder is on a different partition from Windows)

And that worked  for now.

I guess something changed from 05 to 08 with the way Bandlab checks for plugins..... registry ??? , Since a few folks have also had problems.

thanks Tony.

There have not been any changes to plugin scanning in the past few updates. If the restore fixed it, something likely changed with your 3rd party installs that got corrected. 

On 8/9/2020 at 9:59 PM, Tony H said:

Hi,

Sampletank 2 needs Cakewalk to run as Administrator.

And if you use DX Shell for old DXi, there is a random problem during re-Scan that it changes Sampletank's name to some generic "synthedit" or other vst in the list.