2020.08 Feedback

Update installation did not start after BandLab Assistant showed "Installing..." so I had to install with manually run ’Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_26.08.0.100.exe’.
This happened similarly on my other PC. (Windows 10, fully patched 1909)

FYI: It happens regardless of whether BandLab Assistant is v5.2 or v6.0

Edited by HIBI

8 minutes ago, TracingArcs said:

As per my earlier comment. Have been trying all day without success to install. Found BLA was at 5.2.0 and updated to 6.0.0. But it is stuck  just saying installing.. On W10 1909. Will leave it for now as too frustrating.

As posted before, I just had to reboot the PC to get the Installation working. BLA 5.2.0, but Win 10 2004. I think, it's a Windows Thing, since the next step after this flashing "install . . ." is a small Win10-window, asking if Cakewalk may change your system. Firewall? Defender? Don't know. 

Edited by mkerl

7 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Correct since we have no idea whether this is a user edited preset or not, we can't remove them. Only a fresh install will have the new presets. The other alternative is to manually delete the presets from the registry and rerun CbB while holding CTRL key down, then tell it to personalize. That should recopy the factory presets. I've not tested this mechanism. 

That said many of the previous presets should work now since we added several plugins that were utilized by them.

I deleted them instead. I found it to be the easier way. I also made a thread about it to help others:

It's not a big deal since it's easier to just locate and delete the files manually. For new users at least they wont be confused why some presets don't work. This also makes Cakewalk seem more polished and will make it easier to recommend to friends without having to explain what doesn't work. 

8 hours ago, TracingArcs said:

Trying to install. 2nd attempt. Just keeps flashing installing. Have rebooted and run Bandlab assistant first with the same results. Just sitting there flashing "installing". BLA up to date. Cakewalk 2020.05 still accessable.

check your download folder for the correct file, hold the Windows key and press "r" to bring up the Run prompt. Type: %appdata%\bandlab-assistant\Downloads. If you do not see 26.08.0.100 in the installer file, delete what you currently have here. Then Exit out of BandLab Assistant, reopen/log in, then try the install again.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Hillmy said:

I deleted them instead. I found it to be the easier way. I also made a thread about it to help others:

It's not a big deal since it's easier to just locate and delete the files manually. For new users at least they wont be confused why some presets don't work. This also makes Cakewalk seem more polished and will make it easier to recommend to friends without having to explain what doesn't work. 

@Hillmy as I explained before this will not happen with new users. That is the whole point of this change.

As Noel, said, the way the installer works is that it looks if those FX Chains are installed. If they are, it doesn't do anything. If they're not, it then adds them to the folder. Likewise it will not modify anything else that's already in that folder, which in this case would be the previous other FX Chains (or any user created ones). 

Toggle Clip Gain edit filter

You can quickly toggle between Track Volume and the last/previously shown data type on the current track. To do so, press the = key. This only works on the current parent track, not in Automation lanes.

To toggle between Clip Gain and the last/previously shown data type on the current track, press SHIFT+=.

There seems to be a problem with the keyboard standard.
It's not works with pressing '-' ('=' with Shift) key on my Japanese keyboard (JIS).
Seems it's works pressing ';' ('+' with Shift) key on my Japanese keyboard (JIS), not US keyboard.

Tried to update but Bandab Assistant just faded the word "Inatalling..." in and out.

After 15min I broke it off.

Started Cakewalk and it said I had an update.

Went back to Bandlab Assistent and it said I am up to date.

Started Cakewalk again and it showed 2020.05 and said I had an update.

In the end I just fresh-installed Cakewalk, seems OK now.

14 hours ago, Al H said:

Hi, all,  I tried to install the 2020 08 update.   All went well until I looked at the version number in "About Cakewalk"  it shows version 2020 05.  HTH Al H

You may need to update the bandlab assistant first before getting the 08 update.

Edited by Tom Riggs
spelling

Pleased to say I now have the updated Cakewalk installed. Thanks to Jonathan Sasor. However having followed the steps suggested the file was not in the d/loads. I went into BLA folder instead on the C drive and found the install file and ran as Admin. And all went ok. However Windows threw up the following "An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .mod files so it was reset to film & tv. Curious.

I think it’s safe to say after a few years that - 

A - the updates are EXCELLENT and are keeping our favorite DAW VERY much alive.

B - the delivery of the updates via Bandlab Assistant is incredibly problematic for some people.  I just had my singer install it recently and it took HOURS which I found bizarre as I don’t typically have issues.

But thank you guys so much for the updates !