Morten Saether

2020.08 Feature Overview

5 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I believe that the question to be solved would be: how to register the plugins without the need to do a "clean installation".

The danger of doing a clean installation is to lose the settings you have.

So the question to be answered is: HOW TO REGISTER THE PLUGINS FOR WHAT CAKEWALK ACKNOWLEDGES?

Assuming the .dll files are installed, you run the regsvr32 function on them.

Go to Start/Run (or hold the windows key and press "r" and type:

regsvr32 “C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins\pluginname.dll” and click OK

Each one would need to be registered manually. 

You shouldn't necessarily need to do a clean install either, if something was blocking the files from registering (sometimes pending windows updates or antivirus programs will block this). Re-running the same installer may succeed as well.

• Like 1

Being a software developer myself, I can't help but try to figure out what might be the problem. I just like puzzles I guess. 🙂

I tried analyzing this to see what could be the difference between our working install and those that do not show the plugins. Of course I have little to go on to do detective work, but still.

The difference I see from my install, and I presume Jonathan's, and those of Patrick and Milton is the language Windows is installed in. Ours is English (although I am a French speaking Canadian I always have used Windows in English), theirs is not. Although we should be tempted to say "it shouldn't make a difference", I have learned in almost 40 years of software development that this kind of statement is only true until we figure out what the problem is.

Maybe something to investigate...

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

@Jacques Boileau the registration of plugins itself is independent of language. The most common reason for that failure is Windows blocking COM object registration but it can also happen due to missing dll dependencies which can happen due to a missing or failed runtime redistributable from Microsoft. These issues are are unfortunately one of the downsides of COM dlls. This only applies to the older DX plugins of course. 

Of course if the plugins are not being installed at all that is a different issue. Jon is investigating that now.

2 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Being a software developer myself, I can't help but try to figure out what might be the problem. I just like puzzles I guess. 🙂

I tried analyzing this to see what could be the difference between our working install and those that do not show the plugins. Of course I have little to go on to do detective work, but still.

The difference I see from my install, and I presume Jonathan's, and those of Patrick and Milton is the language Windows is installed in. Ours is English (although I am a French speaking Canadian I always have used Windows in English), theirs is not. Although we should be tempted to say "it shouldn't make a difference", I have learned in almost 40 years of software development that this kind of statement is only true until we figure out what the problem is.

Maybe something to investigate...

Actually, valid point, the files aren't being installed because the original FX installer did not have a provision for Portuguese or Russian.

@Milton Sica and @Patrick Wichrowski, safe assumption your installs are Portuguese?

We'll update this for BA shortly, but you can go ahead and grab this 2020.08 Update Installer. You can run it on top of your existing 2020.08 installation. I verified the problem and fix on my end, but please confirm. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Actually, valid point, the files aren't being installed because the original FX installer did not have a provision for Portuguese or Russian.

@Milton Sica and @Patrick Wichrowski, safe assumption your installs are Portuguese?

We'll update this for BA shortly, but you can go ahead and grab this 2020.08 Update Installer. You can run it on top of your existing 2020.08 installation. I verified the problem and fix on my end, but please confirm. Thanks!

Yes, Portuguese install.

and

Wow, problem solved :D

Thanks thanks thanks ;)

118912450_CakewalkClassicFXworking.jpg.46eaf4cc9111bf3ba6776cff0e75a821.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Na verdade, ponto válido, os arquivos não estão sendo instalados porque o instalador FX original não tinha provisão para português ou russo.

@Milton Sica e @Patrick Wichrowski, é seguro supor que suas instalações são portuguesas?

Atualizaremos isso para BA em breve, mas você pode ir em frente e pegar este  instalador de atualização 2020.08 . Você pode executá-lo em cima de sua instalação 2020.08 existente. Eu verifiquei o problema e resolvi, mas por favor confirme. Obrigado!

Yes. My installation is in Portugueze.

Now, is perfect. Thank you.

image.png.6f251073894efd10dcc37b82d37bbb57.png

• Like 2