Why are my two MIDI tracks not syncing with each other?

Clare Sudbery

Hi

I'm new to Cakewalk - just downloaded it.

I've created two new MIDI tracks, using two different instruments.

According to what I see on the screen in the piano roll view, and also according to the event view, they both start at the same time on the same note. But when I play them, one of them starts a split second behind the other and they are not playing simultaneously. I can't find anything in the documentation that would explain why this is happening?

On a side note, I'm struggling to find documentation for the MIDI functionality - whenever I search the link below I get documentation for SONAR X2, which seems to have had a significantly different interface.

This is the link I'm using for documentation - which I get to via the Help menu in Cakewalk: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x184C5

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Clare Sudbery

6 hours ago, Clare Sudbery said:

On a side note, I'm struggling to find documentation for the MIDI functionality - whenever I search the link below I get documentation for SONAR X2, which seems to have had a significantly different interface.

The better search strategy is use the CbB documentation index. When using the sites keyword search many of the old SONAR urls in the results can be changed to the current doc by altering the product name in the url to Cakewalk. While I mostly use the documentation index, I do occasionally  perform keyword searches, after getting the result I use the "SONAR Platinum, Professional Artist documentation" filter at the top of the page to eliminate the older versions of SONAR, pick a page and if necessary perform the product name change in the url.

There is also a pdf but it may be a release or two behind. The web-based help is always current.

13 hours ago, Clare Sudbery said:

According to what I see on the screen in the piano roll view, and also according to the event view, they both start at the same time on the same note. But when I play them, one of them starts a split second behind the other and they are not playing simultaneously. I can't find anything in the documentation that would explain why this is happening?

Make sure the PDC (plug-in delay compensation) button is not on. You'll find it in the Control Bar in the Mix Module.

14 hours ago, Clare Sudbery said:

Hi

I'm new to Cakewalk - just downloaded it.

I've created two new MIDI tracks, using two different instruments.

Thank you in advance!

A bit unclear if those tracks are programmed or recorded live.

Anyway - midi tracks can have timebase that follow tempo or not.

You can lock clip in absolute time - having clip anchored in position or both position and length - as absolute time or tempo/grid.

But normal is musical time following tempo and the grid.

But don't really see how you change by accident though, on one. But one way playback does not follow the grid.

But it is possible to record free wheeling without notice to tempo and have that kept, disregarding what grid says or tempo say.

Then you can adjust to grid in Cakewalk, or rather the other way around, set a certain pos to a bar no.

What is the origin of your  midi tracks? Are you using a vsti, such as Aria, Play or Kontakt? some libraries may have a "hitch" at the beginning. For example, when I was using Vienna special Edition 1, the first note might not play. In that case, try Bitflipper's suggestion. This can also be corrected by adjusting the timing. for me, it went away when I cross-graded SP1 to the Vienna Synchron version, rather than the Vienna Ensemble Player. 

On 8/5/2020 at 6:39 AM, Clare Sudbery said:

Always, I means always start every project on measure 2, beat 1. Not measure 1, beat1

• Like 1

The playback timing is not synchronized from "2020.07 Early Access".
The sound source is "Vienna Ensemble Pro 7", and Kontakt is used.

Moreover, even if "VEP7" is not used, it has been confirmed that the playback synchronization is lost if some VST3 (Mmelda Production products etc.) effects are used.

I reported it in the Early Access feedback, but...

Added.
Synchronous effect shift when using VST3 of Mmelda Production has occurred in past versions.
The same effect was synchronized in VST2.

Edited by Toy

48 minutes ago, Toy said:

The playback timing is not synchronized from "2020.07 Early Access".
The sound source is "Vienna Ensemble Pro 7", and Kontakt is used.

Moreover, even if "VEP7" is not used, it has been confirmed that the playback synchronization is lost if some VST3 (Mmelda Production products etc.) effects are used.

I reported it in the Early Access feedback, but...

Added.
Synchronous effect shift when using VST3 of Mmelda Production has occurred in past versions.
The same effect was synchronized in VST2.

Two things to check:
1. The Playback Timing master in Preferences->Audio->Driver Settings is correctly set to your playback device

2. Your ThreadSchedulingModel in Preferences->Audio->Configuration File ... if it's set to 3, set it to 2.  ThreadSchedulingModel 3 doesn't work for all users.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Two things to check:
1. The Playback Timing master in Preferences->Audio->Driver Settings is correctly set to your playback device

2. Your ThreadSchedulingModel in Preferences->Audio->Configuration File ... if it's set to 3, set it to 2.  ThreadSchedulingModel 3 doesn't work for all users.

A1
No problem. With the previous version, VEP is normal.

A2
ThreadSchedulingModel3 did not work properly in my environment, so I set it to 2.
If it is 3, the CPU load is too high and playback cannot be performed normally.
Regarding ThreadSchedulingModel settings, is it a problem with dual Xeon workstations?

As reported in 2020.08 Feedback, in the current version, when recording directly, the sound is delayed from the display on the piano roll screen. Also, the timing of the recorded MIDI input is very crazy. (*Single track playback)
When playback was performed first and switching to recording, synchronization was successful.
It is an amateur idea. Isn't the latency of VEP(plug-in) corrected when recording directly?
I feel that the sound delay is about the same as the plug-in latency.

The specific situation during playback.
When 40 tracks are distributed by VEP and played from the beginning, there is a delay between tracks that was not available in previous versions.
Also, when playing from the middle of the song, it does not sync at all.
This is also a situation that was not in previous versions.

Edited by Toy