Feature: Please add some recovery features

TheCrazyLunatic8

47 minutes ago, TheCrazyLunatic8 said:

I was making a nice layout where I could have all my instruments at hand, and then Cakewalk just crashed on me. Lost almost 1.5 hours of work. Have to add 30+ tracks all over again and rename each. Very disappointing that cakewalk doesn't already have this.

But it has. Under Edit > Preferences > File > Advanced you can specify exactly after how many minutes or after how many changes an auto-save should occur, whatever happens first. I have mine set to 10 minutes or 10 changes. You can also optionally select “Enable Versioning of Project (.CWP) Files” and the number of versions you want to keep. You must have Advanced checked at the bottom of the Preferences window to be able to see those entries.

• Like 2

Call it old habits, but I've been through some rough patches with Sonar where I've had major corruption issues (hasn't been bad for many many years though). I save crap ton of iterations of my projects and I ONLY rely on manual save. Auto save has corrupted a file on me before.  :)

Example: image.thumb.png.066b9b88c6e0b1edd2d88af238d289d9.png

Edited by Josh Wolfer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I switched the autosave off at some point as it used to cause crashes, I mean I am talking years back since I last used it ...it just seemed .." dangerous "

Yup. I have sever trust issue. but said trust issues make it so I don't run into too many problems anymore :D

Good point. CW does have an auto-save feature in the setup. However, I too have lost my work because I don't use the auto-save. Why? because I do want to be able to undo and go back to a previous history and ditch my changes. So perhaps if the processor use, memory and disk i.o. consumption won't prohibit it, perhaps we should be asking for is a history list, something like what you may see done in Photoshop.

Autosave has been redone a little - I think 2 versions back. It has higher priority or something like that now.  It seems to be way more reliable now.  That  being said I just noticed  a song I have been working on a while is {Song name - }312.cwp!!  My history list.  Sometimes you just have to go back and copy one track from an old er version.  These backups have saved me countless times. Too much time lost if you don't save save save!

On 8/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, Canopus said:

But it has. Under Edit > Preferences > File > Advanced you can specify exactly after how many minutes or after how many changes an auto-save should occur, whatever happens first. I have mine set to 10 minutes or 10 changes. You can also optionally select “Enable Versioning of Project (.CWP) Files” and the number of versions you want to keep. You must have Advanced checked at the bottom of the Preferences window to be able to see those entries.

Thank. You. So. Much!!! However, I meant when the project crashes due to a power-cut, or something like that. Like Sketchbook does. However, this makes it better. Thanks again!

Edited by TheCrazyLunatic8