Levante Blues (Delta style Blues)

53mph

Back in 2004, I spent a few months travelling around the Coasts of Italy. The soundtrack to my journey was early Country Blues (or Delta Blues) by artists such as Skip James and Lead Belly; plus a heavy dose of Takoma Records (John Fahey, Leo Kottke). At each stop along the way I would get out my Tanglewood and jam in an open tuning, recording what I could on an old MP3 player - such was life pre-smartphones. The tracks on this album are the result of these early recordings. Songs for travelling, written on the road, released 16 years later.

https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/levante-blues

• Like 4

Love these tunes, I studied Mississippi John Hurt quite a few years ago now. I might still be able to play Spikedriver Blues if I give myself a few days of plunking on it.  :) The sound is great as is the playing! I do hear some distortion on the bass notes on the first track. I don't know if it's my listening set up or the recording, but it's something you might want to check in a few different contexts (assuming you haven't already done that.)

Love this stuff!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Kevin Walsh I've got a very basic setup which I use to its maximum potential, for want of no other means. I mastered everything through headphones so I'm not surprised if some distortion crept in. I'll get onto it when I come back from the mountains and see if I can iron them out. Thanks for heads up.

I enjoyed this very much.  Well done.  You certainly have captured the sound of the Delta Blues and the southern Chitlin' Circuit sounds.  I have been listening to the other Mississippi guy recently.  Mississippi Fred McDowell.  He is kind of a transition from the early Delta Blues (acoustic) to the Chicago Blues (electric).  I love it all!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, freddy j said:

I enjoyed this very much.  Well done.  You certainly have captured the sound of the Delta Blues and the southern Chitlin' Circuit sounds.  I have been listening to the other Mississippi guy recently.  Mississippi Fred McDowell.  He is kind of a transition from the early Delta Blues (acoustic) to the Chicago Blues (electric).  I love it all!

Is Chicago blues like the sound of Johnny Lee hooker? I love that sound. I'll check out all the recommendations.

Thanks everyone. 👍

Hi Phillip.

John Lee Hooker is indeed Chicago Blues by way of the Delta and Detroit.  However, the C. Blues are very eclectic including such artists as Muddy Waters, Little Walter,  Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, etc.  Again, great work on this Delta style song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've just got back from the mountains and I'm hoping to use some of the field recordings I made there. But I might also dust off and restring the old Dobro and get it back into action for a follow-up CD. ;) Cheers again! :D