Changing the Sample rate of an existing 100% VSTi based project

JohnK

Question

Changing the Sample rate of an existing project would seem like a no brainer, but I have looked through the menu, and searched the Cakewalk Reference Guide, and I am embarrassed to say, I cant find how to do it?

I can set a different sample rate when creating a new project, but If I open an existing project, I can not see how to change it. My projects are all simply VSTi based, and have no samples within them, so I do not need to convert any contained samples. Its simply the sample rate the synths will render at.

Please embarrass me and let me know where it is?

5 answers to this question

When you use File -> Export -> Audio you can change the sample rate in the dialog. Doesn't affect the project, just resamples while exporting.

As for choosing the Dithering, have a search through the forum for suggestions under search term "dither." I suspect there will be a few opinions. 😀

10 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

When you use File -> Export -> Audio you can change the sample rate in the dialog. Doesn't affect the project, just resamples while exporting.

As for choosing the Dithering, have a search through the forum for suggestions under search term "dither." I suspect there will be a few opinions. 😀

I need to explicitly change the sample rate of an existing project, not the exported output,

My problem is that I have a VSTi that does not appear to support 48Khz, but only 44,1KHz. As such, it plays the samples (SF2) at the wrong speed and so is about 2 semitones up in pitch i.e. out of tune. If I create a new project at 44.1KHz, the synth is in tune, However, all my existing projects are set at 48KHz, and hence the need to be able to change the internal sample rate of an existing project. 

Edited by John Kalabric

8 minutes ago, scook said:

If there is no audio in the project, the sample rate is set by reading the Sample Rate value in the Default Settings for New Projects section of Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings

Once a project references an audio clip, the sample rate for the project is read from the audio clip header.

If you are talking about "Default Settings For New Projects", then NO, that has not changed the current project.

I have a test project with no audio, only 2 VSTI's (one of SFZ and the other of the test VSTi). I load the same soundfont, and select a sine wave patch for both, and then play the same single note on each, and they clash.

If a I create a new project at 44.1KHz, and do the same thing, then they both match.

Sample rate is not stored in the the project.

The program logic for determining sample rate is as I explained above. It does not matter when the project was created. Project sample rate may be changed at any time until there is an audio clip in the project.

The current project sample rate is shown in the transport module.