Save always bringing up dialog?

Mastiff

Question

Why does CW always bring up a dialog box full of options when I hit save (not "save as")?  It's disconcerting to have to pick the same filename and confirm that I want to overwrite.  Isn't this implied?  I think I must be misunderstanding something.  Thanks.

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Mastiff said:

Why does CW always bring up a dialog box full of options when I hit save (not "save as")?  It's disconcerting to have to pick the same filename and confirm that I want to overwrite.  Isn't this implied?  I think I must be misunderstanding something.  Thanks.

What type of file are you loading?  If it's a .mid file, you'll always get the dialog as the Cakewalk file format is .cwp which stores far more information than a .mid file. The dialog appears to make sure you're happy to save as .mid and essentially lose any information that .mid files won't store.

If you're opening a .cwp file, you won't get the dialog when saving.

I had a recent project that kept bringing up the dialog . If I used Save As and then continued with the project , each time I used the regular Save the dialog popped up. If I closed the project after a save as , and then reopened it , a normal save never brought up the dialog.      mark   

19 hours ago, msmcleod said:

What type of file are you loading?  If it's a .mid file, you'll always get the dialog as the Cakewalk file format is .cwp which stores far more information than a .mid file. The dialog appears to make sure you're happy to save as .mid and essentially lose any information that .mid files won't store.

If you're opening a .cwp file, you won't get the dialog when saving.

I created a project, imported some audio, changed some things, etc, then saved the whole project as a bundle. Initially I used "save as" then "save", but save continues to bring up the dialog box asking for file name, instead of just saving into the old project as I'd expect.

11 hours ago, Mastiff said:

then saved the whole project as a bundle

There is the problem. Do not use .bun files to save your work. The bundle file is a dinosaur left over from the early days of Cakewalk's foray into audio editing. Save as a Cakewalk Project file (.cwp). 

On 8/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, Base 57 said:

There is the problem. Do not use .bun files to save your work. The bundle file is a dinosaur left over from the early days of Cakewalk's foray into audio editing. Save as a Cakewalk Project file (.cwp). 

Seems to work, thanks.