Adding wav. files to midi key's

Jim Littel

I have a ton of drum samples that include, variety of bells, splash, china's and other various versions of them. I wanna add them to the midi keyboard so i can sequence them myself. like other drum sequencers. i can't find a solution. i don't mind the drums that are native to cakewalk  i feel like i already have the "tones" to do so. i see 'Drum replacer' but i already have the samples in a file and all  i wanna do is drag and drop it to whatever ever key on the midi controller.  

9 hours ago, Jim Littel said:

I have a ton of drum samples that include, variety of bells, splash, china's and other various versions of them. I wanna add them to the midi keyboard so i can sequence them myself. like other drum sequencers. i can't find a solution. i don't mind the drums that are native to cakewalk  i feel like i already have the "tones" to do so. i see 'Drum replacer' but i already have the samples in a file and all  i wanna do is drag and drop it to whatever ever key on the midi controller.  

A few years back I created an app that converts a folder full of samples into an SFZ instrument, which can then be loaded and played in something like the SFZ VSTi.

It can do tuned instruments, instrument per sample  or drum samples mapped into a single SFZ, on different keys.

If you are interested, I will search for where i originally posted the info on it, which may act like a help/instruction file.

• 7 months later...

There's also my current go-to, Speedrum Lite.

It's similar to Sitala and Poise. 16 pads, drag and drop from a folder or Cakewalk clip, each pad maps to a note on your MIDI keyboard. Also free.

I find Sitala, Poise, and Speedrum Lite to be similar enough to be interchangeable for my uses. I settled on Speedrum Lite because I liked the darker UI and the 16 outputs.

They all have their discrete charms. Poise can do multiple samples per pad with velocity switching, which is good for drum kits that have multiple samples per instrument, Sitala can do beat slicing. Speedrum Lite has an attractive, scalable UI.

I consider them to be what I'm using while I wait for Cakewalk to get its own sampler. Who knows?

• Great Idea 1