Pulsar Audio's Echorec is 29 euros (71% off) at VSTBuzz

Reid Rosefelt

Get it HERE

ECHOREC– A Legendary-Sounding Delay

Vintage Echorec devices are known for their saturation, self-oscillation, and oversound, all shaping the music produced in the 70s. They are also, however, known to be fragile and difficult to maintain.

For this plugin three different units, in different conditions, have been precisely modeled, to have all sounds from the cleanest magnetic delay, to the most grunge. The Echorec will offer you:

The sound of a legendary machine that has marked the history of music

The unique ability to create rhythmic delays using its 4 read heads

A delay of unequalled sound density, making it easier to place in the music

The advantages of “organic” analog sound as well as the advantages of digital sound (presets, parameter automation, etc.)

These additions and the signature sound of the Binson Echorec 2 make this echo a must-have tool for any mixer who wants to add the subtle analog life, which is sorely lacking in digital delay plugins.

A Unique Custom Modification Of The Classic 60’s Binson Echo/Delay Unit

Why It’s Unique

The Pulsar Echorec plugin gives you a faithful emulation of the legendary echo unit of the same name; furthermore, many workflow improvements have been added to the original, such as the ability to change the motor speed (and so the delay time) in real time or to sync it to any tempo, including a tapped tempo.

Authentic Tube Sound

The exact sound of the all-tube input section of the Binson Echorec has been precisely replicated. Special attention was paid to the modeling of pre-emphasis filters.

Magnetic Field Recreation

Any sound going through a magnetic device is modified in a particular way. Complex processes in the Echorec disk involving magnetic saturation and hysteresis have been precisely modeled.

Stereo Drift

As an improvement to the original hardware design, Pulsar Audio added the possibility of slightly detuning the left and right channels. The result is a large stereo echo with precisely placed repetitions.

Creative Modulations

Sound engineers always have their tricks. One of the coolest with the Echorec is the ability to slow the disk down with a finger, resulting in creative pitch modulation or wow and flutter effects on the delayed signal.

Three States Of Wear

Any Binson unit found nowadays has traveled 50 years through time. Some are in mint condition, and some are used. During measurements, it was found that each unit had a special color, and some are really nice independently from the unit condition. So we selected the three units we liked the most.

Off Mode

Some effects just sound incredibly good, even when they’re not supposed to affect the sound at all. The Binson Echorec is one of these. So Pulsar Audio carefully designed an Off mode that reproduces the color and grit of the delayed signal, without any delay.

For more details on all of these features read the User Manual HERE.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 4

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.......

also that guy from the White Sea Studio / Snake Oil youtube channel.....spends most of the time complaining about the (rather good) GUI - and it's obvious he has ZERO idea what an echorec actually is or what it should sound like (he keeps calling it a tape delay)  Then he tries to evaluate if it sounds authentic......

how does this get 34,000 views ?  Do people trust this kind of "review" ?

(rant over - it's still early and I need more tea :) ) 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, simon said:

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.......

also that guy from the White Sea Studio / Snake Oil youtube channel.....spends most of the time complaining about the (rather good) GUI - and it's obvious he has ZERO idea what an echorec actually is or what it should sound like (he keeps calling it a tape delay)  Then he tries to evaluate if it sounds authentic......

how does this get 34,000 views ?  Do people trust this kind of "review" ?

(rant over - it's still early and I need more tea :) ) 

Should I take down the Snake Oil guy?  I find his whining amusing.  Also,  this whole issue of realistic GUI is also something that is a big rant for me...  I enjoy a a nice graphic for a plugin, but I'm suspicious of how much I'm looking more than listening. 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Should I take down the Snake Oil guy?  I find his whining amusing.  Also,  this whole issue of realistic GUI is also something that is a big rant for me...  I enjoy a a nice graphic for a plugin, but I'm suspicious of how much I'm looking more than listening. 😄

please leave it up :) - everyone is entitled to an opinion (no matter how uninformed it may be !)

I do like a realistic GUI - especially on something that is supposed to be a recreation of a very specific FX - I've stopped worrying about if it's influencing my opinion on the sound.  IMO having a good time whilst doing music is much more important than the result and usually the 'good time' is reflected in the output.

Just having a play with the echorec now - it's very nice.  I have the audiority one too - this is different but good.  Thanks for the heads-up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Mesh said:

Do you guys use this regularly and is it worth it?

maybe not something you use everyday - but it's fun and has a 'vibe' - I think the audiority one is slightly better (also on sale).

https://www.audiority.com/shop/echoes-t7e/

The GUI is nice on the pulsar one - think it's the same guy that does some of the (excellent) arturia FX

EDIT

this link might work out cheaper for you?

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/3920

Edited by simon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mesh said:

Thanks Simon, appreciate the links.

I do have IK's Tape Echo and don't really want more of the same. Sadly, I rarely use the tape Echo....but you know, new GAS can be a bit overwhelming at times. ;) 

It's not the same as a tape echo - different kind of thing.   Think 70s Pink Floyd

Doesn't seem to be a demo of the Audiority one (?) but the Pulsar one does - give it a try and see if the idea of it works for you.  Even if you miss out on the intro price on the pulsar the Audiority one is slightly better (again IMO) so you can still get a deal on that.

(EDIT)

the pulsar one is ilok which I know upsets some people (no probs with that here - in fact I prefer it)

Edited by simon
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I wonder if it was done by the Arturia guy. It is one of the coolest GUIs I have ever seen.  I'm sure it adds to fun of using it.

I'm a sucker for a good looking GUI - and this one is very good ....and so are the Arturia ones.  I know it doesn't affect how it sounds but it makes it more like using a hardware box - as you say adds to the fun :)

• Like 1

I do like it and played around with it for a good hour. The sound/fx was quite pleasant/responded well, however, it's a bit of a 'one trick pony' and doubt I'll be using it on a regular basis......YMMV. Still pretty good, nonetheless.

When downloading this, I also noticed I had Audi Audiority's Deleight (multi-tap delay) plugin which was never installed (possibly because I got it for free at some point) and will have to test that as well. Audiority has some interesting plugins (looking at that Tube Modulator ;)).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesh said:

Tube Modulator

I got this recently (last couple of months) on a great sale. I may have used it on every mix since.  It rocks!

-- edit --

It was June at PB for less than $10!  Still on sale for $22 and worth every penny!

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/33-Modulator/4123-Tube-Modulator

Edited by mibby
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Reid for somewhat derailing this thread, but got some very useful info in the process (demoing Tube Modulator.....GAS, GAS, GAS)

Now, back to your local programme……. 'Days of our lives plugins'!

Edited by Mesh