Feature: Bounce to clips toggle: Include X-fades or not

Josh Wolfer

There are times when I'd like to bounce a clip, but not have the X-fade committed to the clip bounce. For example: 

I have a scraped percussion sample. I split the clip before the main transient and stretched out he rising part to make it longer. I bounce the clip to get the higher quality stretch engine, but I don't want the xfade committed, as I make slide it around and continue making it sit perfectly. In this case, I also built my own gain curve using clip gain automation and wanted to commit that, but still not commit the xfade. 

image.thumb.png.15f32218f16ab2597b8c57cf25d765d5.png

What I end up doing currently, is just remove the xfade, bounce and re-add the xfade. Not horrible bad, but It'd be nice to have the option. In general, my workflow is typically something like:

• Bouncing multiple clips together = I want the xfades to be committed to the final clip. 
  • Bouncing a single clip on it's own = I want the xfades to not be committed to the final clip. I'm bouncing to commit the higher quality stretch algorithm and/or commit gain clip gain automation.

As always, my workflow doesn't speak for everyone else's. So it'd be nice to have a toggle that is keybind assignable as well. Also, if it had a quick toggle icon like ripple editing, and xfades does, bonus ;) But I already filed a feature for that, to bring back some of the lost 8.5 functionality ;)

It does not have to be a synth to freeze.  You can freeze any audio track even one with no effects on it.

EDIT: 

I hardly ever bounce clips till close to the end of finishing a project. There is little need to do this. I only do this to clean up the projectand export the audio before backing it up. I also save projects as song-01, song 02, song 03, so I can pull up any older parts and copy them back to the original song. This might help too. I would leave them un-bounced till you are finished, then bounce them.  I don't understand why you want to bounce them (audio quality I guess).  You could also make 2 tracks. One bounced and one not. That way you could listen to the higher quality stretch and edit the cross faded one.  Just edit the crossfade clip, clean the bounced track, then CTRL-Drag crossfade clip to the bounce track. Mute and un mute of tracks can be set up in a group to make one click to swap from cross fade clip tracks to bounced tracks.

Max Arwood

Edited by Max Arwood
added info

On 8/5/2020 at 12:39 AM, Max Arwood said:

if your computer has a fast enough cpu you could set high quality on un-bounced clips. The setting for this is under audio and playback-stretch methods. Set all to pro or percussion. Just listen and see which you like best. 

I'm running an 8 core i9 at 5Ghz with 64 GB of ram. Resources are not a problem. But I don't want to unnecessarily use those resources. I always bounce when I know what I've done is fine to be committed. Especially things like Audio snap sound much better with the high quality engine and I'm not going to leave them churning up CPU when they don't need to be. 

I get that you're trying help, but I have this workflow for a reason. And I get that I'm probably in the minority on this. I'm reporting the feature because it would be useful to me. If they bakers decide to implement it or not, is up to them. :)

Cheers.