Feature: When adding an instrument track, insert it under the currently selected track

Josh Wolfer

When adding an instrument track, insert it under the currently selected track. Currently, it adds it to the very end of my track list and I have to move it to where I actually want it. 

This behavior is already good when adding an audio track by right clicking a track -> Insert Audio Track. It looks like the track is first created at the end and then quickly moved to after the current track. 

The way I add instrument tracks is to double click on the plugin in the plugin browser and select instrument track. 

If nothing else, it'd be nice if it put the new track into the same track folder the selected track is in. 

Not trying to be pedantic, but over the last 2 hours, I've added 6 instrument tracks and each time, I had to drag it back up into the folder of tracks I'm working with. 

Is this reasonable? Thoughts?  

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Workaround perhaps?

Create a track template for each of your synths - Also configure the track template how you like before saving the track template.

Then when you insert the Track Template, it places it where you have right clicked and added.

You should read pp. 320-325 of the Cakewalk Reference Guide.

I'm not saying this in the spirit of "RTFM," but rather to confirm or not my opinion that the behavior is not consistent with, or not described, in the manual.

Under the topic header "Inserting tracks," it describes highlighting the track where you want your new track to go, then pressing INSERT or clicking on the Add Track ("+") button or right-clicking to insert a single track, with the described behavior:

"Cakewalk shifts the current track and all tracks below it down by one, and inserts a blank, new track at the location of the highlight."

I just checked, and this is only true for MIDI tracks, Audio tracks, and Folders, and only when they are inserted via the right click menu. Instrument tracks, and any tracks "inserted" via any other method, including pressing the INSERT key, using the global Insert menu, and clicking the Add Track button, are all added as you describe, down at the bottom of the Track list. Either the Ref. Guide has it wrong or Cakewalk does (I think).

So you all may have a bug fix, not a feature request. Happy day if so, 'cause I expect those probably get a faster track.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 2:09 PM, Josh Wolfer said:

When adding an instrument track, insert it under the currently selected track. Currently, it adds it to the very end of my track list and I have to move it to where I actually want it. 

If this is made an option for those who want it, I would prefer the current method be the default.

I have the word from on high. There are two behaviors, "Insert Track" and "Add Track." Insert puts the new track right above the currently selected track. Add puts it at the bottom of the list.

The user is supposed to be able to access both behaviors depending on which menu or button they use, but as noted here, it's not working 100% as described. Currently there's no way to create an instrument track and have it appear just above your currently selected track, and there should be a way to do that. So the "option" is designed in, it's just not implemented correctly at the moment.

Also, tracks that are added via a couple of methods that are labeled "Insert" (Global Insert menu  and INSERT key) result in the "Add" behavior, which also may  not be correct.

I suspect this will get sorted in a future release, so hang tight. Prognosis is good.

• Like 1