Snippet of my cover of Genesis live Firth of Fifth

Robert Bone

Howdy - I am absolutely STUNNED, in a good way, at how gorgeous the Kontakt Studio Drummer - Session Kit drum library drum samples sound.  Just amazing.

Please note: This snippet is a work in progress - I am still adding MIDI drum parts, and have done ZERO mixing, yet.  I am sharing it, because of how impressed I am with the sounds from the Kontakt Studio Drummer drum library.  I promise to post the completed cover, once it is finished and mixed/mastered. :)

So, this is a super tiny snippet of my cover of the Genesis Firth of Fifth live version, from their Seconds Out album.  I promise to post the whole thing, when I get it finished.

I am currently working on the drum parts, which after running through 5 real drummers, who all bailed, I just went ahead and started adding all the drums using MIDI, and the Kontakt Studio Drummer - Session Kit, for the sample library for the drum sounds.

In the cover version of the song, friends recorded the bass, guitar, and bass pedal parts (the bass player has, and used for this, an actual working, 40+ year old real set of Moog Taurus bass pedals, and when the whole, completed, cover version gets posted by me when completed, you will get to hear those, plus the fabulous and bone-shaking thunder of those pedals, coupled with the Mellotron strings).

I am playing the keyboard synth lead here, and you cannot hear it very well, also the organ chords underneath the synth solo. The drums you hear, in this snippet, are all done with MIDI - entered, and edited, using the Cakewalk Step Sequencer.   I picked this snippet, because this is where I am in the song - adding the MIDI drum parts, and because I am so amazed at how well that Kontakt Studio Drummer library sounds. 

If anybody has that drum library - it comes with Komplete 12 - shoot me a message, with an email (don't post your email here in this open thread), and I will happily share the custom Cakewalk drum map and project template, and track template, that I built for that drum library - I have them uploaded into a shared folder on Dropbox.

So, I hope folks enjoy this tiny snippet, and the wonderful sounds of the Kontakt drum library.

Unmixed cover version of Genesis - Firth of Fifth Seconds Out live version - small snippet in keyboard solo

Bob Bone

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wookiee said:

You is evil only 13 seconds of one of the best Tony Banks moments ever, do not keep us waiting Mr. Bone. 🤬

It does sound quite good though @Robert Bone.

I didn't start out to be evil - it kind of snuck up on me.  It has its upsides, though - minions, henchmen, the whole Bwa Ha Ha evil laugh, I have my 'lair', but then there are the long hours.....

I am working hard to finish entering all the drum MIDI data, by hand, and editing velocities and such, for particular rolls/fills, to match the original live recording from Seconds Out, that this cover is coming from. 

I really want to share it here, but that evilnessicity in me prevents it.  (that is evil-speak for me wanting to get the drums finished, and the song mixed/mastered first).

By the way, it is no small feat, to try to transcribe one of the most epic live performance of any song on the planet, ever.  For sure, Phil is trashing away on the skins, and the 2nd drummer for this song is likely Chester Thompson, however Bill Bruford also played on that tour, which is what freed Phil up to front the band, after Peter Gabriel left.  I dimly recall seeing that on Seconds Out, Bruford is playing only on Cinema Show, but I am not sure that is accurate, though I have zero evidence to refute that.

Anyways - today's adventures include working on helping my friend's son, and the son's friend, swap their hard drives around, into 2 different motherboards, and that is always a joy.  They are coming at 3 PM to pick them up, and I can jump back into editing Firth, once that happens.  I will try to convince my evil self to relent, and get Firth finished and posted, but that whole evil personna also includes a lack of empathy.....hee hee la la la

Bob Bone

• Haha 2

@Robert Bone You are correct, for a short while Sir (As he bl&&dy well should be called) Bill Bruford, drummer extraordinaire, did play on the Seconds Out Tour before Mr Thompson joined as the permanent drummer for when Phil was out front.

I do understand, I would hate to have to transcribe Collins drumming, his HH work on Nursery Cryme is  a wonder to listen to, whilst he may have been a solo PITA, his drumming in early Genesis and Brand X is exquisite.    

Yes I am a bit of a drumming nerd I did play drums once.

• Like 1

I am a huge Genesis fan so I can't wait to hear the whole thing, that teaser sounds pretty good to me. I simply cannot imagine where you'd even start coding the drums on this and as for Mr Hackett's guitar work on this track - incredible. Good luck with it. Andy

ahh - one of my favourites... best Genesis keyboard solo and best Genesis guitar solo in the same song.... come to think of it, I think it's my favourite album too.

I learned the piano intro when I was 13, and I played it so much I can still play it without thinking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

I am a huge Genesis fan so I can't wait to hear the whole thing, that teaser sounds pretty good to me. I simply cannot imagine where you'd even start coding the drums on this and as for Mr Hackett's guitar work on this track - incredible. Good luck with it. Andy

Well, thanks, first of all.  Also, I had some help with the recording of the guitar, bass, and bass pedal parts, fom two friends of mine.  Both of them played EXCEPTIONALLY well, and that helped me a lot.

A would like to add a couple of notes - 1) The bass player owns an actual, real, 40+ year old set of the original Moog Taurus bass pedals. which is what comes thundering in, for this song, with the famous Mellotron strings sound, in the guitar solo.  So, we were able to track those bass pedals, which are amazingly still working, though the contact points sometimes did not fire, and required a couple of retakes.  But, we got them.  2) I have worked hard to gather up a collection of Kontakt libraries, and software emulations, of almost every keyboard Tony Banks ever used, in their entire history of concerts and on albums, so when you hear, in this snippet, that wonderful synth lead tone, that is pretty much THE sound Tony used on the Seconds Out album, which was an ARP Pro Soloist.  Same thing for the organ - I have a really spot on emulation of the Hammond L-122 organ, with Leslie speaker, as well as the RMI Electra piano, and the Mellotron.  

Here is a another tiny little part of a song - the intro and pre-vocals full band for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.  I played this using a Kontakt library of the RMI Electra piano, and I added a little phaser.  While this one has real drums, it is not yet mixed, whatsoever, and the whole song WILL get posted, but this should give you an idea of how closely I was able to replicate the sounds:

Cover of Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Intro and some pre-verse full band

Bob Bone

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 12:21 PM, Robert Bone said:

Here is a another tiny little part of a song - the intro and pre-vocals full band for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.  I played this using a Kontakt library of the RMI Electra piano, and I added a little phaser.  While this one has real drums, it is not yet mixed, whatsoever, and the whole song WILL get posted, but this should give you an idea of how closely I was able to replicate the sounds:

Cover of Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Intro and some pre-verse full band

Bravo 👏👏👏

• Like 1