Sustain - not great for high notes

Adri R

Question

Just got myself a sustain pedal and is now plugged into my midi controller. I get some sustain effect with this pedal, however, mostly for the lower octaves, the high octaves do not seem to be affected by the pressing of the pedal. Any thoughts on this?

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Adri R said:

Just got myself a sustain pedal and is now plugged into my midi controller. I get some sustain effect with this pedal, however, mostly for the lower octaves, the high octaves do not seem to be affected by the pressing of the pedal. Any thoughts on this?

Which synth?  Which MIDI controller?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adri R said:

Hi! Thanks for your question. I've got the Studiologic SL990 midi controller  and the pedal is the M-Audio SP-2.

We still need to know what synth (or sound module) you're using.

The inability of the sustain to operate higher notes would be an issue with the synth.

It could also be an issue with the zones on the SL990. The sustain pedal may only be operational on the lower zone - check your user guide. 

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Promidi said:

We still need to know what synth (or sound module) you're using.

The inability of the sustain to operate higher notes would be an issue with the synth.

Not entirely sure what you mean,  but the midi controller is directly hooked with my PC via USB. I use Cakewalk and it's working with driver Asio4all

Is this the info u were seeking? I suspect my preferences setup may need some adjustment just have no idea where...thanks mate

Capture.JPG

To make actual sounds, you need to have either an external synth module or a VSTi internal synth.

By the look of your screenshot , you do not have any MIDI outs selected , so you must be using a VSTi internal softsynth. 

Just need to know what that synth is.  What is actually generating the notes when you press keys on the SL990?

Maybe show a screenshot of your tracks - including your instrument track

• Like 1

The SL keyboards do not have any onboard sounds, so you need to find out what instrument is playing.

It would not be unusual to have a sampled piano that does not sustain on high notes because that is the natural behavior of a piano that is being modeled. A carefully modeled sustain pedal will typically just disable damping, the way the pedal on a real piano does and not loop the sound to any given length as many softsynths or electric pianos do when the key is just held indefinitely. Short light piano wires dissipate energy very fast compared to long heavy piano wires so even with damping disabled the sound will die out much more quickly. A similar effect is expected with realistically sampled guitars or other plucked instruments. 

Edited by slartabartfast