1st movement, Symphony #11

Jerry Gerber

Hi fellow Cakewalk musicians,

I had planned on spending the year writing vocal music.  I started the year writing two pieces, and then the pandemic hit.  Since it's impossible to bring singers into the studio to record (I'm in California which is currently seeing large increases in cases and deaths) and I'm not keen on trying to set things up remotely,  I just canned the idea and started a new instrumental piece that doesn't need players or singers. 

Scored for VSL Orchestral Cube and Dune (softsynth).  I hope you enjoy listening!

PLAY

• Like 3

8 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

I liked how you used dune as a rhythmic element.  Was that what sounded like a bug zapper?    you  use synths effectively in these contexts.  BTWthanks for including the score!

Thanks for listening David.  Yes, Dune is the only synth in this movement. 

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

I improved the timing between the softsynth (Dune) and the orchestral samples.  The movement now has more of the feel I was going for..

Some softsynths have very sharp attacks, much sharper than orchestral samples, even marcato or other fast attacks are capable of.   My solution is to move the synth tracks forward in time (later) so I can achieve better sync with the attacks.   This small adjustment can greatly improve the groove of the piece.  In this case the synth track is moved 55 ticks late...

Edited by jsg
  • Like 1

Hi Jerry.
You have great composing skills.
I recognized the dune sound and very clever how you integrated it with traditional orchestration.
If you are looking for a vocalist for collaboration I dont mind trying to help out.
You can hear my voice and various posts on here...  if I can be of assistance please send a pm.

well done.

Gary

Jerry
So I'm listening closely trying to pick up techniques to use for one of my current projects. I'm really impressed with the mix, how the instruments have their own space and don't crowd out others (which I guess is the definition of a good mix.)

Really enjoyed this piece. It's like an epic story you make up yourself while listening. Something like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garybrun said:

Hi Jerry.
You have great composing skills.
I recognized the dune sound and very clever how you integrated it with traditional orchestration.
If you are looking for a vocalist for collaboration I dont mind trying to help out.
You can hear my voice and various posts on here...  if I can be of assistance please send a pm.

well done.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Can you send me a link to your website or to music you have sung to?  My daughter is getting married and I wrote a song for her and her fiance, but haven't been able to bring people into my studio because of the virus.    I can't promise anything because I am looking for a particular  kind of voice (male or female) but if I can find the right singer who also has the ability to record their vocal part in their own studio, maybe we can work something out.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by jsg

I just got a new headphone amplifier today, and have been surfing around looking for high-fidelity content to test it out with.

I thought "hmm, I should find one of Jerry's tunes, that'd be a good test". And yay, here's a new one. Thank you, Jerry!

No critique, just "thank you, Jerry". Love your stuff.

23 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I just got a new headphone amplifier today, and have been surfing around looking for high-fidelity content to test it out with.

I thought "hmm, I should find one of Jerry's tunes, that'd be a good test". And yay, here's a new one. Thank you, Jerry!

No critique, just "thank you, Jerry". Love your stuff.

Thanks Bitflipper for listening to my work!

And thanks to Rob for listening..

Jerry

Edited by jsg