ujam 's IRON is 75% off ($39) at Plugin Boutique

Reid Rosefelt

Ujam must be getting ready to release v2 of their guitars.

Their latest guitar edition, Carbon appears to be the only guitar with new features such as MIDI drag n drop, and instrument mode.

Wonder how much a v2 upgrade would be?

33 minutes ago, abacab said:

Ujam must be getting ready to release v2 of their guitars.

Their latest guitar edition, Carbon appears to be the only guitar with new features such as MIDI drag n drop, and instrument mode.

Wonder how much a v2 upgrade would be?

You are so right.  It's coming.   And upgrades are rarely discounted.

But I like the ujam system.  I actually prefer it to Toontrack. They update the instrument and the MIDI at the same time.  And the cost of the upgrades are usually fair.

But yeah, there will eventually be a version 3 of everything they sell.  😄

16 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

You are so right.  It's coming.   And upgrades are rarely discounted.

But I like the ujam system.  I actually prefer it to Toontrack. They update the instrument and the MIDI at the same time.  And the cost of the upgrades are usually fair.

But yeah, there will eventually be a version 3 of everything they sell.  😄

Well I already have Sparkle, and the Dandy Bass with the new V2 features. I need to try out the Carbon demo. It would be nice to have the latest features in a guitar, so I will probably just wait to upgrade to v2 of Sparkle when it comes out.

I had some fun learning my way around Dandy this weekend. MIDI drag and drop for the phrases works, and if you hold a key or chord when you drag, that is what you get in the MIDI clip in your track. Nice!

Picked it up on the last day of the intro pricing. Very versatile sound, you can range it from mild to wild. Sounds best with a bass amp and cab simulator insert.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, paulo said:

I've never really taken to IRON. I usually end up muting whatever I have put in with it. Maybe it's just me, but I've always struggled to make it sit well in a mix.

Most of their guitars sounds slightly robotic unfortunately , and it’s a shame there’s no amp-bypass option for use with 3rd party amp sims. The acoustic guitars are better though, but not as good as NI session guitarist.

20 hours ago, Joakim said:

Most of their guitars sounds slightly robotic unfortunately , and it’s a shame there’s no amp-bypass option for use with 3rd party amp sims. The acoustic guitars are better though, but not as good as NI session guitarist.

Yeah, I agree - Iron would be definitely be more usable with a dry signal option.

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, paulo said:

Yeah, I agree - Iron would be definitely be more usable with a dry signal option.

Their entire product range would benefit with a wet/dry switch for those that prefer to use 3rd party FX plugins in the track, or mix buses.

But in all fairness, you can torn the amp knob setting to clean, and then turn  the knobs for delay,  chorus, reverb, and  drive to zero, which is probably not totally dry, but workable. Then insert an amp sim of your choice and get some new flavors.

Though when they add MIDI phrase drag and drop and instrument mode, I might be interested! 😁

Edited by abacab

I've actually had good luck with Iron.  The secret is to change the strum every or every other bar.  But use the keys that are next to each other so the change is minimal and it sounds closer to how a real guitarist would play.  Throw a few mutes in and it's good.  Then I use Amplitude or Guitar Rig to add effects, hide it in a mix and it is good to go. 

On it's own? Maybe not perfect.  But most of the time the rhythm guitar is not overly exposed.  So it works fast and easy for me.