midi track through soft synth?

Gary Edelman

I know how to insert a soft synth track & how to copy the data from an existing midi track to the soft synth track.
I'm assuming there is a better way to convert the midi track to a soft synth track & would appreciate any guidance in that matter.
Right now I record & play back my plain midi tracks  through my external synth( SC88) until I get the tracks the way I like them.
Is there a way to play back a plain midi track through the soft synth?    

Insert the a synth from the main menu (Insert > Soft Synth), from the track view context menu (right click in the empty space below the track headers), the + at the top of the synth rack or drag the synth from the browser. Use the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog to select an audio track (if one does not exist for the SC88). After adding the synth, point the MIDI track output drop down to the soft synth. To use the existing SC88 audio track if it exists, skip adding the audio track in the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog and set the input of the existing audio track to the soft synth.

You can just direct the midi tracks output to the soft synth question, but as to whether it's quicker than a copy/paste to an instrument track, I'm not sure.

Personally though if the midi is going to end up driving a soft synth I prefer to record it using that soft synth as things like velocity, note length,  modulation etc will sound different.

6 hours ago, paulo said:

You can just direct the midi tracks output to the soft synth question, but as to whether it's quicker than a copy/paste to an instrument track, I'm not sure.

Personally though if the midi is going to end up driving a soft synth I prefer to record it using that soft synth as things like velocity, note length,  modulation etc will sound different.

That's a very good point. I've had problems in the past not getting the right feel out of the synth sound I like because of the way it was recorded using a different synth.

6 hours ago, scook said:

Insert the a synth from the main menu (Insert > Soft Synth), from the track view context menu (right click in the empty space below the track headers), the + at the top of the synth rack or drag the synth from the browser. Use the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog to select an audio track (if one does not exist for the SC88). After adding the synth, point the MIDI track output drop down to the soft synth. To use the existing SC88 audio track if it exists, skip adding the audio track in the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog and set the input of the existing audio track to the soft synth.

Thanks,

Now I see what I was missing. If I understand it right  I have to insert a soft synth track with the sound I want first, to route the output of an existing midi track to it.