Big Moving Parts

PJH

This has been one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things that I’ve done musically (for myself) during this lockdown period. Larry (drummer) and I had a lot of fun recording this. The track forms part of my next solo album which I’m busy with at the moment. It was quite tricky doing all the filming and playing but I'm quite happy with the result. I also showed which VSTs were used in the making of the track.

I was able to use the Kemper Profiler for all the guitars in the way that I think it was meant to be used, in that most of the profiles were created by me. The profiles used in this track were created from my live rig using all the various pedals etc. This device has been a revelation for me in terms of guitar tone and ease of use.

Please note, if you normally listen to three or four minute songs this is definitely not for you. The track runs for around 12 minutes and is structured into three parts.

Hope you enjoy,

• Like 5

Very well done indeed.  This is perhaps the best -- in terms of the recording -- piece I've heard on this forum in quite a bit.   The arrangement is interesting, melodic and very well played -- the mix is terrific -- the guitar playing is solid and and the tones are tasty  -- the drummer is quite good.  My only nit is that this would have more impact and musicality with a solid bass player doing some interesting lines.   Good luck with your album.  (This should have had a lot of replies on this forum, but...)~~Allan

20 hours ago, ABull said:

Very well done indeed.  This is perhaps the best -- in terms of the recording -- piece I've heard on this forum in quite a bit.   The arrangement is interesting, melodic and very well played -- the mix is terrific -- the guitar playing is solid and and the tones are tasty  -- the drummer is quite good.  My only nit is that this would have more impact and musicality with a solid bass player doing some interesting lines.   Good luck with your album.  (This should have had a lot of replies on this forum, but...)~~Allan

Thanks for your comments, Allan. I appreciate you taking the time to listen. I kept the bass simple as all the playing on the track is kept in check with very little "over playing". It's a very dense mix at times but the definition is retained by all the instruments being a bit restrained.

Thanks for your wishes on the album!

Regarding amount of replies - hey, you win some, you lose some.

Cheers.

I really liked the visuals showing the different great parts. I thought the guitar work and tones were great. It must be nice working with a good real drummer. I miss working with a not real good real drummer .. You tube was glitching a lot , I'll listen to it again later.  Fantastic job! It was just too short.      mark

Damn Peter, that was great!! I love this type of music. I can listen to this over and over and....

This was a lot of work. And your to be commended on it. If you did all the video work, great job. You made it interesting to watch, had good angles and transitioned at the right times.

Now about that drummer!! Ole Larry getting his groove on fa shur! Great drummer, loved his fills, very tastefully done.

And during the whole video I kept thinking that you would go off on a lead tangent. But you never did. Even though there was more than enough room for it, you held back. And seeing your response to Allan confirmed what I was thinking. You just wanted to play tasteful and restrained, as you say. Very well done.

Loved the acoustic part. Very nice.

I could go on about the great mix, and such, but I am taking a guess that you can tell I really enjoyed it. It will get more than one listen!!

Edited by Grem

Well that was freakin awesome.

Got a great Pink Floyd / Alan Parsons vibe. Mix I thought was top shelf. Video was excellently crafted. Plus the guitar lust factor. Would be interested in which Kemper profiles were used . . . they sounded amazing.

The clarity and resolution of the vid was great, was that just filmed on a phone, or something a little more special? I thought the purple light accenting the acoustic guitar was especially neat.

so glad I heard this today!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks so much to everyone for the comments!

@Mark, well that's the first comment I've seen so far about a 12 minute track been too short 😀 Thanks for the kind words.

@ Lynn thank you! I was a big Line 6 Helix fan but I have to say I think that the Kemper definitely has the edge.

@Grem Thank you for your comments! Yes, Larry often doesn't get the credit that he deserves. Bear in mind he is a fantastic drummer who is capable of so much more but is always aware of over doing things in the studio. That's what makes him the ultimate session drummer.

@ emerald soul Thank you for your comments. The profiles were created by me and are profiles of my Marshall JCM2000 TSL using the MI Audio Super Crunchbox, MI Audio Super Blues Pro and Marshall Drivemaster pedals. I have three Sony HD video cameras and use these in conjunction with a Go Pro which I mounted above the drums. I also have two colour bar lighting rigs in the booth which are permanently setup via a colour mixer.

@Nigel Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter.

Great stuff Peter, the writing, arrangement, performance, mix and video; really enjoyed the PIP stuff.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:25 PM, ABull said:

This should have had a lot of replies on this forum

Things sometimes "fall through the cracks", its got some traction now.

t

especially like the way you lay down a melody and every time its repeated its just a bit different.
ear candy to be sure...

12 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Great stuff Peter, the writing, arrangement, performance, mix and video; really enjoyed the PIP stuff.

Things sometimes "fall through the cracks", its got some traction now.

t

especially like the way you lay down a melody and every time its repeated its just a bit different.
ear candy to be sure...

Thank you DA!

When a track is as long as this one you have to try and keep things interesting by changing the parts slightly. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers

• Like 1

Excellent work. The vid showing the parts is interesting to a studio guy like me ( though not sure of the rest of the GP. Maybe an alternate vid to the music in an artistic slant?).....and it shows this ain't no loops or vst instruments at work. Great skill here . Kudos to all involved. 

22 hours ago, Starise said:

Excellent work. The vid showing the parts is interesting to a studio guy like me ( though not sure of the rest of the GP. Maybe an alternate vid to the music in an artistic slant?).....and it shows this ain't no loops or vst instruments at work. Great skill here . Kudos to all involved. 

Thanks Starise! Yes, the video is just to make things a bit more interesting instead of just uploading the audio. I might look at adapting the visuals in the future and make it into a proper music vid.

15 hours ago, Fred's Gratis Scores said:

Very well done indeed! The multiple camera angles and PIPs were very interesting, especially seeing the main and harmony guitars playing at one. It was also cool to see Cakewalk in the background.

Thanks for the comments. It's much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed it!