MAJOR problem witha VSTi - Hypersonic - crash

JohnK

I only recently installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, but years ago I was using SONAR 9.0 32b

I am now converting all my old projects over.  As such, I need to change all my Synths within the projects. One of my major Synths I use is Hypersonic by Steinberg (old 32b vsTi).

It works perfectly within SAVIHost, and I have it "running" in Cakewalk, however:

1. When I press save with even just a simple project of just Hypersonic as a VSTi, it hangs ie "not responding" with spinning icon. I have even tried leaving it overnight, but no change.

2. If I just use it for a while, I get "Teleport server has stopped", and it then hangs. I am guessing its the auto save triggering the problem I have with save.

I did a search here, and others here are using it with rewire, but I am using it as a simple VSTi.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for the "teleport" type error I could try? is there a windows log I can provide for the devs to help alleviate this issue?

This synth  is a show-stopper for me, so I need to fix this issue, or its back to SONAR.

I looked at the "this" and it appeared more related to the loading of VSTi's, but that's not the problem I am seeing; its the save that crashes cakewalk.

The "server configuration", also isn't clear how to use or how it will help me. But I tried changing it to "12" (whatever that means) and it still falls over exactly the same.

JBridge seems like my only option to try next, but I am not big on the extra install, and the "trial" install path (I dont like the possibility of remaining rubbish from the trial on my PC)

But it is apparently my only option, and I REALLY want Hypersonic. I'll let people know if it works, as an option for others with similar problematic synths.

Just now, Nigel Mackay said:

"This" is not about VSTs load order, it is about assigning specific BitBridge servers to specific VSTs. Read the paragraph "BitBridge Server Configuration."

I didn't think and never implied it was about the order. I assumed it was the allocation  of running the process under a separate process group,

Just now, Nigel Mackay said:

Sorry I read you the other way round word order. 🙄 Experiment with what they say about assigning Hypersonic its own BitBridge server. Might just work. Save you the cost of JBridge.

Tried that, and it failed. Bit the bullet, installed the demo. On first attempt it seems to work. Just trying out how I can easily and neatly configure JBridge to only be used and visible for any and only plugins that needs it. ie Hypersonic.

UPDATE: Just tried and manually deleted all other JBridge DLL's, and it appears to be doing exactly what I had hoped. ie ONLY the Hypersonic JBridge'd is available, even though the original DLL is in a sub of my general scan folder

The slightly other unusual thing (but I can obviously live with), in the plugin setup for Hypersonic, the "use JBridge" is not selected, although obviously it is via JBridge (the prefix on the name).

I was worried the demo limitation of "not saving some plugins" would break my tests, but it does appear to save Hypersonic.

If you use JBridge externally to Cakewalk, when Cakewalk scans  Hypersonic is already encapsulated in a 64-bit wrapper. (JBridge puts the prefix to the name.)

If you have JBridge installed but don't encapsulate Hypersonic, Cakewalk knows that Hypersonic is 32-bit and you can enable JBridge in Plug-in Properties.

There seems to be a discussion about which route is better. I only have 1 32-bit VST and it works just fine with BitBridge so no opinion.

At least you have your beloved Hypersonic running again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John Kalabric said:

PS: Hypersonic sounds sweeeeeet

FYI: Hypersonic was created for Steinberg by a company called Wizoo, which was later bought by Avid. According to this SOS article (which actually reviews Steinberg's Hypersonic successor HALion Sonic), much of the content in Hypersonic 2 was later introduced in the Xpand! synth which at that time came bundled with Avid ProTools. The Xpand!2 synth is now owned by AIR Music Technology and can currently be bought for only $13. It has also been put on sale for just a few dollars quite a few times (I bought it myself for £1 a few years back). Of course, as Xpand!2 exists as a 64-bit VST you can have the benefit of a large memory addressing space and won’t have to use JBridge to run it. It does require iLock but not a dongle. As for how much content was brought over from Hypersonic I have absolutely no idea, but the factory content is pretty extensive with more than 2,500 presets.

Updating everything except plug-ins is asking for trouble.

32bit bridges were created to give plug-in developers and users time to transition to 64bit. 

They were not intended to extend the life of 32bit plug-ins indefinitely.

It is well past the time to look for 64bit replacements for software the manufacturers abandoned years ago.

• Like 1