Midi keyboard plugged into Android phone

X-53mph

Hi.

I've tried something else...

I've connected to my phone a voice effects USB pedal, because I've remembered this device has some MIDI functions (it has no keyboard to play, but you can use it as a controller for some DAW functions via MIDI events). And it works!!!! I can see the MIDI events in the USB MIDI Monitor app. In fact, when I start this app, it asks me if I want to connect to the USB pedal. When I try the same with the MIDI keyboard, the USB MIDI Monitor app asks me if I want to connect to "null" (?), but then says "no MIDI connection".  Seems like this app "founds" something, but maybe it's not compatible. Maybe Midiman Oxygen 8 is too old for this... adventures.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:02 PM, abacab said:

I've actually been thinking about acquiring a used or refurb older model of iPad for that purpose.

I got a used iPad Mini  in absolutely pristine condition for $65 on eBay, complete with an Otter Box. I had a first generation iPad mini and too many apps stopped working with it (although plenty still do, I can play my Mellotron and Arturia Mini Moog on it).

The 2nd gen iPads are a great deal because places like doctors' offices use iPads for check-ins, stores use them for inventory, whatever. And they dump them the moment Apple declares that they will no longer run the latest iOS.

There are starting to be some apps that won't update on my 2nd gen, but the older versions work. I figure it's good for a few more years.

Regarding using MIDI keyboards with Android devices, in my experience, the audio driver latency has been a problem. I hope that some clever developers come up with a better MIDI/audio subsystem so that Android tablets and phones can join the music making party. For now it's kinda true to its Linux roots, unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Regarding using MIDI keyboards with Android devices, in my experience, the audio driver latency has been a problem. I hope that some clever developers come up with a better MIDI/audio subsystem so that Android tablets and phones can join the music making party. For now it's kinda true to its Linux roots, unfortunately.

I heard one developer (don't recall who) mention that there were some issues with audio latency or something on the Android platform, so they decided to focus on Apple iOS until that was resolved. Apparently iOS is where the serious focus on audio app development is happening. Although it would be cool if Android was on par technically, as the devices are much less expensive.

I still like the idea of acquiring an older iPad to play with. :)

On 8/2/2020 at 10:53 PM, Philip G Hunt said:

my old M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller with my phone.

Hi again.

After more research and tests, I think maybe the problem is because the Midiman Oxygen 8 is not "class compliant", and there are no drivers for Android -as far as I know-.

So I'm also thinking that maybe your M-Audio Oxygen 8 is the V2 version, which possibly is "class compliant". Is it correct?

This is my keyboard:

910543426_Oxygen8.thumb.jpg.5fd9206fb1db5e5ed5465d1ef80cfdd3.jpg

And this is the M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2:

760117265_Oxygen8V2.jpg.bb2271bd61c755a9fb42f6c6e1721314.jpg

1 hour ago, tabraider said:

So I'm also thinking that maybe your M-Audio Oxygen 8 is the V2 version, which possibly is "class compliant".

If that is true, that would make a big difference. "Class compliant" opens a lot of doors because in that case the OS developer supplies default device drivers.

3 hours ago, tabraider said:

Hi again.

After more research and tests, I think maybe the problem is because the Midiman Oxygen 8 is not "class compliant", and there are no drivers for Android -as far as I know-.

So I'm also thinking that maybe your M-Audio Oxygen 8 is the V2 version, which possibly is "class compliant". Is it correct?

This is my keyboard:

910543426_Oxygen8.thumb.jpg.5fd9206fb1db5e5ed5465d1ef80cfdd3.jpg

And this is the M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2:

760117265_Oxygen8V2.jpg.bb2271bd61c755a9fb42f6c6e1721314.jpg

Sorry to disappoint, but my oxygen 8 is version 1.

I still use it with my laptop (works fine) and I've used it with the phone.

It must be something else. 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Sorry to disappoint, but my oxygen 8 is version 1.

I still use it with my laptop (works fine) and I've used it with the phone.

It must be something else. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not disappointed at all. This is a good thing.

And I'm thinking that the vocal effects pedal (with MIDI) that I mentioned before is also an old device, and I don't believe is class compliant either. And it worked fine with my phone.

The mistery continues...