Philip G Hunt

Midi keyboard plugged into Android phone

Posted (edited)

I wonder if anyone can help. 

I'm going camping next week in the wilderness, and wanted to take a keyboard to make music on. After browsing all the cool portable keyboards I got to wondering whether I could use my old M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller with my phone.

After doing some googling, I realised all I'd need was a USB-C to USB adapter to plug straight into to the phone, so I bought one, downloaded an app called Midi piano, and...viola... I've got a working piano triggers by the midi controller.

Now, my question: does anyone know of any cool android apps that work with midi controllers for making music. I've downloaded Caustic, but it's quite old. Anything cool and recent?

Cheers guys.

Edited by Philip G Hunt

4 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I wonder if anyone can help. 

I'm going camping next week in the wilderness, and wanted to take a keyboard to make music on. After browsing all the cool portable keyboards I got to wondering whether I could use my old M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller with my phone.

After doing some googling, I realised all I'd need was a USB-C to USB adapter to plug straight into to the phone, so I bought one, downloaded an app called Midi piano, and...viola... I've got a working piano triggers by the midi controller.

Now, my question: does anyone know if any cool android apps that work with midi controllers for making music. I've downloaded Caustic, but it's quite old. Anything cool and recent?

Cheers guys.

I've actually been thinking about acquiring a used or refurb older model of iPad for that purpose. All of the cool music apps are written for iOS. That appears to be where the mobile music market is happening today.

I believe I once heard a developer mention that there are still some issues with audio on the Android so that many have been shying away from that platform for mobile audio development.

I'm trying out lots of different apps.

ZenBeats owned by Roland seems like a fun and easy workstation in the style of the old Yamaha portable music makers (I used to have one... Wish I still had it).

There is also Fruity Loops for €20.

I don't think iOS is the only option anymore, it just had more options. 😉

3 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I  don't think iOS is the only option anymore, it just had more options. 😉

Maybe not, but it seems to be where all the cool kids hang out. 🤪

On 8/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, abacab said:

Maybe not, but it seems to be where all the cool kids hang out. 🤪

Sounds like an Apple add.😏

3 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Sounds like an Apple add.😏

Not really an Apple fan here, except for an iPod that I bought 10 years ago...haven't used it in years, since Android smartphones have taken their place. But there's no denying that the music app market is leaning toward iOS.

14 hours ago, abacab said:

Not really an Apple fan here, except for an iPod that I bought 10 years ago...haven't used it in years, since Android smartphones have taken their place. But there's no denying that the music app market is leaning toward iOS.

It looks that way. The monolithic hardware & claims that apple users are more willing to pay for apps probably make apple products more attractive to developers. 

there are a few decent paid (and some free) android-based keyboard apps and synths. oneimportant aspect - getting a good quality USB adapter which can provide the power to the keyboard (some adapters do not) - i've been using my Keystation 49 and Samsung Note 8, and a CANZ speaker (using the direct audio output to avoid bluetooth latency), and it seems to work fine.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

How about BandLab?

I mean, the DAW that runs on Android and iOS phones and tablets. BandLab had years of developing and marketing their other DAW's before they picked up SONAR and dusted it off.

A friend of mine bought an iPad and Apple app-blocked him from installing Garbage Band because his iPad could only take iOS 12, so I mentioned BandLab, and he's loving it.

Edited by Starship Krupa

For a mobile Android DAW with an available high quality USB audio driver, check out Audio Evolution Mobile (trial version available). Another great choice is G-Stomper Studio. Neither is free, but both are inexpensive. I recall spending about $14 for the AEM DAW and their audio interface driver combo. And I vaguely recall G-Stomper being about $10. Since I own both, I don't see prices anymore. 😕

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.aemobile&hl=en_US

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.planeth.gstomper&hl=en_US