Database Error and Database Update Failed

Jerry Gerber

Hi,

Tonight I installed Cakewalk, everything's working fine.  I then proceeded to uninstall Sonar Platinum, and now when I open Cakewalk, I get two messages:

1.  Database Error--Database connection failed.  Assigned plugin categories and names will be unavailable.

2.  Database Update Failed--The database update utility failed to run.  Please verify that Cakewalk is installed correctly.

What shall I do?

Thanks,

Jerry

SONAR and CbB share many files.

There used to be a warning when updating SONAR that uninstalling a previous version would damage the updated version.

The impact of uninstalling SONAR after installing CbB is the same.

In the case of SONAR Platinum, Bandlab recommends installing SONAR Platinum in full, then installing CbB and leaving both DAWs on the PC.

Uninstalling SONAR has removed  files used by CbB.

At a minimum, you need to uninstall CbB and re-install it.

The best solution is uninstall CbB, install SONAR Platinum then re-install CbB.

Any custom category assignments are gone unless you have a backup of %appdata%\Cakewalk\Library\Library.db

Re-installing restores the default database.

1 hour ago, scook said:

SONAR and CbB share many files.

There used to be a warning when updating SONAR that uninstalling a previous version would damage the updated version.

The impact of uninstalling SONAR after installing CbB is the same.

In the case of SONAR Platinum, Bandlab recommends installing SONAR Platinum in full, then installing CbB and leaving both DAWs on the PC.

Uninstalling SONAR has removed  files used by CbB.

The best solution is uninstall CbB, install SONAR Platinum then re-install CbB.

Any custom category assignments are gone unless you have a backup of %appdata%\Cakewalk\Library\Library.db

Re-installing restores the default database.

I fixed it, but a little differently.  I like to keep my DAW lean and thin.  Any program or files I don't use eventually get removed.   So I uninstalled Cakewalk (current version), uninstalled Sonar and reinstalled Cakewalk.  Everything is working fine.   Sonar doesn't need to be installed, but if shared files are removed that causes the issue. By reinstalling Cakewalk, all the shared files are restored. 

Thanks Scook..

• Confused 1

This is why I wrote

This will work fine unless you need to (re)run some of the Platinum installers.

Some of the Platinum installers only run if Platinum is found in the registry.

The act of uninstalling and re-installing CbB restores the shared files removed by uninstalling SONAR such as library.db.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scook said:

This is why I wrote

This will work fine unless you need to (re)run some of the Platinum installers.

Some of the Platinum installer series only run if Platinum is found in the registry.

The act of uninstalling and re-installing CbB restores the shared files removed by uninstalling SONAR such as library.db.

I think Cakewalk, particularly the new version about to be released that fixed the long-overdue problem with snap in the staff view (which I've tested and works great), will be sufficient and I won't need to use Sonar.  After Gibson destroyed Sonar, I backed up all of my Sonar installation files, put them on a CD and put them in a safety deposit box in the bank.  But now, I doubt I'll need them.

By the way, I don't quite get how Bandlab is giving a $400 program away for free.  I could understand it if they were just making it available, but the fact that they are fixing bugs and adding new features makes me wonder.  Nobody gives away such sophisticated software for free, well, almost nobody.  Do you think they'll start charging for it soon (which if OK with me) or is there some catch somewhere?  I do notice that the end-user doesn't really have a copy of Cakewalk, there's no .exe file to hold onto. 

Best,

Jerry

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

You do realise that by uninstalling Sonar you've lost all your previously paid for plugins (paid as part of the program)

Not sure what you mean.   I just opened up Z3TA-2 and Breverb and they work fine.   I paid for those separate from Sonar. As far as the other plugins that come with Sonar I am still using the Sonitus plugins.  After completely uninstalling Sonar, and reinstalling Cakewalk, the Sonitus plugins are also working fine.

Edited by jsg

On 8/2/2020 at 3:49 PM, jsg said:

I think Cakewalk, particularly the new version about to be released that fixed the long-overdue problem with snap in the staff view (which I've tested and works great), will be sufficient and I won't need to use Sonar.  After Gibson destroyed Sonar, I backed up all of my Sonar installation files, put them on a CD and put them in a safety deposit box in the bank.  But now, I doubt I'll need them.

By the way, I don't quite get how Bandlab is giving a $400 program away for free.  I could understand it if they were just making it available, but the fact that they are fixing bugs and adding new features makes me wonder.  Nobody gives away such sophisticated software for free, well, almost nobody.  Do you think they'll start charging for it soon (which if OK with me) or is there some catch somewhere?  I do notice that the end-user doesn't really have a copy of Cakewalk, there's no .exe file to hold onto. 

Best,

Jerry

Meng, who is Bandlab’s owner has stated several times that he has no intention of charging for the Cakewalk DAW. He has other significant music/audio related enterprises that do make him money. HIs family is particularly wealthy.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to  have the money to do what you want and still do something that is not directly profit related. Many have suggested ulterior motives or that there is some sinister intent yet to be revealed. It may just be that he’s a nice guy who has the “where with all” to do something benevolent for a community he too enjoys. I choose to believe the latter.

So far he’s been true to every single promise he made when the announcement was first made that Bandlab had bought the Sonar/Cakewalk Intellectual Property from Gibson and the DAW would continue to be developed and remain free to use via a licence. All things considered I think Noel and the team have done a great job balancing development of new features with bug fixes related to long standing problems.

I think its a remarkable feat actually - All credit to Meng for being able to direct what seems a unique venture in an industry that’s is typically money and image driven.

You can very easily save the Cakewalk by Bandlab installer.exe file. The program only needs reactivation every 6 months and this can now be done offline (I think).

4 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

Meng, who is Bandlab’s owner has stated several times that he has no intention of charging for the Cakewalk DAW. He has other significant music/audio related enterprises that do make him money. HIs family is particularly wealthy.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to  have the money to do what you want and still do something that is not directly profit related. Many have suggested ulterior motives or that there is some sinister intent yet to be revealed. It may just be that he’s a nice guy who has the “where with all” to do something benevolent for a community he too enjoys. I choose to believe the latter.

So far he’s been true to every single promise he made when the announcement was first made that Bandlab had bought the Sonar/Cakewalk Intellectual Property from Gibson and the DAW would continue to be developed and remain free to use via a licence. All things considered I think Noel and the team have done a great job balancing development of new features with bug fixes related to long standing problems.

I think its a remarkable feat actually - All credit to Meng for being able to direct what seems a unique venture in an industry that’s is typically money and image driven.

You can very easily save the Cakewalk by Bandlab installer.exe file. The program only needs reactivation every 6 months and this can now be done offline (I think).

Well, Michael, that really is good news, thank you for sharing that with me.  I know there are many people in this world who are motivated by other things than money and profit.   If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, that's great for all of us.  I too choose to write music that I want to write after spending 12 years writing soundtracks that paid very well.   I couldn't justify the reward (financial) for the musical and intellectual compromises I had to make.  So I understand very well when a person can, and does, decide to involve themselves in a labor of love.   

What drove me away from Sonar was one thing:  The snap function in the staff view.  Now that its been fixed, I have "fallen in love" with Cakewalk again.   My 1.5 years with Digital Performer made me realize how superior Cakewalk is in so many ways, and I've come to believe it is the most under-rated and under-recognized DAW on the market.   More power to Bandlab for keeping such a great DAW available not only for free, but still fixing bugs and adding features.   

Best,

Jerry

• 1 year later...

I had this problem too, when I uninstalled for the first time I kept the shared files, and the problem persisted when I reinstalled.

This time, I have deleted all the relevant registry entries by the third-party software, and there is no problem with the installation again.

Edited by tauyyy