Using an imported audio as a MIDI clip's output sound (SOLVED)

Yang T'ienjen

Hello here.

There is an imported short audio together with a MIDI clip. Now, I want to set the output sound (or "instrument") of this MIDI to be this audio. In other words, use MIDI to adjust the pitches of this audio's copies automatically.

Does Cakewalk support this kind of function? If so, what should I do?

Thanks!

Edited by Yang T'ienjen

You can adjust pitches in Melodyne. 

Select the audio track or part of it.

Click on Region FX 

then click Melodyne - Create region FX.

It will convert the audio to blobs, Each one is a note.  You can change the pitch by moving the blobs up or down.

You cannot access an audio file as an instrument directly via MIDI. You need an intermediate plugin application: a sampler (application can record and play back audio clips) or a rompler (application only plays back clips that are stored in it). You would need to load the audio files into the sampler and then you can play them back under MIDI control. You can directly paste audio clips into an audio track manually, but if you only have the clip/sample at one pitch you would need to pitch shift it to match each instance. Trying to do that in Cakewalk would be challenging.

@Max Arwood Thanks for your tutorial, but I think you misunderstood ... I don't mean to adjust some parts' pictches of a long audio.

What I want is: For instance, I have a pretty short audio clip which is just 0.5 seconds long and it sounds like "DING". Now use it as an instrument to form a song (by creating many copies of DINGs and change the pictch of each of them): DING(c) DING(e) DING(e) DING(d) DING(e) DING(c), something like that.

@slartabartfast Thanks for replying and I got it! What I need is just a sampler. I choose sforzando by PLOGUE and it works well.

Yang , In the above post you had 6 DINGs in different keys. You can always copy the 1'st Ding and paste the rest of them where you want them be. Do a "bounce to clips" that places all of them on the same clip. Then select that clip (with the 6 Dings) and then use melodyne to change the keys of the different dings. When you "render" that section it will have all the key changes you wan't. You can then paste it wherever you want in your song.  Depending on how complicated you song is you wouldn't have to do it many times. Verse , chorus , etc ..        mark

This is actually the case that makes me understand why a simple sampler track built in the DAW is so handy. No need for tedious sample editing, no need for external sampler installation. Just pick a sample and start writing your melody. Adjust fades if needed, like here: 

Another great feature is to audition acidized samples from media browser as matched to project tempo and beat all while playing the project.

Edited by chris.r

4 hours ago, Yang T'ienjen said:

@mark skinner Thanks for replying. Perhaps it's true that we can place some DINGs into a single clip and use Melodyne to edit it. But for me, using a sampler is more convenient and direct, as in my case all sounds share the same source (timbre). I'm more used to MIDI editing also.

Grace is my favorite free samplers.

Grace (Grace is below Poise -You can try Poise also - Piose won't change pitch)

https://www.onesmallclue.com/

You might even be able to use Sitala (Won't change pitch)

https://decomposer.de/sitala/