Sync Problem with Dune

Hello,

I have 36 MIDI tracks and 1 softsynth (Dune 3, a VST plugin).   When I playback the sequence everything is perfectly in sync, even with lots of meter and tempo changes.

But when I render the sequence to audio and play back the audio file, there's a certain point (at measure 95) where the softsynth begins out of sync.  I've tried recording right from that point in time, but the problem still happens.  Here's what I've tried:

1.  Turning off delay compensation on the plugin (no go)

2.  Moving a cc7 240 ticks earlier than the note that has the problem (no go)

3.  Moving a tempo change, which occurs right at measure 95 back to m94 beat 4 clock 240.   (no go).

Anybody know what might be causing this?  I've not seen it happen in all the years I've been working with softsynths that are synced to tempo..

Thanks for any help!

Jerry

Edited by jsg

Don't have Dune.  I just listened to the Dune demo - Wow!  That synth sure has some sounds in it.   If it were me I would insert another dune and split the tracks and try to render 1/2 at a time. Or if it plays right when you listen you could send to an aux track.  They are like a bus but have a record button. That way you could play/listen to the track and just record the synths sounds to the Aux track. (Like freeze but slower.) Then you could archive Dune to regain you CPU power.

I just wanted to say I have listened to you work for many years, but lately you have upped things a notch.  I really like your new stuff. So many things going on they really keep my attention so I can focused on the whole song and all the little pieces of the puzzle keep me listening to the end!

Max Arwood

25 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Don't have Dune.  I just listened to the Dune demo - Wow!  That synth sure has some sounds in it.   If it were me I would insert another dune and split the tracks and try to render 1/2 at a time. Or if it plays right when you listen you could send to an aux track.  They are like a bus but have a record button. That way you could play/listen to the track and just record the synths sounds to the Aux track. (Like freeze but slower.) Then you could archive Dune to regain you CPU power.

I just wanted to say I have listened to you work for many years, but lately you have upped things a notch.  I really like your new stuff. So many things going on they really keep my attention so I can focused on the whole song and all the little pieces of the puzzle keep me listening to the end!

Max Arwood

Thanks Max.  I've never seen this problem before and have recorded with Dune many times.   I prefer to render the entire sequence at once, but I may try your suggestions if I cannot resolve this.  I wrote the company that makes Dune, maybe they'll have an idea.  I also tried inserting a brand-new Dune track and I copied and pasted all the MIDI data to the new track, but this doesn't resolve it, I thought maybe the track might have gotten corrupted, but that's not the case.

I also tried restarting the DAW but this doesn't work either.  I'm stumped, at least so far.  Dune seems to missing the tempo change entirely, and then it tries to catch up a few beats later, but of course this doesn't work because it's already out of sync with the rhythms of the other instruments and the tempo of the sequence..

Yeah, Dune has been my favorite synth for years.  It has incredible sounds and is fairly easy to program from scratch.  Thanks for the comments about my music, glad you enjoy listening.

Jerry

Problem solved.  I downloaded the latest version of Cakewalk and now it's fine.

I was using the last version of Sonar, I know, I'm a real holdout.  Until this sync issue, I was having no issues at all with Sonar, so I didn't bother to upgrade.

Jerry