(SOLVED) How do I direct monitor with Scarlett 4i4 and Focusrite Control?

Billy86

I can’t figure out how to direct-monitor my input on the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 Gen 3 interface, so I can record with what they claim is zero latency. I’ve read the online documentation and the Manual. They tell you it can be done, but not HOW to do it. I’ve watched every video I can find, and I’m still lost.

My previous Scarlett had the direct monitor/DAW playback mix knob on the front; this is now controlled by Focusrite Control software, but I can’t figure out how to route it inside Focusrite Control.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Billy86

The new Scarletts use a driver/software mixer named Focusrite Control that controls routing within the interface. There is a separate user manual for that software available in your Focusrite download area. The short answer is that you open Focusrite Control and route the input you want to monitor to the output that serves your headphone jack. On the 4i4 you probably have outputs 1&2 assigned to monitor (which allows you to control volume or monitor speakers attached to those outputs) with the knob on the unit) , and probably 3&4 will show with a symbol of headphone in addition to line plugs. Click on the window with the headphones and click on the plus sign tab and it will let you add as input the input you are recording on. There are factory default presets that may confuse you and make it look as if you have no options to change things, so  go to file>presets> Empty to open a preset that clears all entries. You can also route the same recording input to your DAW so that it records, but you will need to mute or disable the output from your DAW to the headphones or you will get an echo. Once you get it set up the way that works for you, you can save it as a new preset and open it any time.

4 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

The new Scarletts use a driver/software mixer named Focusrite Control that controls routing within the interface. There is a separate user manual for that software available in your Focusrite download area. The short answer is that you open Focusrite Control and route the input you want to monitor to the output that serves your headphone jack. On the 4i4 you probably have outputs 1&2 assigned to monitor (which allows you to control volume or monitor speakers attached to those outputs) with the knob on the unit) , and probably 3&4 will show with a symbol of headphone in addition to line plugs. Click on the window with the headphones and click on the plus sign tab and it will let you add as input the input you are recording on. There are factory default presets that may confuse you and make it look as if you have no options to change things, so  go to file>presets> Empty to open a preset that clears all entries. You can also route the same recording input to your DAW so that it records, but you will need to mute or disable the output from your DAW to the headphones or you will get an echo. Once you get it set up the way that works for you, you can save it as a new preset and open it any time.

Thanks for the help! I think I've got it with this explanation, and with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUlooITi3Eg. This is probably the best at explaining how Focusrite Control works that I've found. The direct monitoring part comes at about the 9 minute mark. This helped me: In Focusrite Control, "think of each output having its own individual mixer" which you can set up how you want, based on what you want to hear.  

• Like 1