Anyone download AIR Structure 2..??

SynthManDan

Anyone here have experience with downloading AIR Structure 2 Sampler/Player?

I’m downloading it from PluginBotique, and I see it’s a 5 part download.  I might be wrong, but I thought it used to be a single download.  Has anyone here done that 5 part download, and how did it go?

I know it’s over 30 gigs of content (which is why I’m connected directly via Ethernet).  

SMD

Yep, five parts.

It's been awhile since I downloaded it, but I don't remember any problems.  Of course, as always, a successful download depends on your ISP connection and system.

Assuming you have a reasonably fast ISP connection, I'd just let it do it's thing and the test is extracting the compressed parts.  If it goes well, you're golden.  If it gives you errors, then the download is likely corrupt.  If that happens, I'd disable any bg processes (ie. anti-virus) and try again.

So would downloading all 5 parts first, then turning off Anti Virus prior to extracting the files be the best route, or are you saying download the parts without Anti Virus running in the background, then extract?

SMD

Edited by SynthManDan

For Pete’s sake.  I just sat and waited for Part 1 to download.., all that time waiting and just at the end of extraction I get a message “insert disk to ect”.  Cancelled that pop up and everything in red saying files corrupted.  WTF!  That was just Part 1...

2 hours ago, SynthManDan said:

So would downloading all 5 parts first, then turning off Anti Virus prior to extracting the files be the best route, or are you saying download the parts without Anti Virus running in the background, then extract?

SMD

Disabling the antivirus is advisable when you're seeing strange glitches or your downloads are corrupt.  I'd leave AV on when extracting (I don't recall it ever creating a problem, but of course, if the extracting bombs, just disable AV and try again).

IIRC, you have to download all five parts before extracting since they are essentially one package.  Do this:

- DL all five parts.

- Extract Part 1.  It will unzip all of them.

Edited by JonD

20 hours ago, JonD said:

Disabling the antivirus is advisable when you're seeing strange glitches or your downloads are corrupt.  I'd leave AV on when extracting (I don't recall it ever creating a problem, but of course, if the extracting bombs, just disable AV and try again).

IIRC, you have to download all five parts before extracting since they are essentially one package.  Do this:

- DL all five parts.

- Extract Part 1.  It will unzip all of them.

Well got it working!  Do you know off hand how many sound categories there are supposed to be?  I keep worrying that I didn’t get them all (I don’t always have the best luck with sample players and sound content.., like SampleTank 4 SE., what a nightmare!)

SMD

35 minutes ago, SynthManDan said:

Well got it working!  Do you know off hand how many sound categories there are supposed to be?  I keep worrying that I didn’t get them all (I don’t always have the best luck with sample players and sound content.., like SampleTank 4 SE., what a nightmare!)

SMD

I don't have them installed anymore to count them, and they are not listed in the manual or the AIR Music product page. But the Structure 2 library should be about 37GB in size.

I uninstalled it to make room for SampleTank 4 MAX. You think SE was a nightmare, LOL!!!

I thought that the samples in Structure 2 were very good. But the UI is quite dated at this point and needs an update.  Especially needs a scalable UI and a better browser. But if you are patient it is mostly functional.

Here is a review (from 2015): https://soundbytesmag.net/structure2byairmusic/

34 minutes ago, abacab said:

I don't have them installed anymore to count them, and they are not listed in the manual or the AIR Music product page. But the Structure 2 library should be about 37GB in size.

I uninstalled it to make room for SampleTank 4 MAX. You think SE was a nightmare, LOL!!!

I thought that the samples in Structure 2 were very good. But the UI is quite dated at this point and needs an update.  Especially needs a scalable UI and a better browser. But if you are patient it is mostly functional.

Here is a review (from 2015): https://soundbytesmag.net/structure2byairmusic/

Thx, I saw they review not too long ago.  The only issue I have with it right now is that it seems the longer I browse the presets it then doesn’t seem to load them.  I’ll select a preset, all is great, about 15 minutes later (after selecting another preset) the text in the loading bar with the sample info will randomly  turn red.  Then samples won’t load, and I have to restart my DAW.

SMD

Edited by SynthManDan

1 minute ago, SynthManDan said:

Thx, I saw they review not too long ago.  The only issue I have with it right now is that it seems the longer I browse the presets it then doesn’t seem to load them.  I’ll select a preset, all is great, about 15 minutes later the text in the loading bar with the sample info will turn red.  Then samples won’t load, and I have to restart my DAW.

SMD

The InMusic Brands family of companies like AIR Music Tech and SONiVOX have been years since  releasing the last update or bug fix patch for their older products. I'm not certain they ever updated anything for Windows 10 (released 2015), and they are falling further behind every day as Windows evolves. Not a good recipe for continued compatibility.

Development of application software is best kept in sync with the developments kits used by the latest OS. Using the OS (Windows 7) that was mainstream when the application was written and tested may be the best option for compatibility.

If you think you found a bug in Structure you could contact their support and open a ticket, but if it needs a patch I wouldn't hold my breath. https://airmusictech.com/support

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

The InMusic Brands family of companies like AIR Music Tech and SONiVOX have been years since  releasing the last update or bug fix patch for their older products. I'm not certain they ever updated anything for Windows 10 (released 2015), and they are falling further behind every day as Windows evolves. Not a good recipe for continued compatibility.

Development of application software is best kept in sync with the developments kits used by the latest OS. Using the OS (Windows 7) that was mainstream when the application was written and tested may be the best option for compatibility.

If you think you found a bug in Structure you could contact their support and open a ticket, but if it needs a patch I wouldn't hold my breath. https://airmusictech.com/support

I agree.., they’ve not really been keeping up with updates for Windows.  I’ve already got a workaround for the issue, and that’s just setting up Multitimbral templates with Structure in my DAW.  Structure is actually pretty CPU friendly too.  I have a feeling that I’ll be able to run multiple instances if necessary.

I’ve got quite a few VST’s from AIR and SoniVox.  No problems with abt of them.

AIR: Mini Grand, Xpand2, DB-33, Velvet, Hybrid 3, and Structure 2.

SoniVox: 88 Ensemble, Orchestral Companion Strings and Woodwinds, Big Bang Universal Drums, and the Singles Bundle.

All of these run great for me with Windows 10 Pro and Home Edition.

SMD

1 hour ago, SynthManDan said:

I agree.., they’ve not really been keeping up with updates for Windows.  I’ve already got a workaround for the issue, and that’s just setting up Multitimbral templates with Structure in my DAW.  Structure is actually pretty CPU friendly too.  I have a feeling that I’ll be able to run multiple instances if necessary.

I’ve got quite a few VST’s from AIR and SoniVox.  No problems with abt of them.

AIR: Mini Grand, Xpand2, DB-33, Velvet, Hybrid 3, and Structure 2.

SoniVox: 88 Ensemble, Orchestral Companion Strings and Woodwinds, Big Bang Universal Drums, and the Singles Bundle.

All of these run great for me with Windows 10 Pro and Home Edition.

SMD

I would  agree that Structure 2 is much more CPU friendly than SampleTank for example.

Yes, I have  the AIR and SONiVOX collections. Picked them up on sale a few years ago. Most of the AIR stuff is very good, especially the synths and keyboards. However, I have run across a few bugs with Structure 2, Strike 2, and Transfuser 2. Those also  appear to have the oldest UIs of the bunch, as well. No bug fixes for those in 4 years. I did go ahead and pick up the new Loom 2 because I like that instrument, even though my confidence in AIR was beginning to lag by that point.

I actually have issues with all of the SONiVOX instruments, except for the 88 ensemble, which is nice. I'll just leave it there.

In any case there are some great deals on those, if you can live without ongoing support and development, and especially if your budget is tight. But I think that I have finally decided to spend any further money on supported products only. Plus there is some excellent freeware available that is currently supported, and works. The TW16x is a good example of a freeware sampler. https://www.tx16wx.com/

Too bad most sample libraries are proprietary, such as is the case with Structure's.

14 hours ago, abacab said:

I would  agree that Structure 2 is much more CPU friendly than SampleTank for example.

Yes, I have  the AIR and SONiVOX collections. Picked them up on sale a few years ago. Most of the AIR stuff is very good, especially the synths and keyboards. However, I have run across a few bugs with Structure 2, Strike 2, and Transfuser 2. Those also  appear to have the oldest UIs of the bunch, as well. No bug fixes for those in 4 years. I did go ahead and pick up the new Loom 2 because I like that instrument, even though my confidence in AIR was beginning to lag by that point.

I actually have issues with all of the SONiVOX instruments, except for the 88 ensemble, which is nice. I'll just leave it there.

In any case there are some great deals on those, if you can live without ongoing support and development, and especially if your budget is tight. But I think that I have finally decided to spend any further money on supported products only. Plus there is some excellent freeware available that is currently supported, and works. The TW16x is a good example of a freeware sampler. https://www.tx16wx.com/

Too bad most sample libraries are proprietary, such as is the case with Structure's.

Structure is definitely more CPU friendly.  I ran 6 instances, and barely scratched my CPU.  If I ever upgrade from SampleTank 4 SE, I’m getting the boxed version.  

SMD