Why use the Pro Channel?

Matt Erece

Question

Hi! I know it seems like a beginner question but it's because I am one. The pro-channel is cool, it contains a lot of ready to use modules, EQ and you can even add an FX Chain to add your effects. But what is its purpose if you can also add effects below the prochannel?

And when using reverb, compressors, eq. Which one should I use? The prochannels or to just add the effects?

7 answers to this question

Since you are a beginner I'd suggest you stick with all the Pro Channel modules for now. After you learn those tool inside and out you can then venture out into the world of 3rd party plugins of which there a literally thousands available sometimes cheap and sometime quite expensive.

Agreed on that video which was being posted as I was hitting post too.

Edited by Bapu

On the other hand, I'm a long time (30+ years!!) Cakewalk user and have never gotten into ProChannel. I few years back I tried it out, and concluded that I wasn't getting anything different from what I'd already been using. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see the advantage for people already using the other effects bundled with Cakewalk. All my effects are Sonitus. Am I missing something essential?

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

Not at all, my response to the OP was about ProChannel only. As that video by Secret Sauce (linked above by @Nigel Mackay) shows, one can make really good sounding songs with just the Pro Channel modules.

OK good. There's so much ink devoted to ProChannel I always feel like I'm ignoring something I need.

12 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

OK good. There's so much ink devoted to ProChannel I always feel like I'm ignoring something I need.

I'm also a long time Cakewalk user and the only thing I use in the Pro Channel is the Eq.  I like that it has a frequency spectrum analyzer and is very flexible and to my ears sounds very smooth.  I never liked the compression in the Pro Channel and as for saturation, console emulation etc.  I have 3rd party which I prefer. I use the Sonitus suite much more, mainly for problem solving. The Sonitus Eq is great for notching out problem frequencies and I use the compressor for sidechain ducking. I use the gate, multiband compressor, delay and modulator as well. I know the Sonitus suite is old in its' look but it's my go to for many jobs and wouldn't want to work without it. 

Regards

4 minutes ago, tonemangler said:

I know the Sonitus suite is old in its' look but it's my go to for many jobs and wouldn't want to work without it. 

Yeah, and hard as I try, I just can't hear the 'look' of a plug-in in the finished product. Maybe it's my ears...

5 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

On the other hand, I'm a long time (30+ years!!) Cakewalk user and have never gotten into ProChannel. I few years back I tried it out, and concluded that I wasn't getting anything different from what I'd already been using. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see the advantage for people already using the other effects bundled with Cakewalk. All my effects are Sonitus. Am I missing something essential?

Not at all, my response to the OP was about ProChannel only. As that video by Secret Sauce (linked above by @Nigel Mackay) shows, one can make really good sounding songs with just the Pro Channel modules.