SampleTank 4 is Out

ZincT

The IK dude said they will allow the pre-release intro pricing to remain in effect for a limited time to accommodate folks that requested to compare the released versions instrument lists before making any decisions.

Another comment he made was that the SampleTank 4 SE edition will come with more content than SampleTank 3 full version did.

• Like 1

Finished downloading.  Finished extracting everything.  Install of first content pack failed.  Not finding anything in the manual about copying files to a specific location to install, but I'll try to figure it out.  Epic fail for a start IK.

1 hour ago, Genghis said:

Finished downloading.  Finished extracting everything.  Install of first content pack failed.  Not finding anything in the manual about copying files to a specific location to install, but I'll try to figure it out.  Epic fail for a start IK.

OK, moved my install files so that they weren't nested as deeply and it finished.  I had it buried in my AudioApps\IK Multimedia\SampleTank4 folder on an external drive, and by the time you extract everything it added a couple of extra layers deep. I've seen similar things occur, so figured that might be it.

The IKM ST4 webpage now includes lists of what's included with each version....

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/#soundlist

I am quite surprised at what's not included in the ST4 standard version.

It doesn't have the variety of instrumentation that I would have expected e.g. no strings.  ST3 standard version had more variety.

For someone needing a general purpose sample library that would make ST4 MAX almost a necessity.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

The IKM ST4 webpage now includes lists of what's included with each version....

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/#soundlist

I am quite surprised at what's not included in the ST4 standard version.

It doesn't have the variety of instrumentation that I would have expected e.g. no strings.  ST3 standard version had more variety.

For someone needing a general purpose sample library that would make ST4 MAX almost a necessity.

That puzzled me at first.

But then I noticed SampleTank 3 content downloads in my IK products link for the SampleTank 4 Standard downloads.

In the provided products list for ST4, I see way down at the end:

SampleTank 3 Instrument Collections: SampleTank 3

So it appears that they are also including the existing ST3 instruments, and the list  is mainly showing the "new" content. So you are not really losing anything, but are only gaining what is  actually listed as new. If this is the case, then the ST3 and ST4 content is intended to be used together to provide the complete sound library.

My guess is that you don't actually need to install the ST3 content again if you already have that, but it is available for new ST4 users. This is just a guess, since I am an ST3 "upgrade" customer. We will probably need to hear from a newbie to confirm this.

Edited by abacab

9 hours ago, abacab said:

That puzzled me at first.

But then I noticed SampleTank 3 content downloads in my IK products link for the SampleTank 4 Standard downloads.

In the provided products list for ST4, I see way down at the end:

So it appears that they are also including the existing ST3 instruments, and the list  is mainly showing the "new" content. So you are not really losing anything, but are only gaining what is  actually listed as new. If this is the case, then the ST3 and ST4 content is intended to be used together to provide the complete sound library.

My guess is that you don't actually need to install the ST3 content again if you already have that, but it is available for new ST4 users. This is just a guess, since I am an ST3 "upgrade" customer. We will probably need to hear from a newbie to confirm this.

Yes I guess they are including ST3 to fill in the gaps. For me though I already have ST3 MAX so I'm only really interested in what's included in ST4. I also have full Miroslav Philharmonic (not to mention lots of other string libraries) so I am well covered but I just thought the standard ST4 should include some strings. I was thinking that ST4 standard would maybe include all (or most) of the instruments but just have fewer articulations compared to MAX.

I am also assuming that I don't need to download any of the ST3 bits as I already have these installed plus quite a bit extra from ST3 MAX. I have now downloaded everything new in ST4 but I am holding off installing anything until some of the teething problems I have read about on KVR have been fixed. 

I went for the Max version and had my usual IK issues with corrupt downloads. Now I’ve got everything downloaded, I find that I have an extra file which no longer appears in my download list - namely "SampleTank_4_MAX_Instruments_Installer_Part2.zip". It has completely different contents from Part 1.
Anybody else got  this file and should I go ahead and install it?

Edited by GroverKen

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

Yes I guess they are including ST3 to fill in the gaps.

I believe it is more than that. It seems that they decided not to re-create the instruments from ST3 that were still good enough for ST4, like the strings and orchestral stuff. So it's a new engine and a UI facelift, with some new sounds, but with the same old sounds as well!

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Is glad that he grabbed the Sampletank 3 free edition before they pulled it 😂

That ST3 free edition can also be used to import ST2 libraries. That can be a good thing if you have any of those, because ST4 cannot use ST2 libraries, unless you import them into ST3 first.

42 minutes ago, abacab said:

That ST3 free edition can also be used to import ST2 libraries. That can be a good thing if you have any of those, because ST4 cannot use ST2 libraries, unless you import them into ST3 first.

I never imported ST2 libs into ST3. Man is my work cut out for me when ST4 MAx arrives on the USB stick.