File Indexing - On or off?

Rod L. Short

^^^ Yup. Much bigger deal than file indexing.

An even bigger boogeyman is your network interface. Might want to consider shutting that service off if you're having any performance issues. When I was struggling with a potato computer, I wrote a batch file to disable the network before starting up SONAR. Windows just assumes that nothing you could possibly be doing on your computer is more important than getting Microsoft notifications in a timely manner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, bitflipper said:

As long as you're excluding your audio data, indexing should not have any noticeable impact on performance.

What is the procedure to do it? Or you mean to exclude just the Audio Data folder and not any audio files on the entire disk?

There is no need to globally exclude audio files because they'll only be re-indexed after being edited or updated. You probably aren't going to be editing the audio that plays when you get an error message or an email, or the sound files from video games. I exclude my entire project drive, plus my sample libraries drive for good measure. Granted, I may be waiting a few milliseconds seconds longer for a Kontakt library to load as a result, but I can live with that.