A theme called Lead [Updated to CbB 2021.12]

Canopus

1 hour ago, FrankyCHAMBERS said:

Nice Theme

Thanks, glad you liked it.

As for the T over the W on the Write Automation button (I saw your post pre-edit); as you may have found out, it's not a mishap. It simply indicates which automation mode is currently selected for that track - Touch, Latch or Overwrite. Read more here:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Automation.04.html

• 3 months later...

No changes have been made to CbB 2021.11 that require theme updates but I've made two changes nonetheless. This is purely a maintenance update, triggered by comments in two different user threads in the CbB forum.

• The total number of events at the bottom of the Event List was very hard to see as the text was rendered in a light-gray colour on a bright background. That text has now been slightly darkened to stand out better. The problem is that the same text colour is used elsewhere on a dark background, so perfect contrast is impossible to get in both locations. See below, before and after. On a side note, the problem with the Event List counter is actually found in the default theme Tungsten as well.

I6RDDwx.png

• I’m not a big fan of theme changes that radically deviates from the graphical elements used in the default GUI, as such changes might make the user documentation hard to follow. However, I’m prepared to make exceptions when the default GUI in itself is contradictory to what most users probably would expect. A recent thread regarding the PDC (delay compensation) button in the Mix module has highlighted one such problem. When the PDC button is activated it actually turns PDC off. The FX button in the Mix module has the same problem; when it’s activated, it actually turns all effects off. I have tried to remedy these problems by updating those two buttons with a strikethrough in all my themes. I also changed the colour to red when activated. Here’s an example that shows before and after in Gran Vista and Lead:

VDKO0Ek.png

hnVFyvn.png

Maybe not as visually appealing, but in this case it's function before form. YMMV.
  • Great Idea 1

Excellent. This is where custom themes start to improve on the original UI choices in terms of basic usability. Those Mix module buttons drove me nuts.

Next thing is to change the default Pre/Post button text so that it reads "Pre" when it's in that state. It's funny, but these things smooth the workflow by eliminating that moment of "okay, which state is it in again?"

One of my Easter Eggs is what you see when you bypass all effects. It might be a local SF East Bay joke, but even if you don't get it, it's still descriptive.

Yeah, I weighed the pros and cons of changing buttons as far as varying from the pictures in the documentation, but I decided to just go for it. It takes a certain amount of sophistication to load custom themes anyway, and I consider my buttons to be more intuitive (and certainly more visible) anyway.

Edited by Starship Krupa

On 11/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, Canopus said:

The total number of events at the bottom of the Event List was very hard to see as the text was rendered in a light-gray colour on a bright background. That text has now been slightly darkened to stand out better. The problem is that the same text colour is used elsewhere on a dark background, so perfect contrast is impossible to get in both locations. See below, before and after. On a side note, the problem with the Event List counter is actually found in the default theme Tungsten as well.

Could you share which color in Theme Editor sets this? I'll need to check this in my themes.

7 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Could you share which color in Theme Editor sets this? I'll need to check this in my themes.

Preferences > Customization > Colors > General > Window Text

T.E. Global > Window Text

It affects several windows.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sjoens said:

All colors ('cept the one above) are in Preferences > Customization > Colors > Event List.

T.E. only has Note Events

Thanks!  I seem to remember changing colors a while ago but more recently I couldn't find how I used to do it. Sounds like I probably did it before I started using CbB and the theme editor.  Another old man memory issue mystery solved!  🙂  

I’ve finally realized that the 2x (Plug-In Upsampling) button in the Mix Module is an override button as well. As I never use that button it wasn’t clear to me. For consistency that button has now been modified in the Lead theme similarly to the two buttons mentioned recently in this thread.

As a concequence of the introduction of nested folders in CbB 2021.12, the Archive button was modified into an eight-state button. Although that button has never been modified in any of my themes, and thus quitetly inherits the eight-state Archive button from Mercury, a change to the theme validation logic in the production release of CbB 2021.12 flagged these themes as possibly incompatible on startup. Well, they weren’t, but in order to get rid of that annoying message I had to import the very same Archive image from Mercury that was already being used into all my themes.

Update from the appropriate link in the opening post.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Canopus said:

a change to the theme validation logic in the production release of CbB 2021.12 flagged these themes as possibly incompatible on startup

Damn, maybe this is why @vlefteris is complaining that my older, 2021.12-compliant themes are "out of date". If so, I apologize! I guess I will have to update them also as you've described, @Canopus.

• Thanks 1